Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

14 minutes ago, theriverpilot said:

I’m old enough to remember Bart Starr and Forrest Gregg coaching the Packers. Both Packer legends yet both failing at bringing the Packers to any glory. Both, to my knowledge, are still revered by Packers fans despite their unimpressive coaching efforts.

My point is that I think Woodson’s legacy will be fine but only if he doesn’t try to be too stubborn with the reality of the situation.  Great IU player that wanted to restore IU but simply wasn’t the guy.

Very well said. 

The only way a failed experiment becomes a disaster, is if it's not identified as a failed experiment soon enough. 

Retire after the season and most people will be able to accept that it just didn't work out. Another season of this though? 

Much of the current and future generations of fans will probably have fairly unfavorable memories of him IMO

19 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

How in the hell does Rabby know what our staff will be looking for when he doesnt even know who our head coach will be?

Absent an unlikely winning streak I don’t think it will be Woody.

I think the current staff is acting like they will be here next season and this is what they will be after. He also said as we have said there will be a sit-down meeting at the end of the season asking Woodson to explain his plan going forward. I don't see that going well because Mike Woodson doesn't have to explain basketball to anyone. 

But we should not be trying to get a big man in the portal. Wings and guards

And your point? We all knew that, but get it done anyway. We aren’t happy, why shouldn’t Woodson share the pain that he brought?
Point is dolson can't delay having to fire him forever at some point he will have to do it. There isn't going to be some agreed upon decision by both parties where he happily walks away. Woodson is going to make them fire him period cause I dont think Woodson thinks they have the guts to do it. He is calling their bluff.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

Imagine Woodson having to fill like 9 portal spots. What a god awful look that would be. Recruiting would be dead in the water for high school players.

It already is. Only Liam for ‘24… the ‘25s aren’t interested in committing to a black hole of the unknown.

4 minutes ago, MemphisHoosier said:

For what its worth Rabby was fairly direct with the Hysterics last week that he expects a two big lineup in '25 - at the time it was a Queen or Portal conversation.  Now the staff is left with just the latter.  

Thank you. I don't listen to much of those guys but did get through the Evans one this morning. I really thought we would go one big man next season. But I think Woody thinks his offense works if he has two good guards.  

I think the current staff is acting like they will be here next season and this is what they will be after. He also said as we have said there will be a sit-down meeting at the end of the season asking Woodson to explain his plan going forward. I don't see that going well because Mike Woodson doesn't have to explain basketball to anyone. 
Woodson will just tell dolson it's none of your business I am the genius bbal guy and I know all.

Pearl seems to have legit interest based on his comments in the media. Who knows if money will work out, but he's been a consistent winner every where he has coached, but has never had the opportunity to coach at a basketball school. That may entice him to leave. He has ties to the state and truly seems to embrace the craziness/love that people in the state of Indiana have for basketball and IU. He coached at ISU back when the IU brand was still enormous. To me, he realizes the sleeping giant IU basketball is. He likely makes you a top 25 team next year and has the personality and intensity we have been missing from our HC. I think Dusty May could be a great coach, but it would be hard to pass up on a Bruce Pearl even if he was only here for 5-6 years. 

19 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

Fully agree. Assembly Hall will be a ghost town next year, probably as bad as the past couple years in the Yum center.  
There’s no amount of ticket packages, t-shirt giveaways, or dollar hot dog nights that will pack assembly hall to watch a hopelessly bad team. 

Now hold on, $1 hot dogs might convince me to buy season tickets

3 hours ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

Wasn't there a stat somewhere a few weeks back showing that we were one of the luckiest teams in college hoops based on record/results so far? 

IU is currently 19th in the country in Kenpom's "Luck" stat. 

One question: how can Woodson explain ‘the plan’ when he doesn’t have one. He’s making this crap up as he goes and putting the blame on everyone but himself when he fails. And he has failed big time.

18 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Because the NBA is easier, pays just as much, and you deal with adults. Not children and parents. 

Oh and you actually have an offseason. I guess some of those could be wrapped up in "the NBA is easier."

And you don't have to recruit!

Woodson will just tell dolson it's none of your business I am the genius bbal guy and I know all.

Yeah… what it’s the survival rate for an arrogant employee telling his boss that his plans are “not your business”? Sort of seals the deal in my mind.

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

I think that is where Dolson can buy him out. Your plan is not good enough and I have Coach Pearl, Cronin or May on line 1 who does have a plan. Here's your check and thank you for bridging the gap. Please feel free to play golf as much as you like at Pfau. If you ever need tickets we will reserve a spot in the balcony for you. 

Dang, not even lower level tix?

42 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

It’s already mostly gone, imo. Fans are pretty sick of him. But it could be fixed with time. If he comes back for another year though, he will completely destroy his IU legacy. 

I think us old geezers would still think of his playing days and what he did on the court as a player.  The younger generation would only have his pro and college coaching records for reference.  

Just now, southsidehoosier said:

Dang, not even lower level tix?

Sorry I was just having a little fun. Of course lower level or up in a suite where he can tell Mike Woodson stories all night long. I just said all night long in my best Lionel Ritchie voice