Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

6 minutes ago, ISP said:

100 pages today. Anyone got the champagne ready?

FWIW, I think OSU will get Lamont Paris. I am pretty impressed with what he has done.

Screenshot 2024-02-15 at 10.08.33 AM.png

Sean Miller seems like the logical fit. Will be fun to see who they hire. 

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

I believe that is the sentiment as of right now from the AD office. But many things can change. We have 7 games to go, one BT coach has already been let go, and Dusty could win the NC. Lots of things are at play for the next month. 

Even though it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they decide to be soft and give him another year because they're worried about what people will think of them if they don't, this seems like the mindset one would expect with a month left in the season. If there's any talk at all of getting him to step down, they don't want that getting out with this much time left. 

I mean, just think of what people would say about them on social media if they thought we were going to force him to retire! All those mean and nasty comments about how ungrateful we are and how we have no respect for someone who did the improbable and took us to back to back tournaments. No doubt all kinds of comments that would keep them up at night. 

13 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Even though it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they decide to be soft and give him another year because they're worried about what people will think of them if they don't, this seems like the mindset one would expect with a month left in the season. If there's any talk at all of getting him to step down, they don't want that getting out with this much time left. 

I mean, just think of what people would say about them on social media if they thought we were going to force him to retire! All those mean and nasty comments about how ungrateful we are and how we have no respect for someone who did the improbable and took us to back to back tournaments. No doubt all kinds of comments that would keep them up at night. 

Good point

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

I believe that is the sentiment as of right now from the AD office. But many things can change. We have 7 games to go, one BT coach has already been let go, and Dusty could win the NC. Lots of things are at play for the next month. 

Will be interesting..... The biggest fans in the country of FAU and Indiana St (in March) may reside on this board!

43 minutes ago, Trish said:

Sean Miller seems like the logical fit. Will be fun to see who they hire. 

Miller or McDermott…. IMO…

7 years ago it was Holtmann or McDermott.

53 minutes ago, ISP said:

100 pages today. Anyone got the champagne ready?

FWIW, I think OSU will get Lamont Paris. I am pretty impressed with what he has done.

Screenshot 2024-02-15 at 10.08.33 AM.png

I think that is the way they will go too but boy did Auburn take it to them last night. But I've been impressed with South Carolina the couple of times I've seen them. Also kind of responded to get closer to 100

3 minutes ago, IndyHoops said:

Miller or McDermott…. IMO…

7 years ago it was Holtmann or McDermott.

Rabby said yesterday he had reached out on behalf of a journalist from OSU and McDermott is interested. But I think his buyout is kind of high, but no big deal for OSU

[mention=7005]Chris007[/mention] would you say that your comment yesterday (of CMW getting another year to turn things around) is the general sentiment of what you’re hearing or what you’ve heard from someone  closest to the person who’ll make a decision of that magnitude? Hope that makes sense. Gracias!
I guess what will be considered turning it around to dolson and his crew? Winning 20 games and barely slipping into the tourney? That is my fear he just barely slips in and that buys him another couple of years

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, Banksyrules said:

Be honest. If you guys had a time machine to go back to your younger self and change your fandom, would you?  Just knowing what I know about the type of administration we have and have had I'm 50/50.  I do love the campus though and friends I made but the sports experience oooof. 

That is a good question.  I would not but I grew up and went to school during the golden era of IU athletics.  Started watching Bball in the mid 70's and went to school for 87 through 92.  We had NCAA BBall championships, 2 FFs, NCAA Soccer championships and regular top 5 rankings, IU Swimming/Diving had 6 time NCAA champ Doc Counsilman's final years - 3 legendary coaches right there.  We also had Bill Mallory regularly taking us to bowls, AT Heismann runner up, went to watch Bob Kennedy win the NCAA CC championship in 88 and he went on to win the 1500 and the indoor mile titles later as well. 

Great time to be at IU.  Womens BBall was not good but they had the prior scoring champ Karna Abram, who would have fallen for me if we only had the chance to meet.    

16 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Rabby said yesterday he had reached out on behalf of a journalist from OSU and McDermott is interested. But I think his buyout is kind of high, but no big deal for OSU

Just adding to this, I've read that McDermott's relationship with the Creighton athletic dept. has deteriorated since the last time his name was mentioned with the OSU job.

Just now, Hovadipo said:

Just adding to this, I've read that McDermott's relationship with the Creighton athletic dept. has deteriorated since the last time his name was mentioned with the OSU job.

That would make a little sense in why his name is coming up with OSU and Michigan. 

Also don't know how connected Trilly is but he did say in his Discord chat this morning that the firing in Columbus has set off some alarm bells in Bloomington. Some think OSU can offer May a contract that would take him off the board for IU for many years

3 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

That would make a little sense in why his name is coming up with OSU and Michigan. 

