Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

15 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

I like it. Or inserting their NIL paycheck into the player introductions when the starting lineup is announced before every game.

"At guard, standing 6'5", from Bloomington Indiana earning $175,000, Anthony Leal!"

"And here is Anthony Leal....currently averaging $5,833 dollars per point this season"

1 hour ago, iu-dl said:

Say what you will, but I think the lack of transfers from IU (MR, MM, CG, others) is telling. In my mind, they're not "all in" on Woodson. They're waiting to see what happens. This probably sounds like a crazy theory, but I think Gunn specifically is outta-here. If anything related to Pearl or another highly regarded coach is remotely a possibility, they stay and wait for a few more weeks until the tournament is over. Or, I'm crazy.

Still in their best interest to enter now and then just recommit to a new coach at IU if that were to play out. 

I wonder if when Dolson had player meetings if he was like “if any of you who want to leave, do you think you’d stay if I was able to land this guy..”, or if they truly do want to play for Woodson, or are fine with just getting a pay bump to play for him again. I thought I saw someone mention maybe some of the players are gonna wait out deciding on entering the portal based on if we end up getting a new coach that they’d be willing to stay for. 

Are these players 1099 or IU employees? How does it work? Wasn’t sure if the collectives had to funnel through the university. If that were the case, and they were employees of a public university earning so much, wouldn’t that have to be public information?

3 minutes ago, IUrocker said:

I wonder if when Dolson had player meetings if he was like “if any of you who want to leave, do you think you’d stay if I was able to land this guy..”, or if they truly do want to play for Woodson, or are fine with just getting a pay bump to play for him again. I thought I saw someone mention maybe some of the players are gonna wait out deciding on entering the portal based on if we end up getting a new coach that they’d be willing to stay for. 

I have some of my own personal thoughts on my boss here, but if was willing to offer me a pay raise on my yearly salary to send a company wide email about him, i would have that baby typed up pronto

1 minute ago, iu eyedoc said:

Kinda sad how MW and QB are becoming despised and reviled figures at IU. Funny thing is all it would take was MW saying, " I did my best to get IU back on the right path and I think making the NCAA's the first 2 years was a good start. Now it is time for me to retire and  hand the baton to the next guy to take this team to the next level," and he would almost instantly return to every fans good graces.

He obviously doesn't like the necessities of the job, not sure what his end game is  if not to go out in a flaming bag of a dogsh*t of a season, or is he that oblivious to the situtation?

This is IU, we'd probably just end up with Rosemond or someone.

10 minutes ago, IUrocker said:

He did not bring anything like that up. He did gauge their interest in their current coach but he did it in a full team meeting so I'm guessing some players were scared to speak up. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Hoosier Pride said:

Sorry if this has already been asked....what exactly does 2points a game get you?

What I have gather by reading this board Leal was getting 100k so 3 Xs that means 300k I guess?  If that is true Leal just needs to chill and be very thankful because he is not worth it. 

10 minutes ago, OKHOOSIER said:

I'll bite lol, except that "free-market" isn't determining the value of Leal, Banks or Gunn. We are. We are setting a market price that no one will come close to meeting. It is like giving a coach no one else wants a 1 million dollar raise for mediocre results.. Otherwise, I completely agree with you. On a personal level, if IU is dumb enough to give a guy who barely plays six figures, I am not going to fault the player, in fact, I would support them-- get that money. It is the program that is at fault. 

Not sure who this "we" is. IU's management has determined market price and budget, and players can counter-offer or vote with their feet.

If a school's NIL collective (in this case, IU's) is willing to pay, that's the free market determining that player's worth to a certain employer. Salary includes more than on-court performance; in the case of Leal and Galloway they are worth more to IU than other schools because they have system knowledge and home-town ties. There's no union scale in play here.

In fact, though Gunn and Bank's scholarships are guaranteed, if we want to encourage them to move on, all we have to do is let them know that their projected NIL collective money at IU next year is $10.00. 

This NIL stuff is a pretty much a pure free-market, unregulated situation. In fact, in most ways it's a 'freer' market than the economy at large.

58 minutes ago, Mr. Hoosier Pride said:

this sucks...not one of those guys are playing for the name on the front of the jersey anymore...it's about that $$$ ..... retire that mantra...it's not about "Indiana" any longer

I don’t think we can blame Indiana players for taking advantage of the current college athletics landscape/market. And if anybody is actually playing for the name on the front of the jersey, it’s Anthony Leal. 

11 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

Kinda sad how MW and QB are becoming despised and reviled figures at IU. Funny thing is all it would take was MW saying, " I did my best to get IU back on the right path and I think making the NCAA's the first 2 years was a good start. Now it is time for me to retire and  hand the baton to the next guy to take this team to the next level," and he would almost instantly return to every fans good graces.

He obviously doesn't like the necessities of the job, not sure what his end game is  if not to go out in a flaming bag of a dogsh*t of a season, or is he that oblivious to the situtation?

Agreed. Unfortunately with Woodson, not going to happen.

7 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

I honestly think he's gone into full-blown burn it down/sabotage mode.  I've seen it happen before in different parts of my career when certain employees figure out they are no longer wanted.  If we all thought he was doing a decent job I think he'd be much more inclined to just retire and play golf.