Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Mike Woodson to be next IUBB coach. Thad Matta to be associate AD

9 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

If you haven’t seen the clip of Charles Barkley and Kenny Smith talking about the hire I’d suggest you check it out. Almost my exact feelings. Also, Chuck calling out the NCAA after the last game of the Sweet 16 is the opposite of turrrble!!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

It was great. He blasted the ncaa on their own show. I’m sure they are less than pleased. 

As I reflect on this process and result, something just dawned on me: Coach Woodson has been involved in the NBA for about 40 years as a player and as a coach.  He's apparently highly respected and liked in that fraternity.  Frequently we see sons of ex-NBA players rise in the recruiting rankings, so it would seem Woodson would have a solid "in" with some of those guys. Significant?  Not a major reason to hire a guy, but it could be a real benefit down the line.

40 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

I think I'll throw my hat in the ring for an assistant job if that's the case. I think I can beat that out lol 

If you have an IU degree you’re qualified by IU standards. 

57 minutes ago, Treesh said:

If we're going all in on an Indiana guy then we should with the staff. This hire is already risky enough, let's push it to unheard of boundaries.

An all-staff that played at Indiana. Lewis, Guyton, Fife, Moye, Cheaney. 

I wonder if Randy Whittman will be considered for something? 

Maybe CMW can bring in Josh Smith. He can live his IU days he missed out on. CMW coached him with the Hawks. Lol

4 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

Jay Will still hurtin over that 2002 game. But they do bring up Woody's connection to WWW and it will be pretty interesting to see how that works out. 

His family (all IU graduates) are not enthusiastic.  I think this is the sentiment with half the IU base. That's unfortunate.  I hope that changes. 

52 minutes ago, Treesh said:

If we're going all in on an Indiana guy then we should with the staff. This hire is already risky enough, let's push it to unheard of boundaries.

An all-staff that played at Indiana. Lewis, Guyton, Fife, Moye, Cheaney. 

I wonder if Randy Whittman will be considered for something? 

I’m a BIG YES on getting Moye involved (shocker). He currently works with a lot of aspiring NBA talent on skill development. A completely underrated aspect to all of this working  (though Dolson did mention it in his original presser).

It’s a huge part of what makes Nate Oats successful. Working a ton on individual skills in practice (not just coaching X’s and O’s) so that when the floor is spread and you find that favorable matchup players can use that skill to beat their man and get  to the basket for an easy two. 

Many AAU coaches get this. It was a shocker that Archie didn’t. 

2 minutes ago, IUguy77 said:

If you have an IU degree you’re qualified by IU standards. 

Do you know x's and o's? Do you know how Woodson is going to relate to players? I'd guess no. Until those questions are answered you can't judge this hire with any credibility. IU has tried other paths with up and comers and hot names and it hasn't worked. Did they have other options in the past that could've been better sure but it was time they tried something different and they did. 

2 minutes ago, ib4iu said:

Maybe CMW can bring in Josh Smith. He can live his IU days he missed out on. CMW coached him with the Hawks. Lol

Heck yea!  He'll always be part of the IU family...

IU hired a guy in Woodson who wants to be at IU. He's replacing a guy in Archie Miller that never really wanted to take the IU job and he was considered by many to be a great hire. Let's relax, sit back, and see what happens. 

33 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

Some of y'all that are calling this a bad hire...what exactly are your credentials to deem this so? The guy has had the job less than 24 hours, and it's terrible? How can something that hasn't even taken place yet be so terrible? Give it a shot. 

Damn man, I hope some of you aren't this negative in real life. You'd be unbearable to be around. Let it take some time. 

What are your credentials that deem it's a good hire? See how silly that is? Was Woodson at the top of your list 2 weeks ago? Top 5? I didn't think so.

What choice do we have but to "give it a shot" Woodson is the new coach, end of story. I can't filibuster it or launch a coup against the athletic dept. So we'll all find out together. I don't apologize for assessing the move and finding it terrible. Not agreeing with the hire isn't some kind of betrayal anymore than you liking it makes you a lapdog sychophant. We all have opinions. I've explained my justification in a handful over other posts, no need to repeat them here.

I understand not wanting to hear criticism and putting the best spin on it. I got aggravated with the anti-Archie drumbeat even though I wanted him gone too. So I'll shut up soon enough and see what happens. However pretending Woodson is a great hire isn't fooling anyone. IU settled for a second, maybe third rate option. No idea if that is because the top choices declined, Dolson quailed, donor pressure, who knows? Most are saying "it could be worse" or "this might work if...." and that is telling. IU didn't hire the best guy for the job. I hope he succeeds, but have very low expectation he will. I care more about IU basketball than any other sport and I'm tired of being disappointed and having little reason to be optimistic.

"Mike Woodson, Head Coach Indiana University" Sigh. 

Image result for Sad Emoji. Size: 119 x 110. Source: emojiisland.com