Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

1 hour ago, Ngw7183 said:

Where it was posted. Chris obviously got this second hand and whoever told him adjusted the wording a lot. 

Never saw Chris mention anything about us targeting Pearl. Not doubting you as this thread is moving quickly but missed that it appears 

25 minutes ago, Hoosier1984 said:

After reading multiple topics tonight one thing I can assure is that this NGW7183 dude is for sure eating TV dinners in his parents basement. 

Boooo. C’mon, this helps nothing. I’m not always crazy about the vibe @Ngw7183 posts give off, and I sometimes respond in a smarta$$ way…matching pace and all. But I for one appreciate the banter, and if you can look past the odd vibes, I appreciate the perspective. Oh, and just setting an example here, tag the person in a post like this or it’s super lame.

1 minute ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

Boooo. C’mon, this helps nothing. I’m not always crazy about the vibe @Ngw7183 posts give off, and I sometimes respond in a smarta$$ way…matching pace and all. But I for one appreciate the banter, and if you can look past the odd vibes, I appreciate the perspective. Oh, and just setting an example here, tag the person in a post like this or it’s super lame.

My teenage kids are asleep so they can’t teach me how to tag someone. Sorry this is the only “social media” I have but even you say you respond in a smarta$$ way sometimes so not understanding your response.

1 minute ago, Ngw7183 said:

but… Goodman would have been pushing for May and whomever this “source” was, said IU wants Pearl. Which Trilly said is an odd choice to replace an old coach with someone older 

Young Brucie is a spry 63. A solid 15 years younger than Ol’ Woody. 

6 hours ago, Trish said:

It will slow down the next two weeks as they should pick up a couple easy wins. Well, I suppose Indiana doesn’t have any easy wins after the Penn State embarrassment. 

We have had many easy wins since FGCU.

7 hours ago, OKHOOSIER said:

Lurk a lot and don't post, and apologies if this has been said ad nauseum but I just simply do not see how Dolson or anyone involved could think a rebuild in year 3 by Woody is a good idea. For me, it is not just the way this season has played out but how poorly we are set up for next season. An absolute monster transfer portal season aside and/or combined with a miraculous holding on to pieces (Ware, MM, etc.) we are going to be bad. We swung and missed on guards when that was the glaring need and we had the luxury of "TJD is gone, we can play the way we want." Well, three seasons of data showing we do not play or intend to play 1 in 4 out and spread the floor or modernize is not going to help get athletic guards in this offseason. 

I just do not see a world where we are markedly improved. Squeaking into the tournament and getting blasted early changes nothing in terms of the program trajectory with a lame duck (age, results or "bridge"--doesn't matter to me how you word it) is going to set us back into 2026. I love Woody, I hate that it has come to this, but he cannot be allowed to attempt a rebuild-- it has to be a new coach. We have to inject some juice into the rebuild, and I don't see how allowing him to try does that.  

Great post and well said!  Welcome to Btown!  Keep posting.

8 hours ago, OKHOOSIER said:

I just simply do not see how Dolson or anyone involved could think a rebuild in year 3 by Woody is a good idea.

I doubt many in the administration think having Woody attempt a rebuild is a great idea. I agree with your rationale, and if it were up to fans he’d be gone. But the administration has to weigh that against how firing a liked former player after only 3 years will play with the BoT, others in the administration, and influential alums. They have to deal with that stuff on a day to day basis and in those situations it’s typically easier to do nothing. 

I guess I understand wanting to see Dusty get so far in the tournament and if he gets to like E8 or whatever then we should make a move…but are people really not gonna want him anymore if he doesn’t make it that far? I’m of the opinion that it’s really not gonna matter that much to me if he makes it that far in the tournament. Doesn’t that have nothing to do with what he’s able to do at IU with our resources that we are currently seeing Woodson not be able/willing to do? 

Like I said, I understand that it makes him look really good if he makes it far in the tournament and kinda gives a sense of reassurance to his abilities, but if he only happens to make it to the round of 32 this year it’s not gonna make me think he shouldn’t replace Mike Woodson. 

5 minutes ago, IUrocker said:

I guess I understand wanting to see Dusty get so far in the tournament and if he gets to like E8 or whatever then we should make a move…but are people really not gonna want him anymore if he doesn’t make it that far? I’m of the opinion that it’s really not gonna matter that much to me if he makes it that far in the tournament. Doesn’t that have nothing to do with what he’s able to do at IU with our resources that we are currently seeing Woodson not be able/willing to do? 

