Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

The more I read and the more I take a broader view of this whole situation, it just seems like a complete no brainer that you have to fire Woodson this year. I do not see any logical way a 2025 recruit would commit to this program under the current circumstances whether it is the in state guys or others. The situation at home games will likely be at the point of embarrassing the university as a whole. The majority of our current roster will probably leave and we will probably have to add almost all of our production from the portal which means trying to convince a bunch of guys to come join the sinking ship. I just do not see any way next year goes anything but poorly with Woodson at the helm.

1 hour ago, RaceToTheTop said:

C USA was solid in its last year.  FAU went to the final four and the NIT championship was between two CUSA teams.

You also aren't mentioning that while the defensive efficiency dropped, the offensive efficiency rose.  It seems to me that you are using Florida Atlantic's overachievement in 2022-23 against May.  Regression was to be expected even with everyone back.  Fact remains that this year's FAU numbers would have the Owls as the third best offensive team in the Big Ten and there would still be five worse defensive teams.  Overall efficiency would put them fifth in the Big Ten this year and solidly in the tournament despite not having the talent of some teams that are ahead of.

Not using it against him, just believe he needs to show more before being offered the job. There's been plenty of coaches that have built solid programs at the lower level that have gone on flash in the pan type runs in the tournament that have absolutely tanked once hired up a level. See Andy Enfield, see Shaka Smart at Texas

FAU has some extremely bad, head-scratching losses and not even leading a conference that honestly isn't very good. He's got solid P5 transfers + a diamond in the rough in Davis. I'm not sure I buy the lack of talent narrative. He's absolutely done a phenomenal job putting this core together and riding them out the last couple seasons, but I don't believe it's a guarantee that it translates at a gig like Indiana. May's ability to game plan and implement X's and O's is the least of my concerns if we're being serious. I want to know how he faces adversity in Year 1 when he doesn't have the most talented team on the court or how he fares in Year 2 when IU inevitably goes on a 3 game conference losing streak in late January and the groans get louder. He's never had to deal with expectations at FAU. Being able to handle that kind of pressure at a school like Indiana isn't for everyone. 

3 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

This has been said a few times. IDK. Pearl may want that and IU could certainly agree that it's a possibility. But anointing his son wouldn't be a sure thing. And even if IU did agree to it in principle... there is precedent for those kinds of arrangements not actually being followed through. It's not enough of a concern for me to call it a red flag because we hold all the cards. IU decides who the head coach will be, not the outgoing coach. 

I think Pearl is smart enough to understand that handing the reigns over to his son at Indiana for a first time HC job is absolutely playing with fire. 

Wanna bet if Sisley or any other decent high school recruit commits to Woodson? Woodson is dead man walking next season. It’s part of the problem.
Recruiting is dead. He is a lame duck and all he will be able to get are some portal guys.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

The more I read and the more I take a broader view of this whole situation, it just seems like a complete no brainer that you have to fire Woodson this year. I do not see any logical way a 2025 recruit would commit to this program under the current circumstances whether it is the in state guys or others. The situation at home games will likely be at the point of embarrassing the university as a whole. The majority of our current roster will probably leave and we will probably have to add almost all of our production from the portal which means trying to convince a bunch of guys to come join the sinking ship. I just do not see any way next year goes anything but poorly with Woodson at the helm.
They are going to be forced to fire him he is not going to leave on his own. He may be back but it will be beyond ugly next season.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

This has been said a few times. IDK. Pearl may want that and IU could certainly agree that it's a possibility. But anointing his son wouldn't be a sure thing. And even if IU did agree to it in principle... there is precedent for those kinds of arrangements not actually being followed through. It's not enough of a concern for me to call it a red flag because we hold all the cards. IU decides who the head coach will be, not the outgoing coach. 

This is where I saw that, just for reference. Maybe it's not "most likely" but could be a possibility to get him here to begin with. Second paragraph:

image.thumb.png.07ccb06111539ce612c0a0180c1e6fd0.png

38 minutes ago, Tom White said:

OK, so hire Pearl on a contract that takes him into retirement, while also hiring May at just above his current low salary to be the heir apparent when Pearl retires. It is a bit of money, but how much are we spending in buyouts instead? If they both love IU as much as people say, they might both go for it.

It's an interesting concept... but just don't see that working from any angle.

On 2/22/2024 at 9:48 AM, Trish said:

Why would Dolson give Woodson such a large buyout? There’s no other program that was trying to hire him away. 

Pretty sure there was a line of suitors for a sub 500 NBA coach that hasn't been around college game since 1980.  I mean makes sense right? 

2 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

I’m from Evansville area. Pearl is loved here and would kill it recruiting Indiana. I have been a big supporter and mention his name every-time we get close to a coaching change. If you want a bridge builder, Pearl is the sure thing. If you want to take a risk but bigger payoff down the road, Dusty may be the guy. 

And if we want to recruit the entire state, have a guy that has won games in the B1G, a guy that is a college coach but has NBA chops too, a guy that is young, and a guy that preaches and lives accountability and a guy that runs a modern offense?

The only downside to that guy is career won/loss and deep tourney success. But I betcha he'd get that done with no worries at IU. 

That guy is Micah.

1 minute ago, Ngw7183 said:

Not even the point - he is not some saint 

Correct, but it was never stated that he was. I understood the point, you were just wrong. 

"Trey is not helping things" TG, Ware, Malik, and MM play 4 on 5 every game, all game.