Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

3 minutes ago, TadQueasy said:

Fife is not just remembered for a lucky run.  He was the poster child for a Knight type player.  Tough, smart, solid defender, always willing to do the little things.  

The biggest thing I remember him was willing to say glued to Izzo through Appling, Payne, etc etc etc etc. Telling to me. 

He was a Top 15 recruit in the country, he was a bust, but his time here is remembered fondly because of Coverdale, Jefferies, and a lucky run in March. 
I don't really have any interest in more 27% 3pt shooters. 
You could tell from day one he was not a top 15 player in the country. But neither is Xavier booker. Sometimes they are just dead wrong on rankings.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Yeah for a McDonald's all-American, he had a very lackluster career as a player. There were several games his freshman year where Knight didn't even play him. For 3 years he was a Chris Reynolds or Jamaal Meeks. Then as you said he got hot as a senior.

"the quality of look" he got his SR year was also next to perfect---- JJ, Coverdale, and Hornsby were who teams were trying to stop... if they left Fife/Odle wide open-- teams were fine with that. 

15 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Dan Fife was 82-97 at IPFW

That isn't bad for IPFW considering they had just gone D1.

It doesn't necessarily have to be Fife but they needed an actual D1 college assistant in the program.  Not a recruiter, a coach.  Woodson would also have to be open to listening to that person or people about changing up his approach to fit the college game.  Given his media availabilities lately, I don't think he is going to be willing to listen.  Even with people feeding him lines about taking responsibility for the year, he still let's his true feelings out.

Woodson jettisoned his best college experienced staff and it has shown.  Fife's approach to NIL should probably be somewhat incorporated into the program as well.  The mercenary approach isn't working.  You need kids who like the idea of whatever is going on at Indiana with the NIL being a really nice addition.  I don't think we are getting the culture this fanbase wants (and that leads to winning) with the current approach.

17 minutes ago, Artie86 said:

My take, deep down, ....he totally wants to win and make IU prominent and proud. He has had great difficulty in doing anything close to that, at least this year. If and IF his is surprisingly back next year, he will be under the biggest microscope and hottest seat. I wouldn't want that on me....JMO

You can't recruit high school players when you're on the hot seat which means that we count on free agency, oops, I mean the portal to bring in new players.  We have to build a program and culture. That isn't happening under Woodson.  Time for a change. 

2 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

That isn't bad for IPFW considering they had just gone D1.

It doesn't necessarily have to be Fife but they needed an actual D1 college assistant in the program.  Not a recruiter, a coach.  Woodson would also have to be open to listening to that person or people about changing up his approach to fit the college game.  Given his media availabilities lately, I don't think he is going to be willing to listen.  Even with people feeding him lines about taking responsibility for the year, he still let's his true feelings out.

Woodson jettisoned his best college experienced staff and it has shown.  Fife's approach to NIL should probably be somewhat incorporated into the program as well.  The mercenary approach isn't working.  You need kids who like the idea of whatever is going on at Indiana with the NIL being a really nice addition.  I don't think we are getting the culture this fanbase wants (and that leads to winning) with the current approach.

I'm sure he learned a lot of tricks of the trade from Izzo.... on the Appline, Payne issues. I have little to no respect for Dane Fife. 

10 minutes ago, TadQueasy said:

Fife is not just remembered for a lucky run.  He was the poster child for a Knight type player.  Tough, smart, solid defender, always willing to do the little things.  

Indiana fans think Indiana is the only spot where 6ppg role players "do the little things" and are "tough"... there are 1000 Dane Fife's a year in CBB. He wasn't special. 

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Also don't want to turn this into DF thread but he was the type of player off the court that he despises as a coach. 

yeah he has so many on here fooled lol ..... crazy how things skew their minds. To each their own, I will do my best to refrain from derailing this thread anymore. 

Pretty sweet foul the "always in the right spot" guy committed in the Sw16. 

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Also don't want to turn this into DF thread but he was the type of player off the court that he despises as a coach. 

I've never met Dane.  I've heard a few interviews.  He seems like a guy with a weird sense of humor and you probably have to be his friend to get him. LOL

1 minute ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

ENOUGH!   

This is the Fire Coach Woodson thread not a Dane Fife This Is Your Life thread.  Somebody start a new thread if you want to keep the Fife convo going.  Thank you and drive safely on your way home.

Is CMW fired yet?

3 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

ENOUGH!   

This is the Fire Coach Woodson thread not a Dane Fife This Is Your Life thread.  Somebody start a new thread if you want to keep the Fife convo going.  Thank you and drive safely on your way home.

Stop It Golden Girls GIF by TV Land

3 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

ENOUGH!   

I wish he had not fouled Jay Williams.

(ducks)