Also don't know how connected Trilly is but he did say in his Discord chat this morning that the firing in Columbus has set off some alarm bells in Bloomington. Some think OSU can offer May a contract that would take him off the board for IU for many years

Makes sense to me. I mentioned yesterday that I wouldn’t doubt if the move Ohio State made had to have somehow gotten the wheels spinning in Dolson’s head, or at least I’d hope it did. If he thinks there’s a chance Ohio State tries to get someone he wants to take Woodson’s spot then hopefully he’s ready to act on that. I could still see OSU going in a different direction than May because of the other names that have been mentioned though.

If Dolson and May have already discussed the possibility of him taking over for Woodson, which, that’s a maybe/maybe not, then May could turn down Ohio State and then they obviously end up going with one of the others mentioned on the list of possibilities…and let’s say OSU does indeed go after May and he declines…they’d probably not even mention/admit that and just say that they got their #1 guy they went after. 

2 minutes ago, IUrocker said:

Makes sense to me. I mentioned yesterday that I wouldn’t doubt if the move Ohio State made had to have somehow gotten the wheels spinning in Dolson’s head, or at least I’d hope it did. If he thinks there’s a chance Ohio State tries to get someone he wants to take Woodson’s spot then hopefully he’s ready to act on that. I could still see OSU going in a different direction than May because of the other names that have been mentioned though.

If Dolson and May have already discussed the possibility of him taking over for Woodson, which, that’s a maybe/maybe not, then May could turn down Ohio State and then they obviously end up going with one of the others mentioned on the list of possibilities…and let’s say OSU does indeed go after May and he declines…they’d probably not even mention/admit that and just say that they got their #1 guy they went after. 

I like the way you explain it. Also, I just have to say I like everything about a good coaching search. Who has the AD already talked to through back channels, does he already know who is interested, do we need to check flights? All of it is fascinating to me

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I like the way you explain it. Also, I just have to say I like everything about a good coaching search. Who has the AD already talked to through back channels, does he already know who is interested, do we need to check flights? All of it is fascinating to me

We're well versed. 

Just now, btownqb said:

We're well versed. 

I know sometimes when things start to go bad, I'm just like let's fire the coach so we can move on to the next search. Also, I usually feel a little down when the search is over but back excited after the first press conference

33 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

If IU is May's dream job do you really think that he would jump to O$U knowing that in a year or hopefully sooner the IU job would be open.

Does Dusty make a back channel call before he talks to O$U?

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

I know sometimes when things start to go bad, I'm just like let's fire the coach so we can move on to the next search. Also, I usually feel a little down when the search is over but back excited after the first press conference

Haha, I’m like that too. Difference with this one is, Woodson’s not the guy long term to be getting us where we need to be and be set for a long period of time. It’d be different with a younger guy who acted like he gave a crap about what was going on. Knowing he was brought in to try to just kinda be a bridge guy anyways, it’s like so what if we we make the move “a year early” if we know who we want to replace him. What’s the point of giving him “one more year” if we have to make a change anyways?

At this point I don’t care about giving Woodson a chance to right the ship, and that has nothing to do with him as a person. I think he’s great and appreciate everything he’s attempted to do for the program. If the new guy we need can get portal guys just as much as Woodson can then I don’t wanna have to delay the future. He says stuff like he shouldn’t have to answer to the fans but then has also said “I just hope the fans still love me”. I think him turning the keys over to the next guy will get the fans to love him a whole heck of a lot more than trying to put up with his stubborn ego of thinking it needs to be his way to get it turned around, because we’ve seen so far that it’s not gonna work. 

For the past few weeks, I've thought that there is maybe a 1% chance that Woody is let go and a 5% chance that he is talked into moving into the head of basketball operations / GM role. Primary reason I had it so low was that he got us to the tourney the last 2 seasons. Granted in some ways I think we overrate how good those 2 seasons actually were. Regardless, I just didn't feel there was a precedent to fire him after the last 2 years. 

However, there really is a precedent. Crean took IU to the tourney the 2 years prior to his firing. He went to the sweet 16 and won conference the year prior. He had 3 Sweet 16s in the prior 5 years. And this season we are twice as bad (100 in KenPom compared to 50 in Crean's last year) to the tipping point for Crean. If all that was not good enough for a 52 year old coach then why would it be good enough for a 66 year old coach?

Maybe I am just willing it into existence at this point, but I'm going to move that % up. I'd say, there is maybe a 25-30% chance that Dolson tactfully probes or is already probing with Woody his likeliness of moving into the GM role that Matta had.