Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

I just think it gives Buckner more ammunition. But it’s going to come down to who gives in first. I truly believe that Buckner knows Woody isn’t the answer. 

Could be.  This could be Buckner's way of saving face to Woodson.... "I tried, buddy, but it just wasn't in the cards."

3 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Could be.  This could be Buckner's way of saving face to Woodson.... "I tried, buddy, but it just wasn't in the cards."

Right. And the big payday should help him get over it. I mean... if my friend were actively trying to stop me from getting millions in a lump sum payment and keep on working at age 66, that'd be no friend of mine! 

6 minutes ago, Magisterium said:

From my brief experience as a low-level employee in an SEC Ath department decades ago, most buyouts originate from donors since they typically aren’t considered “salary “ or “compensation” in the sense of belonging in the same lines of a university’s budget. But that’s not ironclad, as Jimbo Fisher’s buyout proves.

The raise/buyout info re: Woodson was public record info ever since it was announced a year ago, and as soon as I saw it I thought “Dolson’s trading a smaller total buyout amount on April 1st of 2025 for the opportunity to amortize a larger buyout amount over 8 years OR (given Woodson’s age) another opportunity to renegotiate the new buyout amount down.”

Reading what few actual tea leaves seem to be out there at the moment, I get the impression that 1) Dolson wants to move on, 2) Buckner wants to stay put, and 3) Pres Whitten may not yet want to be involved (but may soon have to be nonetheless). I have no idea if Pearl (or, more accurately, Pearl’s agent) is now involved, or if Dusty May’s representatives have been fully engaged, but perhaps things have reached some sort of standoff between the folks who want Woodson retained (Buckner, Cooks, Simons, some former players?) and those who strongly feel a change needs to be made (possibly Dolson, some other donors, some other former players, most of the fanbase?).

If that’s where matters are at this point in time, history tells me that some sort of exogenous or “outside” event may have to happen to break the stalemate. It seems to me that the most likely event fitting that description might come from the  one group directly embroiled in this that possibly has the least concern about what the BOT and donors think: players on the current roster.

If enough rumors are true and a “critical mass” of players plan to leave AND Dolson can convince others of that likelihood, maybe that could break the logjam and persuade Pres Whitten, enough donors, and if not QB himself then enough other Trustees, that the status quo is no longer sustainable, and as a result could possibly force the change that so many of us feel is desperately needed.

If such a chain of events led to Bruce Pearl, so be it. If it brought home a “native son” like Dusty May, so be it. If I could talk with either of them for 5 minutes I would say “whatever else you do, hire ASAP someone like Matt Graves on your staff because in-state recruiting is on life support and he can do the CPR necessary to revive it.”

Fantastic post man.

1 hour ago, Scotty R said:

He said under RMK they went into every game thinking they were going to kick everyone's @$$. He said they didn't always win but it is the kind of attitude you need to go into every game

We go into every game thinking we're young, the guys don't know each other yet, our injuries are insurmountable, avoid taking three-point attempts and throw it in the post and watch.   

18 minutes ago, Magisterium said:

“whatever else you do, hire ASAP someone like Matt Graves on your staff because in-state recruiting is on life support and he can do the CPR necessary to revive it.”

Wow. That is an area of thought I've not seen anyone else mention. I like that idea.

1 hour ago, Scotty R said:

He was talking about this with Micheal Lewis today and both said IU needs to get their swagger back. We need to get back to be better than just another program 

I have lost track of what is going on with DD.  Does he still have a radio program every day?  Is it online somewhere?  

My only real memory of DD was being on spring break after the program got cratered and watching IU get spanked by Arkansas while at a bar in Florida. The next season was my super senior victory lap and not enjoyable as a student lol.