Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

10 hours ago, AnotherSznOnTheBrink said:

Long time listener, first time caller. What does this mean? Sorry if I don’t get the joke. 

Welcome aboard.  Don't feel bad.  Most of us don't understand 99% of what's posted but we're just extremely bored and have nothing else to do.

9 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Replace Beard with Oats and you are cooking. Beard will not be on any search list at IU

Such a shame he has demons.

-Reggie miller said he had the best practice he’s ever seen

-I think He had his teams sleep in the ballrooms to help build teamwork and collaboration when prepping for their opponents

-he used to host fireside chats on YouTube 

-he hosted a students only bball game in Texas volleyball arena

-I’m sure there’s more positives on the basketball side 

Without the demons he would be a perfect fit for the Fanbase…. 

12 minutes ago, Jwalk83 said:

Oats would be great! I live in Wisconsin now and I believe he’s from the same town my wife’s family is from. I could be mistaken though. I could understand why schools avoid beard.

You might be right, I somewhat thought Oats was from Minnesota but all the cold states run together for me. 

1 hour ago, LamarCheeks said:

Nah. I'll never hope that IU loses -- especially against Wisconsin. 

But I will admit: While I usually hate when we lose, it didn't bother me for one second that we lost at Penn State. And that's where I'll be Tuesday night: If we win, fine. If we lose, fine. 

So, I really don’t understand this opinion that I see people have, assuming you want Woodson fired, especially at this point in the season where tournament aspirations are gone. Losing is the only way that Mike Woodson can lose his job. Every win increases the likelihood he’s back next year because the BOT and donors already want to keep him. 

I know Pearl has a crush on IU. Dusty May is obvious. Would Oats even consider it? Why step into a Bloomington hornet's nest with an expectation to take a program back into the blue-blood discussion? There are only 1-2 guys in the entire country that could accomplish that, and I'm not sure either of them would come to Bloomington. Summary: Who is realistic, who is not, who is the dream?

3 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

You might be right, I somewhat thought Oats was from Minnesota but all the cold states run together for me. 

From WI but was the head coach at a high school in metro Detroit when he was hired as an assistant at Buffalo by Bobby Hurley. Of the few Michigan fans I know that actually care about basketball, Oats is seen as the preferred replacement of Juwan Howard when the time comes. I personally don't see Oats style helping him in recruiting if he were to coach in the B10.

46 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I'm sure there are back-channeling for at least 4 maybe 5 coaches. I know Pearl from Trilly saying so. When Dolson is doing a search he isn't discussing it with just anyone. It's very private. But I do know he has a list. 

I think Dusty would be a great fit.  However, the more I think about May, the more I realize that the administration is not going to push out a former IU player to hire a former IU manager even if he would be a better coach. Call it what you want, internal politics or pride.  The May hiring can only happen if and when Woodson would voluntarily retire imo. 

Just now, JF87 said:

I think Dusty would be a great fit.  However, the more I think about May, the more I realize that the administration is not going to push out a former IU player to hire a former IU manager even if he would be a better coach. Call it what you want, internal politics or pride.  The May hiring can only happen if and when Woodson would voluntarily retire imo. 

As much as I hate to say it, I think you are correct. 

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

The reason I said Oats is someone on the coaching candidates thread seems to have some inside knowledge that he won't be back at Alabama. He's always wanted to get closer to the midwest. Why not go after him? 

I think Dolson needs to use his “pick your number” approach he used with Stevens on these sitting HM coaches. If you can’t get one of them to jump ship with a blank check, we have bigger problems at hand. 

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

The reason I said Oats is someone on the coaching candidates thread seems to have some inside knowledge that he won't be back at Alabama. He's always wanted to get closer to the midwest. Why not go after him? 

I'd be all in on Oats. Big fan. I have no interest in rolling the dice, including on Dusty May. He's 3-5 years away from an IU gig in my opinion. He's still winning some games he shouldn't because they're an underdog; it is a thing. Pearl or Oats seems most realistic. Or...gimme Stevens whose personal helicopter was rumored to be circling Assembly Hall last night according to flight records. Or bring my personal pipe dream of a coach out of retirement, Jay Wright.

1 minute ago, AnotherSznOnTheBrink said:

I think Dolson needs to use his “pick your number” approach he used with Stevens on these sitting HM coaches. If you can’t get one of them to jump ship with a blank check, we have bigger problems at hand. 

I think that is where the standstill is. Woodson and Buckner have a couple of these big donors with blank checks on their side. So Dolson either needs to flip one which I think is tough, or find another one. Then you have to weigh the consequences of making a couple of your biggest donors upset. 

1 minute ago, iu-dl said:

I'd be all in on Oats. Big fan. I have no interest in rolling the dice, including on Dusty May. He's 3-5 years away from an IU gig in my opinion. He's still winning some games he shouldn't because they're an underdog; it is a thing. Pearl or Oats seems most realistic. Or...gimme Stevens whose personal helicopter was rumored to be circling Assembly Hall last night according to flight records. Or bring my personal pipe dream of a coach out of retirement, Jay Wright.

But would you take Dusty next year over another year of Woodson? That is the real question we need to ask ourselves