Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Mike Woodson to be next IUBB coach. Thad Matta to be associate AD

Just thinking.....often hear people say they are cautiously optimistic about someone getting hired, but I've never heard anyone say that they are 'cautiously pessimistic'.  Why so many degrees of optimism but only one degree of pessimism?

Pessimism, I feel sorry for you.....you're way too pigeon holed.

9 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Just thinking.....often hear people say they are cautiously optimistic about someone getting hired, but I've never heard anyone say that they are 'cautiously pessimistic'.  Why so many degrees of optimism but only one degree of pessimism?

Pessimism, I feel sorry for you.....you're way too pigeon holed.

Ha! I'd actually say that cautiously pessimistic is where I'm at right now with the hire!

1 hour ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

I think my favorite part of the hire is the national media hates it. They are wrong on everything so I feel good about this!

I was worried about recruiting but Dakich sold me on his ability to recruit. He was involved in NBA free agency. That is pretty much recruitment. 

I would agree and even contend NBA free agency is even more like recruiting the transfer portal, which is growing in importance.   Those kids and their parents have already been through the recruiting process once, and should be more savvy toward false promises, and looking for authenticity in relationships. 

I know that someone said it in these 113 pages but I'm glad to see that IU is finally investing and building a P5 conference basketball program.  Bringing in operations experts, collaborating true basketball experience, and bringing back IU basketball as it should be.

No more changing IU basketball to Dayton basketball or Marquette basketball.  We had at one time a brand, a culture, and a Identity which is dying to come out again.

To be dramatic, it's good to feel the sun shine on my face again with this basketball program.

10 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Money was for one person and one person only. He was not let out of his contract. We did the next best thing to unite this fan base. Which has happened for the most part, except for a few people. 

So Boston wouldn't cooperate? 

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

Correct. 

Not surprising. Thibs mentioned that Woody had to be released from his Knicks contract. He commended Dolan for doing so. Apparently, NBA coaching contracts are binding on the part of the coach. He probably has a lot of stuff in there about leaving for a college job, as BOS had to fear that upon signing him. 

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

That can't be accurate. Stevens could resign. Boston can't stop him from coaching in college, only for another NBA team. 

I don't follow the NBA but this is what I thought too. Is it possible Boston put something in his contract restricting him from leaving for college since he came from Butler? I'm not a lawyer so I have no idea.

2 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Not surprising. Thibs mentioned that Woody had to be released from his Knicks contract. He commended Dolan for doing so. Apparently, NBA coaching contracts are binding on the part of the coach. He probably has a lot of stuff in there about leaving for a college job, as BOS had to fear that upon signing him. 

We kinda have a prohibition on indentured servitude.  Courts won’t make a person work a job.  Stevens could have quit — he might have owed a few bucks but that’s all.  

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I would be really surprised. I don’t think NBA teams typically do those kind of clauses like colleges do, because they have agreed upon rules that teams can't poach coaches from each other. 

I just don't believe that if Stevens really wanted the IU job that the Celtics could prevent it, and even if they could that they would prevent. 

I don’t believe that. 

The more I think about it, I think that your probably right.  My initial thought was that Stevens got cold feet because Ainge told him that if he does that, no NBA team will hire him and if he fails he’ll have to go back to mid-major coaching. And given our recent past, the chance of failure is pretty high.

Edited by FrenchConnection