Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

15 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Gold. It can also, for the most part, be applied to IU basketball. I think the Woodson supporters don't understand...we don't have a top recruiting class coming in. Who know who we will lose. Nobody is confident he can land the talent needed in the portal. Next year could be worse than this year. Ex: Michigan. 

If it is worse, Woody will be gone for sure.

5 minutes ago, lillurk said:

Like most of you I’ve been pretty emotionally disinvested from this year’s team for awhile. But for some reason CMW’s press conference comments this morning are just really galling to me.

Appropriately, Woodson was wearing black... but he lied continually - he hasn't taken responsibility for anything up til the Nebraska loss at SSAH... so done with his attitude and his blaming everything int he world... and to restate what I've said 100 times, Xavier Johnson isn't the answer. He never was. But he makes a nice scapegoat for Woodson...

5 minutes ago, SamIam said:

Quinn loves Woody, but he also wants an IU guy. For them, someone who has a connection to our past and an understanding of RMK is really important. Hence Woody always saying "Bob Knight is Indiana Basketball."  For that reason I actually think it makes May a little more likely. For Dolson, May is the compromise candidate, he is still an IU guy which the old guard/Quinn really values but he's young and trending and there are a ton of jobs open right now so Dolson can say we need to move now to secure our guy for the next 20 years. Plus its easily the most cost effective option. It's harder to go to Quinn and say this isn't working we need to move to get Pearl or anyone else because they will likely be in the same exact spot next year, except probably with a reduced buyout on their and IU's end, so why not give one of your own the benefit of the doubt and let Woody try and turn it around. 

Does Quinn really want an IU guy or does Quinn want "his" IU guy?  If it was just an IU guy, Alford or even Dane Fife would have made more sense than Woodson.  

1 minute ago, SamIam said:

Quinn loves Woody, but he also wants an IU guy. For them, someone who has a connection to our past and an understanding of RMK is really important. Hence Woody always saying "Bob Knight is Indiana Basketball."  For that reason I actually think it makes May a little more likely. For Dolson, May is the compromise candidate, he is still an IU guy which the old guard/Quinn really values but he's young and trending and there are a ton of jobs open right now so Dolson can say we need to move now to secure our guy for the next 20 years. Plus its easily the most cost effective option. It's harder to go to Quinn and say this isn't working we need to move to get Pearl or anyone else because they will likely be in the same exact spot next year, except probably with a reduced buyout on their and IU's end, so why not give one of your own the benefit of the doubt and let Woody try and turn it around. 

Who wouldn't want a successful and proven IU guy coaching? I would, but there really aren't any out there right now.  Michael Lewis at Ball St. and they are 13-14 right now. That's not gonna cut it.  My interest would be peaked if he was doing what Josh Schertz is doing at Indiana St. Alford has always been on the outside looking in. Is May the guy we want? He is definitely looking pretty favorable, but I'm not the AD and neither is Quinn,.....Dolson is.

I want IU to be back in contention, ALWAY making the NCAA tourney and being a force game in and game out. This hasn't happened in decades. If it is Pearl, Oats or whoever, I just want IU consistent and relevant again. 

Quinn needs to let Dolson his job.

3 minutes ago, JF87 said:

Does Quinn really want an IU guy or does Quinn want "his" IU guy?  If it was just an IU guy, Alford or even Dane Fife would have made more sense than Woodson.  

hahaha omg-- could you imagine hiring Dane Fife as our HC? You talk about underqualified. 

Dane is part of the reason we got stuck with Davis to begin with--- we should have let his @$$ transfer. 

Alford made more way sense than Woodson if it had to be an iu guy
Quinn wants his iu guy is the bottom line

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

hahaha omg-- could you imagine hiring Dane Fife as our HC? You talk about underqualified. 

Dane is part of the reason we got stuck with Davis to begin with--- we should have let his @$$ transfer. 

Are you old enough to have seen/remember Dane Fife play?

