Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

47 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

If Woodson is old (he is), and we know he is at best a bridge coach, and he craps the bed in year three because of a poorly constructed roster, clearly he does not deserve another year... 

Now, if he gets another year (a real possibility thanks to Buckner, et al), and by some miracle, manages to put together a competitive team and do even marginally well, what happens? And genuinely curious what triggers there are in his contract that screws us over worse (raise, extension, bump the buyout), what then?

I honestly don't see that improvement coming next year, but what if?

Just cut him loose and be done with it. Get him to retire, throw him a party and/or a parade, but get him out, whatever it takes.

It’s because he wasn’t wearing his Depends!

4 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

To me it is as simple as this.  You hired Woodson figuring he had 10 years at best (I figured 6).  He is 30-50% through that timeframe and has taken such a step back that he is now basically starting over from scratch.  The roster overhaul needed, lack of recruits committed, and poor play demonstrated are the types of things you see for a guy who is on his way out.  I don't see the point in investing in him in another rebuild that he is likely not going to see to fruition whether he gets us back to the tournament next year or not.  

Singling out the great point of the bold part, and it’s how I see it as well. Those things rolled into one should seem like something that makes it even easier to transition to a new coach. Gonna need a new handful of players anyways, and only have ONE recruit onboard for the future, who a new coach could even talk into staying. There’s really not much set up for next year that we’re gonna be like “well crap, we’re gonna miss out on all that if we make a change”. 

If IU is May's dream job do you really think that he would jump to O$U knowing that in a year or hopefully sooner the IU job would be open.
Does Dusty make a back channel call before he talks to O$U?
There is no guarantee the iu job will be open. If Woodson gets another year and makes the tourney tht will likely buy him another couple of years.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, IUrocker said:

Yep for sure..at this point I guess we gotta sit around and hope Dolson isn’t too late making the move and have next year turn out like this one. My fear is he having the mindset of “let’s give him another year to turn this around before we let him go and hand it off to the next guy”…because I see NO point in that at all. 

How long is the bridge period? Good year/bad year, I don't see how it matters... and I don't understand the concept of an open-ended bridge gig... after last year we were better than we were with Archie... not sure that's true this year... but regardless, there has to be a firm "hand off" date...

Does Indiana have a mandatory retirement age for state employees? And if so, does that apply to coaches? 

19 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

To me it is as simple as this.  You hired Woodson figuring he had 10 years at best (I figured 6).  He is 30-50% through that timeframe and has taken such a step back that he is now basically starting over from scratch.  The roster overhaul needed, lack of recruits committed, and poor play demonstrated are the types of things you see for a guy who is on his way out.  I don't see the point in investing in him in another rebuild that he is likely not going to see to fruition whether he gets us back to the tournament next year or not.  

Ten years? Ten freaking years? No way that happens or that that was even the plan...

23 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Ten years? Ten freaking years? No way that happens or that that was even the plan...

I say that because at best you think he gets to 72.  I figured it would be more like 6 years though.

ETA:  Either way though, you don't want to start over with a 66 year old who only has a few years left in the tank to begin with.

1 hour ago, ISP said:

Anyone with ESPN+ want to copy/paste the part about Woody from this article? Apparently it says Woody is on the hot seat..

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/39525430/men-college-basketball-coaching-candidates-replace-chris-holtmann-ohio-state

We're doing our best! LOL

35 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Does Indiana have a mandatory retirement age for state employees? And if so, does that apply to coaches? 

That’s actually an interesting question.  There is no mandatory retirement age for state employees in general.  However, back in 2001, AD Clarence Doninger was forced into retirement because he reached IU’s mandatory retirement age of 65.  Now, I don’t know who all that policy applied to, if it was just for administrators and not coaches, or if the policy still exists at all now.  But it is interesting nonetheless, and maybe someone else knows for sure…

6 minutes ago, IUHoosierJoe said:

That’s actually an interesting question.  There is no mandatory retirement age for state employees in general.  However, back in 2001, AD Clarence Doninger was forced into retirement because he reached IU’s mandatory retirement age of 65.  Now, I don’t know who all that policy applied to, if it was just for administrators and not coaches, or if the policy still exists at all now.  But it is interesting nonetheless, and maybe someone else knows for sure…

A Google showed that this was for "Executives, High Policymakers, and Administrative Officers", was bumped to age 67 as of 2012 and looks like it still applies.

10 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

A Google showed that this was for "Executives, High Policymakers, and Administrative Officers", was bumped to age 67 as of 2012 and looks like it still applies.

So, one more year in the worst case... good to know, but hope we don't go there...

2 hours ago, IUHoosierJoe said:

Oh yeah...remember that?  I feel like Doninger started dogging on Coach Knight, then next thing you knew this "mandatory retirement age" thing came up and snatched him away.  Coach really was like a Godfather sometimes lol