Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

I would tend to agree but I think it's more saying that earlier this year we thought Galloway and Reneau were locks to stay and are now leaning to the transfer portal to see what options they have. Especially if he is kept and they want to play in the tournament next season.  
Imagine Woodson having to fill like 9 portal spots. What a god awful look that would be. Recruiting would be dead in the water for high school players.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, Adillac said:

I think its bc to some of us it is unconscionable to think of a Hoosier leaving the state forever and not wanting to coach the IU program especially if/when so many ppl want you to do it and the university wants you to do it.

Live in Baahston forever while not coaching basketball? I mean, sure if you don't like coaching basketball and you don't like the state of Indiana then sure, living in Baahston and being an executive sounds like a plan. And perhaps Stevens is in the latter camp. It's hard to believe but it's evidently the case. 

It just makes so much sense that the notion will never truly die entirely lol. 

Anybody with a solid NBA job that leaves to become a college head coach is batshirt crazy to do so.

3 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

It’s already mostly gone, imo. Fans are pretty sick of him. But it could be fixed with time. If he comes back for another year though, he will completely destroy his IU legacy. 

I’m old enough to remember Bart Starr and Forrest Gregg coaching the Packers. Both Packer legends yet both failing at bringing the Packers to any glory. Both, to my knowledge, are still revered by Packers fans despite their unimpressive coaching efforts.

My point is that I think Woodson’s legacy will be fine but only if he doesn’t try to be too stubborn with the reality of the situation.  Great IU player that wanted to restore IU but simply wasn’t the guy.

Sports fandom and its associated buy-in and support relies on two fundamental things:

1) success

2) in absence of it, HOPE ( in the future)

Retaining Woody provides scant evidence to point to there being much likelihood of success at all next year or further in the future - portal magic and all. His system doesn’t work and faith in his ability to make adjustments, recruiting energy/strategy, etc. is gone.

Thus, the toll lack of success would take on #2…hope! That’s what is really depleting this year…any hope in the relatively near future if we run it back again. 

The administration has to see this — it’s ultimately what forced their hand — and someone’s wallet on Tom Allen. There’s no way Woody’s back — or it will run off ALOT of  long time fans. 

Gotta find $$$ and go big game hunting. Can’t land a big one, gotta take some risk on something that shows promise…to rebuild hope. 

One thing that occurred to me today...if the Athletic Department is operating under the assumption Woodson will be back, doesn't someone need to offer public support at this point? The fact that Dolson hasn't given an interview backing him is potentially pretty damning, given the potential recruiting implications (Queen) of letting Woodson twist in the wind like this. Plus Woodson then becomes more defensive, throws players under the bus, etc., increasingly the likelihood of transfers, and decreasing the probability he can turn it around.

58 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

Yeah, reading comprehension is once again an issue. 

1 hour ago, Ngw7183 said:

IU, the donors and hell Dolson (if he likes his job) can’t take ANY risk.

I think the issue lies with the communicator.  Again, there is no such thing as zero (aka: can't take ANY) risk.  Mean what you say and say what you mean.

ETA: And I know your point is that May is too risky and that if we don't get 1 of the other 2 we may as well stick with Woodson.  I disagree.  There are times that sticking with a bad known is worse than a (varying levels of risk) unknown.  Keeping Woodson around leads to the type of toxic environment that gets your program shown in a bad light all because of a lack of vision and fortitude to do the hard thing.

58 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Not using it against him, just believe he needs to show more before being offered the job. There's been plenty of coaches that have built solid programs at the lower level that have gone on flash in the pan type runs in the tournament that have absolutely tanked once hired up a level. See Andy Enfield, see Shaka Smart at Texas

FAU has some extremely bad, head-scratching losses and not even leading a conference that honestly isn't very good. He's got solid P5 transfers + a diamond in the rough in Davis. I'm not sure I buy the lack of talent narrative. He's absolutely done a phenomenal job putting this core together and riding them out the last couple seasons, but I don't believe it's a guarantee that it translates at a gig like Indiana. May's ability to game plan and implement X's and O's is the least of my concerns if we're being serious. I want to know how he faces adversity in Year 1 when he doesn't have the most talented team on the court or how he fares in Year 2 when IU inevitably goes on a 3 game conference losing streak in late January and the groans get louder. He's never had to deal with expectations at FAU. Being able to handle that kind of pressure at a school like Indiana isn't for everyone. 

Yes, it's taking a chance.  It's always taking a chance.  You hope the decision-maker(s) know enough about basketball and what makes a good college coach that they can project if that coach can have success at a higher level.  People in the profession should know if a guy can actually coach or if he's just a recruiter.  Does he have the personality to win over recruits, parents, high school coaches, and schmooze boosters?  It's all projection.  It's also a projection that any established coach can navigate the Big Ten.  Tennessee hired Pearl after just 4 successful years at low mid-major Milwaukee.  They took a chance.  If Scott Dolson, who's been around IU basketball nearly 40 years, thinks Dusty May checks all the right boxes then I'm all in with the hire.  

20 minutes ago, realTomCrean said:

Seen several say that IU revenue next year would not be worth the cost of retaining Woody. I agree with that.
-  I’ll also add that Admin has seen recent home games - fans leaving w/ time left on clock, booing team and coach. If they want to kill what little life remains in IUBB they retain Woodson.

Fully agree. Assembly Hall will be a ghost town next year, probably as bad as the past couple years in the Yum center.  
There’s no amount of ticket packages, t-shirt giveaways, or dollar hot dog nights that will pack assembly hall to watch a hopelessly bad team. 

Fully agree. Assembly Hall will be a ghost town next year, probably as bad as the past couple years in the Yum center.  
There’s no amount of ticket packages, t-shirt giveaways, or dollar hot dog nights that will pack assembly hall to watch a hopelessly bad team. 
Maybe free beer but that's about it.

Also, he might want guards in the portal but other coaches are going to point out how awful our offense has been and say do you want to go play in that. 

With the gaping holes in next year’s projected roster, Woodson on shaky ground, current roster headed to the portal and all of what’s sure to be incredibly negative recruiting against us, there’s no way that next season will be remotely palatable if they keep Woodson… we will have many more needs than just a guard or two.

He isn't going to ho quietly so he will have to be fired one way or another

And your point? We all knew that, but get it done anyway. We aren’t happy, why shouldn’t Woodson share the pain that he brought?

46 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Rabby just said the staff will be looking for a rim protector in the portal next season. That tells me one of two things. We will still play two bigs with Reneau and the transfer or both Ware & Reneau are gone. 

For what its worth Rabby was fairly direct with the Hysterics last week that he expects a two big lineup in '25 - at the time it was a Queen or Portal conversation.  Now the staff is left with just the latter.