Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

4 minutes ago, Tasmanian Devil said:

If anything, Xavier is the reason why this season has gone downhill.

Supposedly a lot of guards we were looking at last spring in the portal didn’t want to compete with Johnson for playing time - again, supposedly.

XJ is by far the most athletic guard that we have but he has been so inconsistent. You never know what you’re going to get with him. And can anyone say that he would be considered a positive leader? Just as in the video shot of Galloway being frustrated the other day when people weren’t running or even knew the play, good leadership prevents that.

Woodson put all his chips in with Johnson, and has continually rolled snake eyes since.

He hasn't really played enough to be consistent or inconsistent. I am not a fan whatsoever or ripping players (especially publicly) but he's been a bust. This team would be totally different and better, regardless of the counter arguments with him starting. But he's not, and hasn't for two seasons now. It's hard to contribute when you can't play. 

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

The problem is that most people will still renew their season tickets because they don't want to lose them when we do finally get a new coach. But they will stop going to the games so other things will drop like concessions.

Also, I think our NIL will go down so that will hurt also. 

Yep......There are a lot of pieces to the puzzle that Dolson has to think about and definitely knows. This is what makes his job both very difficult at times and rewarding. It also can so sideways real quick too.

If Woodson comes back next year, the expectations would surely be low.  My fear would be he exceeds what little expectations there would be and we continue wallowing in mediocrity.  Honestly, this is the worst case scenario.  Will be difficult to root for  Woodson coached team next year.  

38 minutes ago, SamIam said:

This made me look into Fife again and honestly....with how Izzo and Woody have done without him....there's at least a conversation to be had. MSU had 4 of the 5 previous years in the top 10 of KP with Fife, then he left and they have been 64, 42, 26, 20. Obviously we have also seriously regressed since he left too. Not saying he should be the guy but damn

Dan Fife was 82-97 at IPFW

18 minutes ago, Five Prime said:

If Woodson comes back next year, the expectations would surely be low.  My fear would be he exceeds what little expectations there would be and we continue wallowing in mediocrity.  Honestly, this is the worst case scenario.  Will be difficult to root for  Woodson coached team next year.  

My take, deep down, ....he totally wants to win and make IU prominent and proud. He has had great difficulty in doing anything close to that, at least this year. If and IF his is surprisingly back next year, he will be under the biggest microscope and hottest seat. I wouldn't want that on me....JMO

40 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Are you old enough to have seen/remember Dane Fife play?

Yeah. He was mid...had exactly one season in his career avg over 5.1 points a game.... and his first 3 years combined he shot 27% from 3. 

He had a solid SR season and we went on a lucky run, so our fanbase remembers him in more of a positive light than we should. 

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Yeah. He was mid...had exactly one season in his career avg over 5.1 points a game.... and his first 3 years combined he shot 27% from 3. 

He had a solid SR season and we went on a lucky run, so our fanbase remembers him in more of a positive light than we should. 

He was a tremendous leader, a great defender, accepted his role, and played hard every game. We'd be in a lot better position today if we had more Dane Fife's on our team. 

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

He took over in their 3rd year in existence. Previous best season was 9 wins. He did a nice job of building a small-major program, got into a real conference, and made them competitive.  

I don’t think any of that means anything in relation to the IU job, but he did well enough there to jump into Izzo’s staff. 

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Yeah for a McDonald's all-American, he had a very lackluster career as a player. There were several games his freshman year where Knight didn't even play him. For 3 years he was a Chris Reynolds or Jamaal Meeks. Then as you said he got hot as a senior.

I’ve heard it mentioned many times that the one reason Buckner and the donors would give Woody another year is that they consider this year a fluke. But in reality it’s the two previous years that were flukes, imo, this year is the new normal.  When I saw Trayce, Race, Jalen and Miller at the Nebraska game last week it became clear for me.  Trayce was the leader.  Many games he basically willed us to win.  I loved it when we made a great play the crowd went wild and he did the raise the roof move.  I also remember after a particular bad game he called the team together for a players only meeting and they responded after that.
There’s no longer any team chemistry or leadership on this team.  This year woody had to build a new team with portal players and freshmen.  This is the way it’s going to be every year with him, he just doesn’t have it.  I loved him as a player but that was long, long ago and just proves there is a huge difference between coaching College and NBA. 
I sure do miss those guys from last year. The sweep of Purdue seems so long ago.
IU, do the right thing, Woody gotta go. Do it respectfully before his legacy is tarnished beyond repair.
Go IU
And even with all that talent last year Woodson still lost 12 games and got blown out in the round of 32. Imo last year was his ceiling and its only going to get worse.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

25 minutes ago, Tasmanian Devil said:

If anything, Xavier is the reason why this season has gone downhill.

