Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Mike Woodson to be next IUBB coach. Thad Matta to be associate AD

Interesting journey. It appears he's been more of a defensive minded coach as an AC. I wonder if he brings in an offensive minded AC? Obviously college basketball is different than the pro's, I wonder what schemes he'll bring defensively. 

Under his coaching the Hawks went from 29th to 2nd in offense, and his 2012-13 Knkcks team had the highest offensive eating in the league. I don't know if that was because of assistant coaches, but I think he knows what to do to put together an offense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remember how relaxed the team was under Davis vs RMK?  I think the same could happen here. I don’t know that these guys ever bought into Archie and some of that may be on them but if Woodsons style is more open and free then that alone could unleash some things we did not know guys were capable of

Just now, Free Jurkin! said:

Under his coaching the Hawks went from 29th to 2nd in offense, and his 2012-13 Knkcks team had the highest offensive eating in the league. I don't know if that was because of assistant coaches, but I think he knows what to do to put together an offense.

Basketball was different then, so I'm not taking too much of that into account. I mean.. NBA players don't shoot mid-range jumpers anymore like 2013.

The Knicks were Top 3 that year in 2013. 

4 minutes ago, Trish said:

Basketball was different then, so I'm not taking too much of that into account. I mean.. NBA players don't shoot mid-range jumpers anymore like 2013.

He did say that he used to hate the three ball but learned to adapt to the modern game. The Knicks led the entire NBA in 3 point attempts in 2013 and were fourth in percentage. 

They also led the league in 3's made and taken. Were 4th in %. Do Player's still take 3's today? 

The Knicks led the league in 3s and makes. He made Steve Novak a legitimate offensive threat. He was ahead of the game in running a modern offense.

4 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

They also led the league in 3's made and taken. Were 4th in %. Do Player's still take 3's today? 

That is the NBA, they have the best players in the entire world. 

Woody needs to prove himself with worse players in comparison at the D1 level. 

1 hour ago, mdiu28 said:

I'm hopeful this works out but too am cautious and setting initial expectations lower than I'd like. 

Expectations.   That's going to be a plus in this hire.  Expectations for the first year or two will certainly be lower than if some others had taken the position.  There may be an advantage to this.   

Just now, IUc2016 said:

Not just that. They were also one of, if not the first to embrace  self-created 3 pt shooting. Despite the highest 3PT attempt rate, they weren’t heavily reliant on assists.

This was still relatively ahead of the curve as most 3pt heavy teams still produced the majority of their shots via system. I think it shows a flexibility & willingness to adapt.

And their 3pt strategy was definitely intentional. They ranked bottom 5ish in long 2 pt attempts per game...for anybody that isn’t a die hard nba fan, just know that getting Prime Melo to drastically reduce his midrange diet is a massive accomplishment in itself 

5 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

well no ****. But if you are going to argue he can't run a modern offense at least look at ALL of the facts. 

Modern offense? That's a statement. The Knicks were 26/30 in Pace that year. 11th in Points Per Game.

We don't know what offense he's going to run. He hasn't been a head coach since 2014. He's been turned down from multiple head coaching jobs in the past three years. He's bee the defensive coach with the Clippers and Knicks for the most part. 

Let's not assume he's bringing in the Warriors NBA flow offense. 

That is the NBA, they have the best players in the entire world. 

Woody needs to prove himself with worse players in comparison at the D1 level. 

But you were questioning his offensive credentials. In 2013, they shot 45% more 3s on average than the league. In today’s modern nba, that same difference between #1 and league average is down to 20%. Today’s game is far more uniform in style than in 2013. 

So if anything, this shows that he was ahead of the offensive curve...especially when you look at their long 2 attempt rates..

3 minutes ago, Trish said:

Modern offense? That's a statement. The Knicks were 26/30 in Pace that year. 11th in Points Per Game.

We don't know what offense he's going to run. He hasn't been a head coach since 2014. He's been turned down from multiple head coaching jobs in the past three years. He's bee the defensive coach with the Clippers and Knicks for the most part. 

Nobody has assumed anything but YOU...

I don't know if he will work out or not but I am willing to give him a chance. Of course I have my doubts but I also have some reasons I am excited.

You on the other hand have already made your decision. So who is assuming? 

You ever think that maybe the reason they played so slow is because they were the oldest team in the nba?

2 minutes ago, IUBBx5Banners said:

But you were questioning his offensive credentials. In 2013, they shot 45% more 3s on average than the league. In today’s modern nba, that same difference between #1 and league average is down to 20%. Today’s game is far more uniform in style than in 2013. 

So if anything, this shows that he was ahead of the offensive curve...especially when you look at their long 2 attempt rates..

That's encouraging to hear, however I still have my doubts. If he was so offensive minded then he sure hasn't been given the chance after being the defensive coordinator with the Clippers and Knicks. In addition to him not being selected to coach the Lakers or Knicks, or Suns. 

Without scrolling through 111 pages, can some give me an idea of the negative comments that Dakich had on the Matta portion of this hire? I saw it mentioned, but don't think I ever saw the exact statements