Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Mike Woodson to be next IUBB coach. Thad Matta to be associate AD

1 hour ago, ap2345 said:

He’ll be in the Comar type role. He’s not allowed to recruit since he’s not one of the 3 on staff assistants.

So what exactly does this mean? I'd never heard the name Bill Comar until a couple of weeks ago. What exactly will Matta's role be responsible for? He can't recruit and I thought I also read that he isn't allowed to be involved coaching in practice. I'm convinced that Matta being there is a good thing, I just don't yet know why (hah!). Helping navigate NCAA rules? Advising on recruiting? I'm sure he's got some long standing recruiting relationships what will be helpful. What else? 

4 minutes ago, mdiu28 said:

I'd love to see IU go back to Nike but, and correct me if I'm wrong, I remember reading over the years that our contract with Adidas is massive and long (that's what she said). We're not getting out of it anytime soon. 

I think at least 2024 and it'll probably get extended but who knows right now. 

14 minutes ago, Me So Hornsby said:

Listen I’m not saying we need to tear down and start over, but continuing to show that we are committed to our facilities is important

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

We just paid 10 million to get rid of a coach. Do not need to worry about our commitment level. 

Just now, Kentuckysucks said:

Have details of Woodsons contract been released?  How much is he making and what's the buyout?

That's not come out yet and might not for a few days. You shouldn't be worrying about that already anyway. 

5 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

So what exactly does this mean? I'd never heard the name Bill Comar until a couple of weeks ago. What exactly will Matta's role be responsible for? He can't recruit and I thought I also read that he isn't allowed to be involved coaching in practice. I'm convinced that Matta being there is a good thing, I just don't yet know why (hah!). Helping navigate NCAA rules? Advising on recruiting? I'm sure he's got some long standing recruiting relationships what will be helpful. What else? 

He's an advisor. Back-channel recruiting and advisor to coaching / program.  Basically an assistant GM of an NBA.

2 minutes ago, Kentuckysucks said:

Have details of Woodsons contract been released?  How much is he making and what's the buyout?

6 year contract. We can assume he's not making too much and the buy-out won't be anything to worry about. 

How does picking uniforms work. Does Adidas just come up with them or do they get the approval from the coaching staff and does the staff ask a few of the players for their opinion on them before finalizing? I've always been curious how this works at D1 schools. 

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Yeah your right, probably should just go out and hire 3 middle school coaches. We can't get anyone. 

I think I'll throw my hat in the ring for an assistant job if that's the case. I think I can beat that out lol 

I will admit, when I learned of the hire from my brother I was far from excited. Even with him telling me of Matta becoming staff, I wondered if Matta would be able to involve himself in the ways he’s most capable and in ways most beneficial to the program. I’ve warmed up to it since. With the right assistant hires combined with the experience and connections of Matta and Woodson, this could bode well. I’m skeptical and worried we might be back in this same boat a half a decade later, but I prefer to be optimistic and float with this choice until the on-court performance gives me better judgment. Besides, I can’t change a thing in my position anyways  
With all that said, what excites me most about this hire is the fact he loves Indiana. It truly is his dream job. Crean, and I know many of you hate to even read his name, came to Indiana raving about how Indiana basketball was the greatest coaching job on the planet. When he arrived, I could tell he meant that with sincerity. His enthusiasm for the history of IU basketball swept across much of the state like a virus. It brought in a slew of great in-state players including Cody Zeller and Yogi Ferrell. Some didn’t pan out like most hoped, but he made Indiana high schoolers rethink Indiana basketball and made many jump at the chance to bring it back to prominence. It even led to a pre-season #1 ranking that lasted much of the season. I’m not saying IU will have a preseason ranking to match anytime soon, nor am I saying they’ll have stud players like Zeller and Yogi jump onboard. But, with Woodson’s love of the game...and more importantly, his love for IU...I tend to believe anything is possible. Couple that possibility with a talented coaching staff of assistants capable of player-development and recruiting along with some luck with the portal and/or key returning players, and I think theres a chance for a momentum which leads to short-term improvement and potentially long-term success. What I’m much more certain of is there’s little chance (and hardly any room) for a backslide resulting in a worse scenario than where Indiana has been in recent memory.
It wasn’t my choice, but I’m onboard. Like I said, what choice do I have anyways? It’s not like I’ll ever quit watching IU basketball like some others have suggested they might. I’m a lifer. I was here for the Colts when they moved to town and I was here for IU basketball all along. I know how to root for the underdog and weather the ugliness of loss, but I’m also old enough to remember watching Indiana in its glory years, as well as the Colts. Sometimes many years of loss makes it that much sweeter to experience victories
Welcome, Woodson and staff. I’m rooting for you!
It does add an appreciation factor which everyone here experienced in 2011-2012 after the dark ages the 3 years prior. Or like enduring during the Jeff George years then finally getting the Captain Comeback/Manning years with the colts. Or with IU football the last couple of years. Sometimes being in the depths of despair and frustration make the breakthrough to success all the more sweeter. Let's get this Woody Wagon rolling and breakthrough some mother ******* walls!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, Me So Hornsby said:

Boy if you don’t think the way jerseys look and how cool kids will look in them have any effect on recruits I don’t know what to tell you. The look matters. Maybe not the most important thing, but it matters

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Cut of clothes CAN matter some. Recruiting is first and foremost the relationship with the coach and staff but all the little things add up.

But things like candy striped pants you don’t have to change. They’re iconic. Just like the Alabama helmets. 

Just now, ap2345 said:

How does picking uniforms work. Does Adidas just come up with them or do they get the approval from the coaching staff and does the staff ask a few of the players for their opinion on them before finalizing? I've always been curious how this works at D1 schools. 

No first hand knowledge, but having had a stint in the clothing industry,  I would suspect that Adidas has designers on staff that come up with  several prototypes (like auto guys have concept cars) and run them by the schools for approval. Not sure what IU's approval process is, but one would think the players would have some type of input. (maybe not major, but some)

Some of y'all that are calling this a bad hire...what exactly are your credentials to deem this so? The guy has had the job less than 24 hours, and it's terrible? How can something that hasn't even taken place yet be so terrible? Give it a shot. 

Damn man, I hope some of you aren't this negative in real life. You'd be unbearable to be around. Let it take some time.