Supposedly a lot of guards we were looking at last spring in the portal didn’t want to compete with Johnson for playing time - again, supposedly.

XJ is by far the most athletic guard that we have but he has been so inconsistent. You never know what you’re going to get with him. And can anyone say that he would be considered a positive leader? Just as in the video shot of Galloway being frustrated the other day when people weren’t running or even knew the play, good leadership prevents that.

Woodson put all his chips in with Johnson, and has continually rolled snake eyes since.

Johnson is also the most problematic guard on Woodson's team. He's streaky, plays out of control, and is a horrible leader as a 6th year player. The fact that Woodson put all of his chips on Johnson shows me all I need to know about Woodson. And the fact that other guards were afraid to challenge X tells me a lot about them, as well. But this is on Woodson and his inability to recruit. 

Add to all of that that Galloway is overworked and Cupps was thrown into the fray so quickly and so completely also speaks to Woodson's inability to get any servicable guard to commit... makes one wonder what the sales pitch was.

1 minute ago, OGIUAndy said:

He hasn't really played enough to be consistent or inconsistent. I am not a fan whatsoever or ripping players (especially publicly) but he's been a bust. This team would be totally different and better, regardless of the counter arguments with him starting. But he's not, and hasn't for two seasons now. It's hard to contribute when you can't play. 

The times he has played, however, has been extremely disappointing.

In a 5 game stretch from the Minnesota game to Iowa, he had */- numbers of -13, -20, -6, -1 and -13. Not exactly what you want out of a 6th-year point guard. And who can forget his two flagrant fouls and the technical for passing the ball to Coleman Hawkins after making a great play before halftime?

Woody could have brought in other guards, but he gambled it all knowing that he had a guy that had been volatile in the past and injured in the past. And we’re seeing the direct result of that misjudgment.

Hopefully Woodson is just kinda being told to change his tone and what he says in the pressers to try and easy the transition of him leaving and someone else coming in so that he doesn’t appear to be the “I’m never wrong and this isn’t my fault” type of guy when he makes his exit. On the other hand, if it’s just him trying to do it on his own to save his own butt and thinking he needs to be the guy next year, then yikes, we’re not buying it. The more quotes that come out of what he’s saying just make me think he’s clueless, untouchable, and unaware of what needs to change, and it won’t happen unless someone tells him he’s gotta go. 

I am thinking the lowest expectations since creans first three years. Probably bottom 5 of the big ten imo would be the average prediction.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I'm not advocating for Dane Fife as the IU coach.  I just stated that an argument could be made that he would have been a better choice than Woodson.  IPFW won 7 games the year before Dane took over.  His team improved incrementally and had winning records his final 2 years as head coach.  Fife then spent around 10 years as one of the lead assistants for Tom Izzo.  Fife's resume of college head coach and assistant coaching experience is as good or better than Woodson's NBA resume if you're hiring a college coach.  

5 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

He was a tremendous leader, a great defender, accepted his role, and played hard every game. We'd be in a lot better position today if we had more Dane Fife's on our team. 

He was a Top 15 recruit in the country, he was a bust, but his time here is remembered fondly because of Coverdale, Jefferies, and a lucky run in March. 

I don't really have any interest in more 27% 3pt shooters. 

I'm not advocating for Dane Fife as the IU coach.  I just stated that an argument could be made that he would have been a better choice than Woodson.  IPFW won 7 games the year before Dane took over.  His team improved incrementally and had winning records his final 2 years as head coach.  Fife then spent around 10 years as one of the lead assistants for Tom Izzo.  Fife's resume of college head coach and assistant coaching experience is as good or better than Woodson's NBA resume if you're hiring a college coach.  
Prior to Dane fife the weren't even division 1. That factors in. He was a big part of where that program is today imo

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, JF87 said:

I can't possibly think of a way you'd come up with that Fife is more qualified than Woodson. To each their own, though.