Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I think that is where the standstill is. Woodson and Buckner have a couple of these big donors with blank checks on their side. So Dolson either needs to flip one which I think is tough, or find another one. Then you have to weigh the consequences of making a couple of your biggest donors upset. 

If anyone can find a solution to the issue you laid out, it’s Dolson. 

9 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

The reason I said Oats is someone on the coaching candidates thread seems to have some inside knowledge that he won't be back at Alabama. He's always wanted to get closer to the midwest. Why not go after him? 

He has a $10M buyout on top of Woody's $12.5M.  So you're probably in around $30M just for his first season after buyouts and salary.  Might be tough.

15 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

As much as I hate to say it, I think you are correct. 

Hopefully that means they are working behind the scenes to lock someone up like Bruce Pearl. I do agree with others that Quinn isn't signing off on anything unless they have a plan in place and a guy ready to go. I still think there is an opportunity down the road to hire Dusty May so long as his upward trajectory continues. I think coaching at a school like Miami or Florida St would do his career wonders...and it's entirely possible that one or both of those jobs may be open here in the next month. 

6 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Everything is negotiable. So let's see what happens

Great point! If Woodson loves IU like I suspect, is there a chance his buyout/retirement package is lower? I'm probably being naïve, but he's made millions at IU and has lifechanging money. Will he give an IU discount? Is the buyout even a big deal? Someone mentioned TV money of 100 million.

It is honestly just crazy to me that there is anyone in any sort of position of power that thinks this should carry on. We really think after this year that Woodson can hang on to the good pieces of this roster AND build around them? We really think the 2025 class is going to be lining up to join the party? It's time to rip the bandaid off and if people in charge are purposely turning a blind eye to this just because of relationships then I have no idea what to say

23 minutes ago, iu-dl said:

I'd be all in on Oats. Big fan. I have no interest in rolling the dice, including on Dusty May. He's 3-5 years away from an IU gig in my opinion. He's still winning some games he shouldn't because they're an underdog; it is a thing. Pearl or Oats seems most realistic. Or...gimme Stevens whose personal helicopter was rumored to be circling Assembly Hall last night according to flight records. Or bring my personal pipe dream of a coach out of retirement, Jay Wright.

100%!  Two thumbs up!

32 minutes ago, iu-dl said:

I know Pearl has a crush on IU. Dusty May is obvious. Would Oats even consider it? Why step into a Bloomington hornet's nest with an expectation to take a program back into the blue-blood discussion? There are only 1-2 guys in the entire country that could accomplish that, and I'm not sure either of them would come to Bloomington. Summary: Who is realistic, who is not, who is the dream?

Agreed. I think it all depends on ego.

Are you willing to take a risk to become a legend at a starved basketball school by restoring their sleeping giant program to glory?

Or are you content with making big bucks as a second fiddle (if that) in the shadows in Tuscaloosa?

Certainly couldn't blame anyone for choosing Option #2. But in a profession where there are bigger egos than ever...... who knows

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

I'm not sure if it's a good or bad thing. He keeps winning, they might get talked into keeping him for next season.

....that's the catch 22. If the team turns things around with an assistant, the team has bonded with him and possibly hoping they hire him to be the permanent HC. That is not always a good idea. It as worked for some, but not all. I can think of Guard as one of those situations that has somewhat worked outish'.

43 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

The reason I said Oats is someone on the coaching candidates thread seems to have some inside knowledge that he won't be back at Alabama. He's always wanted to get closer to the midwest. Why not go after him? 

Seems as if I remember a couple times when Cal's seat was really scorching -- Oats was considered the next man up in Lexington. Not sure if that's the case any longer, however. 

1 minute ago, Artie86 said:

....that's the catch 22. If the team turns things around with an assistant, the team has bonded with him and possibly hoping they hire him to be the permanent HC. That is not always a good idea. It as worked for some, but not all. I can think of Guard as one of those situations that has somewhat worked outish'.

Agreed. But if we fire Woody and hire Kenya blanking Hunter as the permanent HC for winning a few inspired games.... Hinkle Fieldhouse will have a new season ticket holder next season.....

31 minutes ago, JF87 said:

I think Dusty would be a great fit.  However, the more I think about May, the more I realize that the administration is not going to push out a former IU player to hire a former IU manager even if he would be a better coach. Call it what you want, internal politics or pride.  The May hiring can only happen if and when Woodson would voluntarily retire imo. 

Exactly and the fact that possibly hiring May seems on a slight level lower than Miller was.  I think he’s 3-5 years of consistency away. Heck, he may not even make the tournament this year, then what would people on here think?  To me, he’s just not quite ready yet.

41 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

So, I really don’t understand this opinion that I see people have, assuming you want Woodson fired, especially at this point in the season where tournament aspirations are gone. Losing is the only way that Mike Woodson can lose his job. Every win increases the likelihood he’s back next year because the BOT and donors already want to keep him. 

What are these 'win' things you speak of?

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Lmao ok. Was asking an honest question about your opinion, but if you want to be a **** about it, you do you. 

How is that being an a**** about it? I just said that's my opinion. 

Amazing how some people are so quick to go base. But I guess that's just you being you. 

Michigan fans on Rivals started getting confident about Oats yesterday. Which is funny because they don't even have an opening yet unless Howard's firing is the worst kept secret in CBB circles.