Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

3 minutes ago, IndyHoops said:

The odds of Woodson completing changing the offense, changing roster management, and rebuilding the roster (5 or more players) in the portal in the offseason has a much smaller odds of happening than any coach succeeding.

And that assumes Mgbako, Malik, and Galloway stay….

This is what is probably keeping Dolson up at night..... at least I hope so.

56 minutes ago, JF87 said:

I think the real question is what do we want IU to be?  A national recruiter like Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, etc. or a regional recruiter of Indiana, Illinois, Ohio, Michigan and then occasionally pull in a top national recruit?  Do we want primarily 1 or 2-year players or do we want 4-year guys and sprinkle in an occasional one and done?  Do we want an offensive oriented coach or do we want a defensive oriented coach?  In my mind, these are the questions that Dolson and the powers that be need to answer before selecting a future coach whenever that may be.  

I think this is a great point. There is no identity now for the program. You need to set the vision before you hire the coach.

17 hours ago, lillurk said:

The accusation that May has some IU shine blinding people is true in a way of Pearl, too, who has regional connections and a history of speaking highly of the IU opportunity

OK, so hire Pearl on a contract that takes him into retirement, while also hiring May at just above his current low salary to be the heir apparent when Pearl retires. It is a bit of money, but how much are we spending in buyouts instead? If they both love IU as much as people say, they might both go for it.

The odds of Woodson completing changing the offense, changing roster management, and rebuilding the roster (5 or more players) in the portal in the offseason has a much smaller odds of happening than any coach succeeding.
And that assumes Mgbako, Malik, and Galloway stay….
It's over for Woodson it's just a matter of when not if.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

My biggest issue with your opinion Chris is you are 100% sure Dusty is that guy. You can say you are done when I am not. No problem. However, He is 50/50 at best. IU, the donors and hell Dolson (if he likes his job) can’t take ANY risk. You and others can rightfully show how great he projects to be. Still big risk. You can state other big schools want him, this is situation is way different. Not even close to same.

You can say any coach will have a risk. While somewhat true, it is about odds of that risk. They are very small with a proven guy and can’t see any way with anything outside a proven guy he is out this year. Nobody can afford another failure, both figuratively and literally.  A proven guy also allows for this fanbase to calm and not question everything because no matter how you spin it, fans have decided to get mad over the shirt Woody wears at this point. They would have a hard time doing that with a proven guy. Dusty can and would get eaten up over everything the same as Woody. IU has no problem destroying their own guys. 

Woody not being able to turn it is not 100% odds anymore than Dusty being 100% odds of success 

There is no such thing as no risk.  No matter who walks in that door, there are going to be varying levels of risk and reward.

6 minutes ago, Tom White said:

OK, so hire Pearl on a contract that takes him into retirement, while also hiring May at just above his current low salary to be the heir apparent when Pearl retires. It is a bit of money, but how much are we spending in buyouts instead? If they both love IU as much as people say, they might both go for it.

If it ended up being Pearl, most likely his son would be his successor, assuming things went decently when Pearl was coaching here.

1 hour ago, lillurk said:

2. Seems like lots of the Pearl-over-May opinion is rooted in an idea that Pearl is already one of the best coaches going and May might get there one day. I think they’re both among the best guys going (and there’s much more to May’s resume than the detractors keep saying).

I still think there is a world where you can get both. Pearl for 6-7 years with May coming in after having coached for several seasons in a P5 conference seems like the ideal situation. I think the timing is right here. Pearl leaving Auburn opens up the door for his son to take over on steady ground and I'd be shocked if Laranaga doesn't hang it up after this season at Miami. Let May coach in Miami and get a taste of real big boy basketball and bring him back for the final home stretch at his alma mater. 

7 minutes ago, IndyHoops said:

This is where I'm at. My biggest issue with Woodson is not that this season has fallen apart. It's not even that next year looks grim at the moment after a failed recruiting cycle. The lack of activities that drive success is what has me most frustrated. The seeming inability to adjust your system to the talent on the floor, the reported refusal to build close relationships with recruits and their families to drive more consistent recruiting and well-rounded roster building, the apparent lack of vision or perspective on what is going wrong in order to correct course game-to-game, and the stubbornness and/or ego to effectively tell your fanbase to "get over it" all contribute to a picture of a floundering staff that doesn't know how to get back on track. 

I understand being loyal to the program and coaching staff. Hell, I was on the Archie train way longer than I should have been. But how do you watch the product on the floor and take into account the lack of corrective action being taken and have confidence that things will turn around? A complete black box at this point would be a better option for next year as you can argue there's at least a 50/50 shot of it working out.

The issue wasn't the value of players Woodson brought into the program in the offseason.  A five star and two four star freshmen, a top ten portal transfer, and a couple of rotational pieces.  The issue was the whole unevenness of it.  We replaced JHS with two guards -- one who wouldn't play a minute due to an injury that was already known and the other who really shouldn't have been expected to shoulder the load as a freshman.  MM hasn't had the year I thought he would so I'm not going to cry about that -- think he was expected to do more.  Also not going to cry about adding Walker late because we had two scholarships open but to see the need for guard to be addressed and just sit on an open scholly ...... wow. 

The fact is that Miller Kopp was probably a better player than we knew because he shot 40% from three in this system.

2 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

I still think there is a world where you can get both. Pearl for 6-7 years with May coming in after having coached for several seasons in a P5 conference seems like the ideal situation. I think the timing is right here. Pearl leaving Auburn opens up the door for his son to take over on steady ground and I'd be shocked if Laranaga doesn't hang it up after this season at Miami. Let May coach in Miami and get a taste of real big boy basketball and bring him back for the final home stretch at his alma mater. 

That would certainly be an ideal scenario, but timing almost never works out so perfectly. I do worry we'd regret the opportunity cost of not locking up Dusty, but I think given the state of the program, you need a proven guy who's done it before at this level like Pearl (if you're making the move this offseason that is). 

9 minutes ago, kottke said:

If it ended up being Pearl, most likely his son would be his successor, assuming things went decently when Pearl was coaching here.

This is the biggest red flag to me for Pearl, if true. 

Edit: Now if the son stays behind at Auburn, that's a whole other matter.

Just now, IU Prof said:

This has been said a few times. IDK. Pearl may want that and IU could certainly agree that it's a possibility. But anointing his son wouldn't be a sure thing. And even if IU did agree to it in principle... there is precedent for those kinds of arrangements not actually being followed through. It's not enough of a concern for me to call it a red flag because we hold all the cards. IU decides who the head coach will be, not the outgoing coach. 

1 minute ago, IU Prof said:

How would Pearl have any real say over his son being a successor for the job? Genuinely asking as I don't see how the administration could be held to that. Want him on staff with Bruce? Great. The second BP retires though, you start another search. Maybe give him an interview for appearances, but this isn't a monarchy.