Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

14 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

He wants out of ucla as fast as possible.  Their NIL is not what it should be 

Some consider him to be on the hot seat so UCLA doesn't seem too keen on keeping him right now, either. 

Women’s team might outpace the guys for home attendance if we have Woodson next year.

And that is really sad and flipping depressing

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

I do not disagree.  I think the points that @Ngw7183 was making about whether donors are going to be willing to shell out big money for a buyout would likely come with strings attached to hiring someone who is more of a sure thing.  We have not done the sure thing hire before and like you described with one donor willing to contribute a lot of money if we could have hired BS last time, I think this is a similar point that NGW is making.  Sure he may be one of a few who think Woody should stay but the rest of his post makes a strong case for why some big money donors may become willing to act but only if we are able to land a sure thing.  

Every time a booster donates a lot of money they get input on who were hiring as the next coach. That doesn't always mean Scott has to go with their suggestion.  Quinn boss is the Simon's. Woody is well connected to the Cooks. Scott was brought up in the alumni association. He knows how to raise money for things. The Pfau's were going to cover half of BS salary. Pretty sure they bought out Allen. Cuban hasn't really ever got involved that I know of but now that he has sold a lot of the Mavericks he might donate some money. 

25 minutes ago, IndyHoops said:

I think people on this board are really underestimating Cronin as a candidate. 

I’m sure his agent is interested in getting him the job.

To me he’s a high floor candidate. I think at IU you should be able to say “I can win a title with this coach,” and I’m not sure that’s his ceiling. Defenses have been uniformly very good. They play VERY slowly, and when you have talent I don’t think that’s a great plan.

Even the UVa team that won played faster than Bennett’s typical. (Bennett’s interesting, btw, though I know the history and if I were hiring him I’d ask him to please hire an OC, football-style).

The offenses have been up and down; without a deep dive I would assume that’s been heavily talent-dependent for Mick — player talent, of course, but I believe Lewis handled the offense when they were together.

5 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

The Shrewsbury talk is going to turn me into a Dust man. Three years as a head coach, one winning season, and an overall 45-47 record. That’s not what I’m looking for… at all.

It's difficult to tell. It's not uncommon for the first season at a new place to be rough. First year at Penn St was rough, then the second year they were much improved. Then he left. First year at ND has been rough, but next year they could do the same an be much improved. Really hard to gauge.

10 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I would be surprised if a donor shelled out $12 million for a risky hire like Dusty May. If I was shelling out that kind of cash, I’d want to know that IU was going to hire a proven commodity. Imagine being the donor who shelled out $10 and then watched IU hire Mike Woodson lol. 

The donor who shelled the money to get rid of Archie was under the impression we were getting BS. When we didn't and it turned over to Woodson we had to go to plan B which I believe the Cook family got involved.

One donor has connections to Dusty, but that is why the plan was-is to keep Woody one more year to keep from paying 12 million and then hire Dusty next season. 

I was laying and bed last night and thinking….

IU wins 1 or 2 more….

Woodson doesn’t get fired and IU has a meh portal season?

IU starts out like this year but lose 1 or couple of the should  win non-conference games. (example FGCU) By start of January IU is out of the NCAA tourney picture… Would Woodson potentially get canned mid season? Not that I would want a mid season firing but just throwing this scenario out in the open. 

58 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I think word has gotten out this wasn't Scott's first choice as coach, so he will be able to correct this mistake now. Woody had the right people backing him, but he made too many mistakes. 

Not sure how much face Dolson is able to save... I get it that the Woodson hire appears to have been forced on him... but it's also clear to me that when Dolson missed on Stephens, he had no back up plan... or was this more orchestrated that we may believe? Did Dolson know that Stephens would say "no", and the whole thing was a set up for Buckner to get his buddy a job? Pure speculation, but there's enough there to make me wonder.

Now, clearly Woodson is not a high-energy enough guy to do a complete rebuild, though it does appear that he thinks he is. His recruiting and roster building skills are severely lacking, at least from where I sit... so to expect him to rebuild with only the portal and what NIL money he can scrounge up seems to be a very tall order... and how many legit B1G caliber players want to come play for a lame duck coach? Because if Woodson cannot build a legit team and coach them to a great year next year, he will definitely be out...

At this point, I don't see another option for IU except to cut it's losses and move on.

16 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

So if this happens, I'm good with Cronin, Shrews, May, or Pearl (I guess).

Of those four:

• The surest thing: Cronin
  • The biggest cojones/most volatile: Pearl
  • The longest-term but (relatively) unproven solution: May
  • My favorite all-around choice? Micah Shrewsbury.

Those are four incredible possibilities, and I'd be damn pleased with any of them.

Any of them are an upgrade. I think Cronin and Pearl gets us up and going right away. I think May & Shrews has the best chance of getting us in good with 25 recruits. All 4 are an upgrade

Not sure how much face Dolson is able to save... I get it that the Woodson hire appears to have been forced on him... but it's also clear to me that when Dolson missed on Stephens, he had no back up plan... or was this more orchestrated that we may believe? Did Dolson know that Stephens would say "no", and the whole thing was a set up for Buckner to get his buddy a job? Pure speculation, but there's enough there to make me wonder.
Now, clearly Woodson is not a high-energy enough guy to do a complete rebuild, though it does appear that he thinks he is. His recruiting and roster building skills are severely lacking, at least from where I sit... so to expect him to rebuild with only the portal and what NIL money he can scrounge up seems to be a very tall order... and how many legit B1G caliber players want to come play for a lame duck coach? Because if Woodson cannot build a legit team and coach them to a great year next year, he will definitely be out...
At this point, I don't see another option for IU except to cut it's losses and move on.
The fact he is likely back is beyond depressing. Basically another four wasted years because a couple of old timers wanted their buddy. Unreal.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

If Auburn makes a deep tournament run I would imagine it increases the possibility that AU ponies up an extension to keep Bruce there.

Conversely, FAU doing so probably increases the chance May leaves. Though maybe last year indicates not — maybe he’ll wait another year, or for a specific offer.

Totally agree. It will take years to come back from it. 
In reality 8 wasted years combined with archie. Not sure we even can come back anymore. It's like we know you aren't the guy Woodson but you get another year anyway. This program will be dead as a doornail next season.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

56 minutes ago, ISP said:

It seems like the likelihood of replacement increases by about +5% with each loss, +5% with each double digit loss, and 3% with each horrid post game presser. 

With that said, if you are Dolson - I don't see how you don't make the move knowing that Pearl is backdoor lobbying for the job. You have to set the "feelings" aside with Woody being an IU saint and make the move because it's a clear path to improving the program. 

I get making the move, but Pearl "backdoor lobbying for the job" is a stretch, IMO.