Like I said, I understand that it makes him look really good if he makes it far in the tournament and kinda gives a sense of reassurance to his abilities, but if he only happens to make it to the round of 32 this year it’s not gonna make me think he shouldn’t replace Mike Woodson. 

The tournament shouldn't be the deciding factor.  Based on what was posted last night though, is he even target #1 or would it be like Bruce Pearl?  Gotta admit I was kind of surprised to hear that name.

8 hours ago, OKHOOSIER said:

Lurk a lot and don't post, and apologies if this has been said ad nauseum but I just simply do not see how Dolson or anyone involved could think a rebuild in year 3 by Woody is a good idea. For me, it is not just the way this season has played out but how poorly we are set up for next season. An absolute monster transfer portal season aside and/or combined with a miraculous holding on to pieces (Ware, MM, etc.) we are going to be bad. We swung and missed on guards when that was the glaring need and we had the luxury of "TJD is gone, we can play the way we want." Well, three seasons of data showing we do not play or intend to play 1 in 4 out and spread the floor or modernize is not going to help get athletic guards in this offseason. 

I just do not see a world where we are markedly improved. Squeaking into the tournament and getting blasted early changes nothing in terms of the program trajectory with a lame duck (age, results or "bridge"--doesn't matter to me how you word it) is going to set us back into 2026. I love Woody, I hate that it has come to this, but he cannot be allowed to attempt a rebuild-- it has to be a new coach. We have to inject some juice into the rebuild, and I don't see how allowing him to try does that.  

It does not have to be a complete rebuild.  IF Woody has as great a relationship with the players as it had seemed prior to this year then you may not need a complete rebuild if, of the primary players, you lose only Ware and Leal.  If say MM, MR, Gallo, Cupps and Liam stays committed then we are really short on the PG role.  If we bring in Queen that only helps.  Now, if we lose a couple of guys amongst the MM, MR, Gallo and Liam group plus Leal and Ware then we are into a rebuild and a change would make sense.  Hopefully we have a good handle on what the players are thinking.

3 hours ago, IUrocker said:

If it’s the Elite 8, then he would need to go farther than IU has been in the last 22 years, two years in a row, while coaching at a mid-major.

Yeah, seems like a fair bar.

11 hours ago, 8bucks said:

Where did you see the targeting Pearl part?

I never said we were targeting Pearl. I said if Pearl was interested he would be anyone's first choice.  I also said he makes 2 million more than Woodson so even if IU paid that, Auburn could match it. Dusty is much more likely and I'm excited about that. 

9 minutes ago, BleedCubbieBlue said:

I would love to have Pearl as our coach, but I don't know how the AD can sell that. I think it is very easy to sell May. You can go back to Woody's introductory press conference where he said, "we going to bridge the gap between old and new." You can say that it was always the plan for Woody to step aside when we have identified the right candidate to usher in a new era for Indiana basketball. Who better to do that than a young coach who grew up in Indiana, went to IU, and worked under Bob Knight and Mike Davis. That is an easy story to sell that allows Woody and the administration to save face. If they bring in Pearl, I don't know how you sell that as anything other than Woody didn't get the job done and Indiana is willing to eat their own.

A Bruce Pearl hire would sell itself. The AD could try to sell the ‘bridge’ story with Dusty May but no one would believe it. It would be obvious that IU fired Woodson because he wasn’t getting the job done. 

12 minutes ago, BleedCubbieBlue said:

I would love to have Pearl as our coach, but I don't know how the AD can sell that. I think it is very easy to sell May. You can go back to Woody's introductory press conference where he said, "we going to bridge the gap between old and new." You can say that it was always the plan for Woody to step aside when we have identified the right candidate to usher in a new era for Indiana basketball. Who better to do that than a young coach who grew up in Indiana, went to IU, and worked under Bob Knight and Mike Davis. That is an easy story to sell that allows Woody and the administration to save face. If they bring in Pearl, I don't know how you sell that as anything other than Woody didn't get the job done and Indiana is willing to eat their own.

Pretty easy to sell.  "Mike Woodson was far, far worse than anyone could've possibly imagined and the program is now on life support.  Given that, we cannot take anymore chances and must hire a sure-fire winner.  That man is Bruce Pearl."