Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Candidate Thread: Brad Stevens (Boston Celtics)

What really sucks to me is that I wish Steven’s would say that he seriously considered the job and it was incredibly difficult for him to turn it down. That would help Indiana and the Indiana fans out quite a bit. Now we are going to get absolutely wrecked and ridiculed for believing that Stevens would consider us. Pisses me off. 

Also....the Boston fans are every bit as vitriolic as Indiana fans. They want him gone. His roster is not good. Wait until they find out he got a 2.5m raise. 

4 minutes ago, TucsonHoosier said:

emotional investment clouds perception

Not my perception. I’m not the complete die hard that some around here are. I just know basketball in the state is better when IU is good.

Lots of entitlement in this thread. People provide free info that ends up not working out perfectly and they get attacked. I don’t blame these guys for not wanting to share what they hear anymore. We’re all fans of the same team and I’m looking forward to seeing who ends up leading the program. 

4 minutes ago, Josh said:

I think anybody who insisted that Stevens was coming here (like myself to family and coworkers) lost credibility here.  Next time we insist something, do you think they're going to remember this?  I certainly do.

What's your definition of credibility?

Why would you insist and not give the caveat you read it online and believe it for x, y, and z reason? 

There has been nothing come out to indicate any of the information presented was wrong.  They worked behind the scenes for 2 months to figure out what it would take, made offer that met that requirement.  I would like to believe Brad did not expect Celtics to match the offer.  When they did, the equation changed. I may be naive but why does there have to be a bad guy in this?  

Just now, mamasa said:

Love most of the new posters. You, not so much 

In defense of HSN he's not from there. He's a long time negative poster over on the rivals site.

17 minutes ago, SteelerHoosier said:

Nope. Who else is out there?  The list isn't as great as people keep clamoring. If Beard lets have fun watching his teams throw rocks as they labor to 50-55 losses all conference slate. Oh but he has 2 20 win seasons in 5 go rounds at TT though! If Drew let's have fun having a **** lead our program. Whose next after? Some random Knight player who isn't qualified?  Stevens was the golden ticket. We weren't good enough. We will be back here before the decade is over looking for a new coach. 

Pitino or Alford.  I’m telling ya. Ffs. 

9 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I will say that IU met with the Stevens family since January, maybe even end of December. It was a good fit we thought, we listened to everything they had to say, we met everything they wanted, they agreed to the offer, then went back to Boston and he got the sesame things from them. 2.5 million raise to over 7 million now. If this is then end of Brad then Scott will get someone good for 7 million. I’m sorry I just tried to pass on everything I getting. I don’t get paid for this and I’m just as disappointed as anyone 

We are all disappointed.  I want to thank you for what you bring and hope you continue to share as much as you know here or at least PM me with what you are hearing ha lol.  You offer insight that a lot of us could never know and I appreciate that and hope you will continue to bring it.  You have been like the one person not going around saying things like ‘done deal’.  You have been consistent that IU was hopeful and offered everything they were being told would get him.

I don’t think BS set out to play us for one minute.  That’s not who he is.  If he did end up getting more money from Boston today and that changed things then I have lost all respect for him though.  But that’s just me.  IU should never approach him again.  

If this is indeed over I just want someone that wants to be here the way CTA wants to be here.

NBA is a vastly superior game than NCAA. Add to the fact that the Celtics increased his pay to $7M a year, that’s tough to overcome. That franchise is also tied with the Lakers for the most championships in NBA history. I thought home would be a bigger factor in this equation. However, since Brad now considers himself a “Masshole”, so be it

Well I for one don't think you were really wrong about anything Chris.  The end result changed when the Celtics matched the offer with a raise and probably job security.  Nothing we can do about that.  But I fully believe the events happened as you revealed and people thought it was a done deal when he agreed with our offer but then changed his mind.  Those of us who are reasonable around here, appreciate what you bring to the board [mention=7005]Chris007[/mention]

I think this is probably true. Speculation wasn't just from Chris and 0708. Rabjohns reported last night that it was in play too, so there was clearly something going on. This wouldn't be the first time a coach got really far along in the process and backed out at the last minute. He could have been playing us, or he could have just gotten cold feet at the end. Either way it's disappointing, but this is not life and death. Hopefully the guy we ultimately land is awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Why would you insist and not give the caveat you read it online and believe it for x, y, and z reason? 

Because I believed.  I got burned.  I lost credibility.

3 minutes ago, Josh said:

Getting rid of the worst coach in the Big Ten!  Worth every penny

be careful - we may still have the worst in the Big 10, along with a pissed off donor with $10M less to his/her name.

If Brad truly got a raise from the Celtics, which will be made public for everyone to see, I have no problem with what the insiders were saying. Until then it’s hard to believe, because the done deal wasn’t a done deal and now I look like an idiot to my closest IU friends.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

1 minute ago, ap2345 said:

I just want to know exactly what happened.

If I have to guess, everything was going smoothly, looked like he was going to take the job.....BAM...Boston offers him a fat raise(guessing today) and decided to stay just because of the money