Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Mike Woodson to be next IUBB coach. Thad Matta to be associate AD

35 minutes ago, Hoosierfan222 said:

Woodson is 63, Stevens can always come back in 10-15 years once Woody has restored the program back to what it was during his day ;)

Well...I would rather want to have either Dane Fife or Michael Lewis as our coach. In 10-15 years, Stevens will be just one of the options, and IU certainly won't offer 7 mil/year. 

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

I was told from someone who would know that he told us yes, then told Boston and was told he was under contract. That they were unwilling to let him out of his contract. Either way I think it worked out for the best.

The ship has obviously sailed, but man, if that is true then you have to wonder about the work environment in Boston.  If I wanted out and my employer would not let me, I would be pretty disgruntled.  Particularly with what he is facing from those fans (like getting doxxed).

45 minutes ago, Trish said:

What it could’ve been Brad :( 

Now Woodson is teaching the boys about Indiana Basketball in the main lobby!

You know sometimes things happen for reasons. Stevens' rejection and Woodson hiring can be a blessing in disguise. Could Stevens teach players what it means to don IU jerseys? And IU pride? I don't think so. These kids really need 'spirit'. 

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

The Celtics can't prevent him from resigning and going to coach at a different level. 

I think you're oversimplifying things. Technically you're right. Stevens can simply resign if he wanted IU job, but what if Celtics management team and the ownership were not cool with his sudden resignation in the middle of the season? Certainly a young coach like Stevens wouldn't want to hurt those peoples' feelings because he may want to come back to the NBA down the road. Boston Celtics is a powerful NBA franchise, and if a young coach like him wants to move on, it would need to be at least a mutual decision or he should be fired for performance reason. 

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

We're all oversimplying things. There's nobody on this message board that was in the room with Stevens, Ainge, Wyc, or Dolson on IU's side. None of us know exactly what happened. 

With that said, knowing a bit about how the Celtics operate, and how these things work, I'm absolutely confident that if Brad Stevens wanted to be IU's coach, he would be IU's coach. 

The Celtics aren't going to play some game where they ruin his career or threaten his future NBA prospects, beyond owning his rights and getting compensation if he returned to the NBA. 

IMO, the most plausible scenario is that he really just wanted to stay in Boston and stay in the NBA. The next most plausible scenario is he had interest but he and the Celtics wanted him to finish this season in the NBA and IU didn't want to wait. 

I'm as confident as I can be that there wasn't a scenario where Stevens wanted the IU job and the Celtics somehow forced him to stay against his wishes. 

I doubt he was forced to stay and the truth is probably someplace in the middle. With that though I know you are a Celtics fan and have close ties having worked their but Ainge is a snake when it comes to making trades and improving the roster and that's why they are struggling in Boston. I don't trust him and hate the way he plays teams in the media when his fleecing attempts don't work. With that said Mike Woodson is IU's coach for the next several years so I think we can move on from any Stevens talk for at least another 5 or 6 years minimum. If Matta's still around and Brad's kids are older then maybe Matta can hire Brad a second time and Brad can finally return home and take a crack at his dream job. He can deny it in the press conference but at some point he will want to try and tackle his dream he had when he was a younger coach even if the timing wasn't right this time for whatever reason.  

5 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

I doubt he was forced to stay and the truth is probably someplace in the middle. With that though I know you are a Celtics fan and have close ties having worked their but Ainge is a snake when it comes to making trades and improving the roster and that's why they are struggling in Boston. I don't trust him and hate the way he plays teams in the media when his fleecing attempts don't work. With that said Mike Woodson is IU's coach for the next several years so I think we can move on from any Stevens talk for at least another 5 or 6 years minimum. If Matta's still around and Brad's kids are older then maybe Matta can hire Brad a second time and Brad can finally return home and take a crack at his dream job. He can deny it in the press conference but at some point he will want to try and tackle his dream he had when he was a younger coach even if the timing wasn't right this time for whatever reason.  

That's just squarely perception of opposing fans on Danny Ainge, not the reality. He wouldn't have lasted this long as a GM with one team if that was accurate. Hes widely respected in the NBA among players, coaches, and other GM's. 

I find it funny when fans present this image of Ainge. On one hand opposing fans call him a snake who other teams don't trust, then on the other hand they call him "Trader Danny" because he trades so much. It can't be both. 

Read this article from just a couple months ago that are anonymous quotes from other GM's on what it's really like to deal with Danny. This is the reality. Most GM's like dealing with the Celtics. 

https://www.celticsblog.com/platform/amp/2021/1/19/22237956/what-is-it-really-like-to-talk-trades-with-danny-ainge-boston-celtics

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

That's just squarely perception of opposing fans on Danny Ainge, not the reality. He wouldn't have lasted this long as a GM with one team if that was accurate. Hes widely respected in the NBA among players, coaches, and other GM's. 

I find it funny when fans present this image of Ainge. On one hand opposing fans call him a snake who other teams don't trust, then on the other hand they call him "Trader Danny" because he trades so much. It can't be both. 

Read this article from just a couple months ago that are anonymous quotes from other GM's on what it's really like to deal with Danny. This is the reality. Most GM's like dealing with the Celtics. 

https://www.celticsblog.com/platform/amp/2021/1/19/22237956/what-is-it-really-like-to-talk-trades-with-danny-ainge-boston-celtics

Maybe that's the case but I just don't like how with the Celtics it always leaks out about how they "almost got so and so" or they "didn't really want so and so" just to make themselves look better. When in reality all it does is make him look like he doesn't want to improve the roster without fleecing the other team. 

2 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

Maybe that's the case but I just don't like how with the Celtics it always leaks out about how they "almost got so and so" or they "didn't really want so and so" just to make themselves look better. When in reality all it does is make him look like he doesn't want to improve the roster without fleecing the other team. 

Maybe that's not whats really happening.