Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

fire coach woodson thread

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

The tournament shouldn't be the deciding factor.  Based on what was posted last night though, is he even target #1 or would it be like Bruce Pearl?  Gotta admit I was kind of surprised to hear that name.

I think you absolutely "target" guys like Pearl, Drew, Beard (maybe?) first and make them say NO! I think most realize that the practical candidates are May, Shrews, and Schertz as those three are the easiest to hire away from their current situations, but SD has to have some inkling that his job may be on the line with the next bball hire. He's had to buyout multiple coaches already during his tenure and likely will with Woodson either this year or next. 

6 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

A Bruce Pearl hire would sell itself. The AD could try to sell the ‘bridge’ story with Dusty May but no one would believe it. It would be obvious that IU fired Woodson because he wasn’t getting the job done. 

I guess it really doesn't matter if anyone believed it. It would be a way to save face for a bad hire, not embarrass Woody, and not completely alienate the chair of the Board of Trustees. As long as everyone sticks to the story it is a way to move forward.

7 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

I think you absolutely "target" guys like Pearl, Drew, Beard (maybe?) first and make them say NO! I think most realize that the practical candidates are May, Shrews, and Schertz as those three are the easiest to hire away from their current situations, but SD has to have some inkling that his job may be on the line with the next bball hire. He's had to buyout multiple coaches already during his tenure and likely will with Woodson either this year or next. 

He did have to buyout Archie but I think most people know that was Fred's fault. But I agree Scott has to know he has to get this right and can't mess it up.

1 minute ago, AKHoosier said:

Don't get me wrong I'd be super excited about Bruce Pearl, but I ultimately feel like the timing with him has passed us by.

He could probably give us 5-7 good years though, so it might be worth taking that shot. 

In all honesty he probably has a better chance winning a NC at Auburn in the next 5 years than he does here

8 minutes ago, BleedCubbieBlue said:

I guess it really doesn't matter if anyone believed it. It would be a way to save face for a bad hire, not embarrass Woody, and not completely alienate the chair of the Board of Trustees. As long as everyone sticks to the story it is a way to move forward.

I just don’t think it’s something the AD should consider when making a hire. Go out and hire the best coach that you can. Maybe that’s Dusty May, maybe it’s not. But hiring a guy because it helps you save face for your prior bad hire is a good way to make the wrong hire once again. 

4 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I just don’t think it’s something the AD should consider when making a hire. Go out and hire the best coach that you can. Maybe that’s Dusty May, maybe it’s not. But hiring a guy because it helps you save face for your prior bad hire is a good way to make the wrong hire once again. 

I think Pearl is a lot like Cignetti. I look at Pearl's roster this year and just don't see many recruiting stars or surefire NBA players. He has a system and is comfortable taking guys who play hard and smart for a full 40 minutes and making it work. 

Edited by AH1971

4 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

Frustrated with this fanbase, for sure. I truly feel we are doing nothing but causing harm and making this harder on ourselves. Woody is not leaving. We should hope he lands a massive haul of left over HS and Portal guys. This noise being created only causing extra questions and maybe even lose a guy like Liam which would really suck. 

So you call out other people for stating things as fact that are actually opinions, then you go and do the exact thing that upsets you so much? "Woody is not leaving" sounds pretty declarative to me, when in actuality you don't know if he is leaving any more than any other person on this message board. And let's not forget that you are doing all of this in a thread entitled "Fire Coach Woodson", and then you are surprised when people disagree with you.

25 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

I think Pearl is a lot like Cignetti. I look at Pearl's roster this year and just don't see many recruiting stars or surefire NBA players. He has a system and is comfortable taking guys who play hard and smart for a full 40 minutes and making it work. 

Pearl's last 4 recruiting classes average out to #33 in team rankings. 

Definitely seems like one of those coaches whose system is rock solid. 

22 top 3 finishes in conference

22 tourney appearances 

3 Final 4 (2 of those in D2)

1 D2 championship

1 D2 runner up

5 Elite 8s (3 in D2)

11 Sweet 16s 8s

Been to the tourney 22x but only lost game 1 3x

On one hand, it's nice to know that Holtmann getting axed caused a stir in our athletic department. That shows that at least someone is paying attention and thinking about the effect it could have on our program. On the other hand, it's also kind of annoying that it took someone else's coach getting fired to elicit that response. 

