Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Mike Woodson to be next IUBB coach. Thad Matta to be associate AD

1 minute ago, str8baller said:

Agree. I’m not blown over by the pick, but there is upside to sell. 

Seems Dolson wanted Stevens. struck out. Went for matta but health was an issue and scrambled from there

I get that everyone wanted Stevens. Swing and a miss. It happens I think this combo ranks pretty high in what remained. 

Having TM around the program and focused on BB too, cures most of the concerns about Woodson. And we still get 3 assistants. 

6 minutes ago, jmsgws said:

As a middle school kid, I shot baskets in the driveway pretending to play with Woodson.  I can appreciate what he means to IU's history.  I welcome him back to IU, and wish him a lot of success,

That being said this whole thing perplexes me.  If I were going after a former player with NBA experience I liked a Keith Smart hire better, but that is only a matter of degree.  I think this goes to show you that IU is no longer a top tier destination.  If Woodson was choice A, B, or C.  I think this deal would have been done a while ago.  

As someone who has talked about how my apathy to this program has grown over the last 5 or 6 years, for me this doesn't do anything at all to build excitement.  The only thing I am excited about in regards to college BB now, is hoping without much hope that someone is going to knock off Gonzaga. 

I struggle to see how anybody could look at the resumes of Kieth Smart and Mike Woodson and come to the conclusion that they would rather have Smart.

Iworry about the translation from pros to college for the NBA guys, but Woodson’s reputation as one of the more respected assistants in the league isn’t in question. 

To me, hiring Woody and Matta is sorta like the same thing. 

Don't get me wrong, as I said -- I like Thad, and he would've near the top of the list if healthy, but unless we hire a Michael Lewis or similar assistant who can be more involved than an associate AD, I don't get it. 

As far as I know, Matta won't be able to recruit ... 

I have no interest in the NBA, but that's what interests young players today so there's that.  If the top recruits want to play in the NBA, and play in a system that is like and prepares them for the NBA, a veteran NBA player and coach makes sense.

I don't know how well it will translate, but Dakich claimed the previous staff did little to no instruction on shooting - Woodson was a damn fine mid-range shooter.  Hopefully he can teach the skill.

1 minute ago, iu eyedoc said:

So, the biggest problem I see with Mike Woodson is that he has never recrui...

What's that? Thad Matta? The guy that ripped the heart of Indiana talent to Colombus, that Thad Matta?

He is going to be what?

Nevermind.

Matta won't be able to recruit or coach, even in practice, in his role. 

2 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

Reposting this for some prospective on CMW's NBA success:

Someone give me some context for the Woodson hate. He is a well respected, defensive minded coach that, by the player interviews posted on here seems to hold players( even NBA players) accountable. His record as the Hawks HC overall was mediocre, but the team improved every year to the point of 53-29 in his last season. As Knicks HC, he coached them to their only 1st place finish in the Atlantic division  since 1993 and most , wins since 1994. HeII, his 37 wins in his 2nd season are more wins than any NYK team he didn't coach since 2003. He isn't my first choice, but it seems that a lot of dislike for him, much like like for others is just a lot of posters parroting others.

I get he would need some strong recruiters, but I don't see the reason for all the angst towards him as HC

If I am wrong, I don't watch NBA, so I might well be, please point to what I am missing.

Well he's only been a head coach twice and he posted losing records int he regular season and post season with both organizations.

He coached when basketball was different, it's simply different from 2014. Kids will only know Carmelo and hell, they don't know the good Carmelo like you and I may know. 

He's been an assistant in the league because it's a coaching frat. Once you're in the league and assuming you network and do a decent job, you're a lifer. 

I don’t dislike the hire but this is a disappointing result. With the resources at our disposal, we could have made a bigger splash. I still don’t think Woodson would be on the list if he wasn’t a former player. 

Fan apathy is at an all-time high after some truly irrelevant basketball the last 5 years or so. If this hire fails, I don’t know where IU basketball will be. People will just stop watching. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Matta won't be able to recruit or coach, even in practice, in his role. 

No but he can scout and do things within the team from his office. He can help Coach Woodson navigate the NCAA rules. Help with introductions to the key people in recruiting circles.