Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

4 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I'm not sure if Quinn would be upset if you went to him & said were going to give your buddy 12 million to retire and then go hire Dusty May. I think Woody would be hurt at first but hopefully seeing that check clear would make him OK

If the hot commodity, Dust May, is the guy, then this isn’t about Woodson.  It’s about the future of the program. Dusty may would be an upgrade and a home run in many eyes.  Much like the Cubs did with Joe Madden years ago or last fall with Chris Counsell.   An upgrade unexpectedly became available, so bye bye the beloved grandpa Rossy.  

22 minutes ago, Kentuckysucks said:

IU athletic department and administration has to be a bit rattled right now. My guess is they're hoping and praying Woodson can finish the season 5-2 or better so some of the pressure dies down. 

Man if we get blasted at home by NW this weekend I don't see Woodson recovering from that. 

Just now, AKHoosier said:

IU athletic department and administration has to be a bit rattled right now. My guess is they're hoping and praying Woodson can finish there season 5-2 or better so some of the pressure does down. 

Man if we get blasted at home by NW this weekend I don't see Woodson recovering from that. 

I really thought Penn St was the coffin but another loss at home watch out. 

20 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

You don’t need precedent. You just need the buyout money. 

Going to back to back tournaments is only talked about as a positive because Archie was so bad. Woodson being slightly better than possibly the worst coach in IU history doesn’t mean he deserves to keep his job. And Archie only missed the tournament in 2020 because it was canceled by a once in a century pandemic. Archie didn’t cause covid. IU was going to be in the field. The tournament drought would have been one year when Woodson took over but for covid. 

Woodson’s first year he goes 21-14 and loses by 29 points in the round of 64. His second year he goes 23-12 and loses by 16 in the round of 32. His third year he almost certainly will miss the tournament altogether. Numerous blowout losses. He has one recruit in the 2024 class. Gaping holes in the roster. 

We know for a fact that Woodson isn’t the answer long term because he’s too old. He has failed to show that he’s the short-term answer. So, fire him. He hasn’t lived up to what should be the expectation for IU basketball. 

If Woodson is old (he is), and we know he is at best a bridge coach, and he craps the bed in year three because of a poorly constructed roster, clearly he does not deserve another year... 

Now, if he gets another year (a real possibility thanks to Buckner, et al), and by some miracle, manages to put together a competitive team and do even marginally well, what happens? And genuinely curious what triggers there are in his contract that screws us over worse (raise, extension, bump the buyout), what then?

I honestly don't see that improvement coming next year, but what if?

Just cut him loose and be done with it. Get him to retire, throw him a party and/or a parade, but get him out, whatever it takes.

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

I like the way you explain it. Also, I just have to say I like everything about a good coaching search. Who has the AD already talked to through back channels, does he already know who is interested, do we need to check flights? All of it is fascinating to me

It's one thing to have to buy out a coach from another P5 conference, it's another to fork over 10+ million to a conference rival for a buyout

10 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

I found really odd that OSU didn’t wait until after the season to fire him, but this makes a ton of sense.  It’s kinda genius if you ask me.  They can lay some ground with their potential candidate and then immediately hire him as soon as the season is over or even before hand.  In the meantime, they can get out front with potential portal transfers and try and get commitments before the end of March, IMO

Yeah, I think you want your candidate announced the day after they lose in the tourney. If you are hiring someone not in the tourney then you would be a good candidate to work in the IU administration. 

6 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

If Woodson is old (he is), and we know he is at best a bridge coach, and he craps the bed in year three because of a poorly constructed roster, clearly he does not deserve another year... 

Now, if he gets another year (a real possibility thanks to Buckner, et al), and by some miracle, manages to put together a competitive team and do even marginally well, what happens? And genuinely curious what triggers there are in his contract that screws us over worse (raise, extension, bump the buyout), what then?

Just cut him loose and be done with it. Get him to retire, throw him a party and/or a parade, but get him out, whatever it takes.

Agree 100%. I don’t care how the rest of the season plays out. Just get rid of him. 

17 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

This. A bridge coach shouldn't need to rebuild after 3. As you said, they don't deserve another year because they screwed up pretty bad to get to that point.

On your second paragraph, non-zero chance IU would screw IU without any contract triggers.

2 minutes ago, ISP said:

Anyone with ESPN+ want to copy/paste the part about Woody from this article? Apparently it says Woody is on the hot seat..

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/39525430/men-college-basketball-coaching-candidates-replace-chris-holtmann-ohio-state

All it says 

Screenshot_20240215-135900_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240215-135826_Chrome.jpg

I hope Dolson sees no need to try to rebuild with a bridge coach. Go out and get your guy before someone else does and let HIM rebuild the thing. I just think it’s so pointless at this stage with how Woodson has done and how he’s done it to have him be the guy to try to piece back together a team for next year if we end up needing 5-7 guys in the portal. Get the new coach in here to do that and get the ball rolling for the long term.  

3 minutes ago, IUrocker said:

I hope Dolson sees no need to try to rebuild with a bridge coach. Go out and get your guy before someone else does and let HIM rebuild the thing. I just think it’s so pointless at this stage with how Woodson has done and how he’s done it to have him be the guy to try to piece back together a team for next year if we end up needing 5-7 guys in the portal. Get the new coach in here to do that and get the ball rolling for the long term.  

As a "bridge coach" wouldn't it make sense that Woodson is the bridge from Archie to May? Seems simple and straight-forward to me.

34 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

I think you have to look longer term.  It isn't about this year.  Every team, like it or not, has a down year.  And this one certainly qualifies.  But there is nothing on the table for next year or the following.  That's a bigger problem then losing some games in a single year.  There is zero foundation.  He had three years to start stacking recruits and players.  He failed to do that, period end.  I could care less if he stayed another year, caught lightning in a bottle and made a sweet 16/elite 8 run next year.  There still would be no foundation.  Fix the foundation and you can fix the program.   

1 minute ago, AZ Hoosier said:

As a "bridge coach" wouldn't it make sense that Woodson is the bridge from Archie to May? Seems simple and straight-forward to me.

Yep for sure..at this point I guess we gotta sit around and hope Dolson isn’t too late making the move and have next year turn out like this one. My fear is he having the mindset of “let’s give him another year to turn this around before we let him go and hand it off to the next guy”…because I see NO point in that at all.