"Not fall further behind" implies that they know we're behind right now...yet they've wanted to keep this regime for another year. 

7 minutes ago, BleedCubbieBlue said:

So you call out other people for stating things as fact that are actually opinions, then you go and do the exact thing that upsets you so much? "Woody is not leaving" sounds pretty declarative to me, when in actuality you don't know if he is leaving any more than any other person on this message board. And let's not forget that you are doing all of this in a thread entitled "Fire Coach Woodson", and then you are surprised when people disagree with you.

5 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

He isn’t 

I forgot, you have a monopoly on knowledge and you can see into the future. If you are going to be a hypocrite can you at least stop whining about how everyone else is being hypocritical and stating opinions as facts.

24 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

Bro, I promise, all is good.  Not trying to come at you at all. You for sure. 

Frustrated with this fanbase, for sure. I truly feel we are doing nothing but causing harm and making this harder on ourselves. Woody is not leaving. We should hope he lands a massive haul of left over HS and Portal guys. This noise being created only causing extra questions and maybe even lose a guy like Liam which would really suck. 

Think facts are important is all. Everything is still there. He also walked it back after that and said Woody isn’t going anywhere in so many words.

Maybe I am miss remembering but thought you said it was on his discord that you DONT pay for or have access to. So I assumed someone was feeding that to you and changing the actual wording. Confused now by you saying you saw it. it was the same time he made the Pearl comments. 

Fans have little influence. The administration can foolishly bring Woodson back for another season but that doesn’t mean we have to shut up and be happy about it. And if fan outrage does put a little heat on the IU administration? Good. 

12 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

Here, here is what was actually stated 

B43A92C7-3B0B-45FA-8350-A1643ECCC9D9.jpeg

Here is what Chris said:  "Yes, I said I saw that on Trilly's premium discord chat yesterday at 3:39 under IU stuff."

You may want to go look at that timeframe????  

7 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

On one hand, it's nice to know that Holtmann getting axed caused a stir in our athletic department. That shows that at least someone is paying attention and thinking about the effect it could have on our program. On the other hand, it's also kind of annoying that it took someone else's coach getting fired to elicit that response. 

"Not fall further behind" implies that they know we're behind right now...yet they've wanted to keep this regime for another year. 

Kind of projecting there.  Nobody really knows what is or has been going thru their head.  The reason for the post was obviously Holtman's firing but doesn't mean IU wasn't looking at things before that.  

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

The tournament shouldn't be the deciding factor.  Based on what was posted last night though, is he even target #1 or would it be like Bruce Pearl?  Gotta admit I was kind of surprised to hear that name.

I don't see Pearl coming here... or the administration even making the call... Pearl is a much better coach that Woodson, but there is the age thing... Pearl is only a few years younger than Woodson, so what's Pearl's longevity here? Do we want to end up with another "bridge" or "transitional" coach in an older guy like Pearl or are we looking for a younger guy with the chops to deliver over a 20-25 year period like RMK? Of course there are very few guarantees in this business... 

IMO, Dusty is a significantly better choice based on his experience and relative youth... 

I don't see Pearl coming here... or the administration even making the call... Pearl is a much better coach that Woodson, but there is the age thing... Pearl is only a few years younger than Woodson, so what's Pearl's longevity here? Do we want to end up with another "bridge" or "transitional" coach in an older guy like Pearl or are we looking for a younger guy with the chops to deliver over a 20-25 year period like RMK? Of course there are very few guarantees in this business... 
IMO, Dusty is a significantly better choice based on his experience and relative youth... 
Agreed its a pipe dream they won't even reach out to him.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

After this season there should be changes with the assistants at the very least. Otherwise the administration should just put up a sign that says "we really do not care".

Haven't they done that already? That sign's been hanging at Simon-Skjodt Assembly Hall before it was Simon-Skjodt Assembly Hall...