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

This made me look into Fife again and honestly....with how Izzo and Woody have done without him....there's at least a conversation to be had. MSU had 4 of the 5 previous years in the top 10 of KP with Fife, then he left and they have been 64, 42, 26, 20. Obviously we have also seriously regressed since he left too. Not saying he should be the guy but damn

Quote from Dolson in a new article about Curt Cignetti:
““The decision for us [to fire Allen and hire Cignetti] was really looking at, ‘What’s the trajectory of our program right now and where’s the trajectory of football in the Big Ten?’” Dolson said. “With expansion and all that is happening in terms of football in the Big Ten, it became not ‘What is the cost of making the change?’; it was, ‘What is it going to cost us if we don’t make the change?’”
https://t.co/BAUJCfvLfg
@Stuhoo essentially said as much verbatim before Allen was ever let go. Good call Stu

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, SamIam said:

This made me look into Fife again and honestly....with how Izzo and Woody have done without him....there's at least a conversation to be had. MSU had 4 of the 5 previous years in the top 10 of KP with Fife, then he left and they have been 64, 42, 26, 20. Obviously we have also seriously regressed since he left too. Not saying he should be the guy but damn

I've wondered if a new coach could potentially get him back here as an assistant, or if that bridge has been burned. Given his stance on NIL, I wouldn't want him handling any recruiting tasks, but maybe just have him focus on defense and player development. We had a top 25 Kenpom defense the year he was here, last year it slowly got worse and by the end of the season we were back to scrambling around and leaving people open just like we did before. 

11 minutes ago, Willkie71 said:

I’ve heard it mentioned many times that the one reason Buckner and the donors would give Woody another year is that they consider this year a fluke. But in reality it’s the two previous years that were flukes, imo, this year is the new normal.  When I saw Trayce, Race, Jalen and Miller at the Nebraska game last week it became clear for me.  Trayce was the leader.  Many games he basically willed us to win.  I loved it when we made a great play the crowd went wild and he did the raise the roof move.  I also remember after a particular bad game he called the team together for a players only meeting and they responded after that.

There’s no longer any team chemistry or leadership on this team.  This year woody had to build a new team with portal players and freshmen.  This is the way it’s going to be every year with him, he just doesn’t have it.  I loved him as a player but that was long, long ago and just proves there is a huge difference between coaching College and NBA. 

I sure do miss those guys from last year. The sweep of Purdue seems so long ago.

IU, do the right thing, Woody gotta go. Do it respectfully before his legacy is tarnished beyond repair.

Go IU

None of the years where flukes.  This year was to be expected -- everyone has a down year.   The bigger problem is program trajectory.  We got nothing.  If we didn't have to wait for the portal to see what the team may look like, we could be more optimistic.  But with as many players that will be needed, it's going to be a complete cluster fk.  

28 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Appropriately, Woodson was wearing black... but he lied continually - he hasn't taken responsibility for anything up til the Nebraska loss at SSAH... so done with his attitude and his blaming everything int he world... and to restate what I've said 100 times, Xavier Johnson isn't the answer. He never was. But he makes a nice scapegoat for Woodson...

If anything, Xavier is the reason why this season has gone downhill.

Supposedly a lot of guards we were looking at last spring in the portal didn’t want to compete with Johnson for playing time - again, supposedly.

XJ is by far the most athletic guard that we have but he has been so inconsistent. You never know what you’re going to get with him. And can anyone say that he would be considered a positive leader? Just as in the video shot of Galloway being frustrated the other day when people weren’t running or even knew the play, good leadership prevents that.

Woodson put all his chips in with Johnson, and has continually rolled snake eyes since.

1 hour ago, Sardinefarts1991 said:

If it's true , like I read a prior poster say...that 10% drop in attendance in around 3-4 million for IU basketball.  That to me definitely has to get Dolson thinking about not just... trajectory but also it financially not making sense to keeping on to Woody.  I definitely see a 10% drop next year as there's no "hope".

The problem is that most people will still renew their season tickets because they don't want to lose them when we do finally get a new coach. But they will stop going to the games so other things will drop like concessions.

Also, I think our NIL will go down so that will hurt also.