Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Mike Woodson to be next IUBB coach. Thad Matta to be associate AD

56 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

Uniforms, (Nike sponsorship, names on back, adding mascot (the Arkansas Razorback uniforms were so cool, we could do the same with a bison)) that’s an easy fix, same with a few of the other complaints.

Facilities, I would assume you would need to expand cook hall. Maybe double the size and add a lot of amenities.

My dream would be we turn the Hyper back into a Hinkle Fieldhouse arena where IU would play for like 9,000 fans while they rebuild assembly hall into something awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Uniforms - Don’t touch them, especially no names on the jerseys, ever!  I would be fine with some sort of mascot though!  Changing sponsors is fine if we want, I’m not in love with Adidas per say, but I also don’t have anything against them either. I would be ok with an alternate uniform for the B1G tournament or to use in a non-conference tournament but not as a permanent change.

Facilities - Cook Hall was just built. There should be 0 reason to renovate it already.  What other facilities are we missing that wasn’t just built with the additions made to Memorial Stadium which are for the entire Athletic Department, not just Football?

Assembly Hall could use some more renovating overall but doesn’t need rebuilt. It would change the acoustics and feel of the crowd, which is a huge part of what makes the place great and special. I hate all of these new nba style arenas like the YUM center.  They all look the same and the atmosphere sucks. However and having said all that, I would be ok with it if we kept the look, the feel and overall recognizable design of it but that would never happen in today’s architecture and building trends. 

Has anyone seem a write up of what Thad’s role will be? I’ve only seen the vague “will help out the men’s bball program”. He was a hell of a recruiter at OSU so I’m hoping he’s focusing on that end.  

I think this hire was Brad Stevens or bust for most fans but I think Woodson will do a tremendous job and will look to install his successor in a more planned strategic fashion, leaving this program in a much better place than when he arrived. 

43 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

I may be wrong but thought his was the underground parking accesss to SSAH.  Entrance is on the North East corner.  No?

You’re right i should’ve waited to answer.....way too much to drink today 

Edited by Indiana8585

1 hour ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

Uniforms, (Nike sponsorship, names on back, adding mascot (the Arkansas Razorback uniforms were so cool, we could do the same with a bison)) that’s an easy fix, same with a few of the other complaints.

Facilities, I would assume you would need to expand cook hall. Maybe double the size and add a lot of amenities.

My dream would be we turn the Hyper back into a Hinkle Fieldhouse arena where IU would play for like 9,000 fans while they rebuild assembly hall into something awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

You’re not the only person I’ve heard mention facilities and it honestly  confuses me a bit. Assembly Hall just went through a complete renovation including new stadium entry, video boards, sound, locker rooms, and players lounge.  Cook Hall is what...13 years old? It may not be the newest, but serious question: what “amenities” are missing that need to be added? I heard the idiot Doyle talk about the Marquette job like it was the Lakers going on about how they pay more (they don’t as Woj made $1.7 vs Arch at $3.3) and their facilities. They have an incredible practice facility, but their arena is off campus and is a no-character NBA arena. Other than being new, what does it have that Cook Hall doesn’t?

Additionally, didn’t IU just recently build new basketball player housing?

This critique of facilities seems to be more a comparison someone making $20 mil vs $30 mil rather than some one making $200k vs $10 mil.

Tell what I’m missing.

My take on this whole situation, is this a homerun, maybe? To make a baseball analogy, is this a mammoth 500 ft. towering shot over the center field wall, no. But this could be a line driver gapper perfectly placed between the outfielders with a speedy runner, with the right carom(assistant hires) its still a homerun. It may not be as awe inspiring as the blast, but, it still counts the same. Thats my 2 cents, but I'm always gonna be a glass half full guy when it comes to IU.

7 hours ago, e1999doubleglock said:

The guys that think we are still a blue blood are the guys that are disappointed. Not blaming you for thinking that way, but I do not think we are a blue blood. 

Blue blood implies nobility and infallibility. We haven't made the tournament in 5 years and have made one Elite 8 in the last 20. We have been incompetent and embarrassed by our rivals...Hardly infallible--how the hell could we look in the mirror and say we are a blue blood? I cringe when I hear it.

Luckily we have a road back to blue blood status, which other schools do not. Huge advantage. But we are not a blue blood at the moment. 

The reason we aren’t a blue blood is because we refuse to be one. When you pay $3.5mill a year for a coach you get an average coach. If you want to be mentioned with UK, Duke, UNC and Kansas you have to spend money like they doing. IU is too cheap and stupid to do that. They keep spending money to fire bad coaches instead of spending money to hire a good one. People say this coach or that coach would never come here and that’s partially true. For $3.5mill they won’t. Try spending some money on these guys and you’ll get a different set of ears listening. This is more of the same. Only this time they are going to experiment by hiring 2 guys to try and make one good coach. Hopefully when this experiment is over we dont have to hear the hire an IU guy garbage anymore. 

