Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

6 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

Huh? It's not your money they're being paid with. Other people think it's a worthwhile use of their money.

Which is why if you read my post you would see that I said I would never donate to NIL and included saying it was a rip off to me personally.

If other people want to throw their money away, whatever.  However, I find it pretty stupid to be kicking more cash to basically university employees at this point when the company that "hires" the "employees" rakes in millions of dollars each year in selling their product already.  To me it is the same as that stupid @$$ "tip" that has shown up on so many counter service restaurants these days.  The initial purchase of the food was supposed to cover you making it and handing it to me after I go fill my own drink....

I suppose you could look at NIL as a tip, but I sure as **** would not consider anything out of this program tip worthy in a long time.

9 minutes ago, Magisterium said:

My fear is that in order for Woodson’s staunchest (and wealthiest) supporters to give in and let the AD make a change, it may take another season of not making the NCAAT.

If so, I also fear that the job will no longer be as attractive to potential coaches as some IU fans think it would be, even with the compensation, tradition, facilities and NIL involved (and presumably the NIL might go down with Woodson’s exit).

It could be a scenario where no “proven” or  established coach would want to take on what might be (by next March) a major reclamation project, portal or no portal. Dolson might then have to just roll the dice  with an assistant from a successful P5 program who’s not been a head coach, or with a guy who has a successful HC resume at a lower level.

So like the next Dusty May....

5 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Fair enough, and 100% agreed with your first and last paragraphs, but you saying "it is when you're the one filling the pockets..." made me think otherwise. I just think complaining/caring about what someone makes is goofy, personally.

It matters to professional sport discussions.  The money always comes up around trade deadline time, draft time, etc.  Basically whenever teams are looking for a deal or to dump "bad" contracts.

College ball is going that way.

9 minutes ago, Magisterium said:

My fear is that in order for Woodson’s staunchest (and wealthiest) supporters to give in and let the AD make a change, it may take another season of not making the NCAAT.

If so, I also fear that the job will no longer be as attractive to potential coaches as some IU fans think it would be, even with the compensation, tradition, facilities and NIL involved (and presumably the NIL might go down with Woodson’s exit).

It could be a scenario where no “proven” or  established coach would want to take on what might be (by next March) a major reclamation project, portal or no portal. Dolson might then have to just roll the dice  with an assistant from a successful P5 program who’s not been a head coach, or with a guy who has a successful HC resume at a lower level.

This is my biggest fear for Team Portal. It would seem most of the guys we need/want will probably only have one year eligibility remaining or are only looking for one high major season of production to get drafted (Ware). This roster is going to be in almost the exact same position next March, and most likely with a new coach. Even if Woody pulls a rabbit out of his hat and makes the tournament and gets another year, HS recruiting is still going to be broken. It is really the most insane portion of this whole thing and keeping him.  

You guys are making me feel like a grade A moron for not taking History of Rock & Roll instead.  My buddies took it, but I wanted to actually learn something useful so I took Bass Fishing Techniques.  I felt very proud of my decision to better myself.

So I went to the class with my head held high the first day and the teacher never showed.  Second class same thing.  Third class the AI was there.  She asked "why are you guys taking this class?"  We answered about wanting to be better at fishing, improving our minds, etc.  She said "bullshyte.  You're taking it because it's an easy A.  Let me tell you why I'm teaching it.  I'm teaching it because I have lowest seniority in this department.  So don't give me problems, and I'll give you A's"

For the final exam, she gave us all articles that she snipped out of magazines and told us to write one page papers on them.

So I learned nothing.  I've repressed my regrets until today.  Now the trauma has resurfaced.

Thanks jerks.

1 hour ago, ap2345 said:

Looks like this is what IU will be looking at as of now.

Cupps, Newton, Reneau, Mgbako, Galloway, Leal, and 6-7 transfers

I really think this is a pretty solid core! Get some guards and shooters and let’s roll!

1 hour ago, Golfman25 said:

I am pro NIL but anti the chit show that is going on now.  

If a dude wants to come to school and cut a deal with Nicks, Buffa Louies, or whomever to endorse their products, then I am all for it.  Do the advertising, print the posters, sign autographs at the door, whatever.  The deal will represent what you are worth to the business.  

To just take bags of millionaires' cash, with no corresponding value, that's a bit much for me.    

That was probably the initial intent but the NCAA washed their hands of it and now it is a free-for-all and it will only get worse

4 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Bowling was a class I took my first semester Freshman year. It was at The Student Union. Perfect warm up class for the rest of college :) 

How did you get into that first year?  It was full through my time

I am pro NIL but anti the chit show that is going on now.  
If a dude wants to come to school and cut a deal with Nicks, Buffa Louies, or whomever to endorse their products, then I am all for it.  Do the advertising, print the posters, sign autographs at the door, whatever.  The deal will represent what you are worth to the business.  
To just take bags of millionaires' cash, with no corresponding value, that's a bit much for me.    
But you knew it was going to happen.....just like you knew what would happen with the transfer portal. Both are FUBAR'd.

Sent from my SM-S906U using BtownBanners mobile app

So, in a small sample size of the 10 IU fans that live around me, I made the comment that if Woodson doesn’t get the players to compete for a Big10 title next year (not win, be in the hunt I said), he better be gone. That was met with a bunch of them telling me my expectations were too high.

That is what we are dealing with now. Too many fans who have had the bar lowered so much that simply making the tourney is good enough. This isn’t the 80s anymore, I’m told. 

Apathy, not anger, is the worst thing that can happen to a program. And that’s where too many fans are.