Edited by IUguy77

4 hours ago, Hooserfan1901 said:

Pictures from his arrival yesterday, for anyone who is curious

BA4BCF32-C996-494F-B8DF-4245C2EEBF1F.jpeg

I might be wrong on this, but wasn't Tim Garl there the 1st time Woody showed up in '73-'74?

35 minutes ago, IUguy77 said:

The reason we aren’t a blue blood is because we refuse to be one. When you pay $3.5mill a year for a coach you get an average coach. If you want to be mentioned with UK, Duke, UNC and Kansas you have to spend money like they doing. IU is too cheap and stupid to do that. They keep spending money to fire bad coaches instead of spending money to hire a good one. People say this coach or that coach would never come here and that’s partially true. For $3.5mill they won’t. Try spending some money on these guys and you’ll get a different set of ears listening. This is more of the same. Only this time they are going to experiment by hiring 2 guys to try and make one good coach. Hopefully when this experiment is over we dont have to hear the hire an IU guy garbage anymore. 

This.  We refuse to act like a blue blood.  We needed to hit a homerun and send a message, but laid down a bunt.  Woodson comes from a time when IU expected to win, that's about the best thing that can be said.

5 hours ago, Bowhunter said:

I’m still shocked by this hire. I will support Woodson and Dolson, but I am baffled that Woodson was chosen before the other active college coaches , that were considered great hires.

I personally would have went after One of the bigger name college coaches and put Woodson as a high paid assistant. But what do I know

I liked the idea of Oats, Musselman, Beard, Drew , Enfield etc.. bringing guys with them from the school they leave. Covid year making it possible.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

The Indiana Administration is so out of touch it isn't funny. Literally no one I've talked to likes this hire.  Most seem to be irate.  Just doomed for complete failure from the get go.  You cannot possibly succeed when the majority of the fans are rooting for your demise before you even began.  That's what we have here.

4 hours ago, KzooHoosier82 said:

Has anyone seem a write up of what Thad’s role will be? I’ve only seen the vague “will help out the men’s bball program”. He was a hell of a recruiter at OSU so I’m hoping he’s focusing on that end.  

I think this hire was Brad Stevens or bust for most fans but I think Woodson will do a tremendous job and will look to install his successor in a more planned strategic fashion, leaving this program in a much better place than when he arrived. 

He’ll be in the Comar type role. He’s not allowed to recruit since he’s not one of the 3 on staff assistants.

I'm not rooting for this to fail, but I'm certain it will.  We hired a guy in his 60s with zero college coaching experience.

I wasn't a Stevens or bust guy either. There were a few college coaches I would've been fine with; I wanted no part of Oats and I would've felt better with him.

The Indiana Administration is so out of touch it isn't funny. Literally no one I've talked to likes this hire.  Most seem to be irate.  Just doomed for complete failure from the get go.  You cannot possibly succeed when the majority of the fans are rooting for your demise before you even began.  That's what we have here.

Fake news.
That’s all I’m gonna say bout that.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

1 minute ago, Kentuckysucks said:

The Indiana Administration is out of touch it isn't funny. Literally no one I've talked to likes this hire.  Most seem to be irate.  Just doomed for complete failure from the get go.  You cannot possibly succeed when the majority of the fans are rooting for your demise before you even began.  That's what we have here.

Friends and family that I have talked to say two things: 1. Inspired, outside-of-the-box hire; and 2. very much a positive that Indiana University hired someone who understands "our basketball culture" with the emphasis that he is a black NBA coach and college all-star!

My OSU fan...ahem...acquaintances...say that the choice mostly is inspired and great for IU. But, they also express chagrin that Matta is the Associate AD for basketball.  They are worried that the emphasis Matta brings is off-court and recruiting.  Read this and the comments:  https://www.elevenwarriors.com/college-basketball/2021/03/121961/thad-matta-hired-by-indiana-as-associate-athletic-director-for-mens-basketball-administration#comments  

Woodson has great interpersonal relationship skills.  He has coached professional basketball players.  He has evaluated their skills and helped huge talents win games.   

IU has already had a coach that they hired from within because of the players.  IU has already had a coach that was a cheater.  IU has already had a coach that was hired because of his resume but that overselling got old and recruiting fell off.  IU has already had a coach that won at another school but did not seem to embrace IU culture.  Why use a resume to hire another coach that is not one of us?   Try it.  You will like it!  

IU's coach is Woodson.  Get behind him and the team.  Everything else is sour grapes.

7 hours ago, CrossboneIU22 said:

@Chris007  Where is this picture taken from.  I don't recall anywhere around Assembly Hall or Memorial Stadium that has a drive in corridor such as this?  Its for sure not Assembly Hall correct?  Maybe it is Memorial Stadium but I can't for the life of me picture where the drive in would be?

It’s underneath AH