Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

3 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

True. But

• Newton will need a year of playing back to health,
  • Leal does not need to play, and
  • Cupps is likely a 10-15 mpg point guard backup if we get Rice or Carlyle.

That leaves Gallo as the backup at the two and three, which could easily be 20-25 mpg. That's a winning formula.

I think I can speak for the sandwich person on here, who I agree with, when I say this…..

If we are playing to win games - Leal needs to play.

6 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

I think I can speak for the sandwich person on here, who I agree with, when I say this…..

If we are playing to win games - Leal needs to play.

I think he has a role, what that is depends on who we get on our roster 

15 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I think I can answer both you and the sandwich:

No. He does not.

If we are playing to win games such as two years ago when we were a four seed? He did not play because the roster had enough actual talent. Glad Leal is a Hoosier but if he’s averaging over ten minutes a game? We. Are. Screwed.

When he played big minutes we won.

He hit two game winning buckets.  When teams tried to iso him and go after him on defense he held up and made big plays.  Game winning plays.

He won in high school.  It won’t fit some people’s narratives that like to look at individual stats, but the bottom line is he is a winner.  Some people are and some people are not.  Leal is.

12 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

He hit two game winning buckets.  When teams tried to iso him and go after him on defense he held up and made big plays.  Game winning plays.

He won in high school.  It won’t fit some people’s narratives that like to look at individual stats, but the bottom line is he is a winner.  Some people are and some people are not.  Leal is.

Correlation does not equal causation.

When Harrison Niego was in IU’s guard rotation we were Big Ten outright champs.

That does not mean that Harrison Niego was the reason we won the B1G that year.

7 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Correlation does not equal causation.

When Harrison Niego was in IU’s guard rotation we were Big Ten outright champs.

That does not mean that Harrison Niego was the reason we won the B1G that year.

Wonder what IU’s record was when Johnny Marlin played in Zellers last year. Lol

5 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

IU was 8-7 in games in which Leal played double digit minutes. Only 2 of the 8 wins were against tournament teams: MSU and Wisconsin. Leal scored 3 points in those two games. IU won because Ware went off. 27/11 in one, 28/12 in the other. 

If Anthony Leal plays significant minutes for IU next year then Mike Woodson whiffed in the portal on guards. 

Here come the stats I was talking about.  Predictable lol.   I don’t want to get in trouble with @Class of '66 Old Fart for being off topic so I won’t post anymore about it here after this.  Anyone (well especially @Class of '66 Old Fart) can PM me.  When he played over 20 minutes we didn’t lose.  Game winning buckets.  Game winning plays.  Some people know how to play and are winners.  Some are not.

Here come the stats I was talking about.  Predictable lol.   I don’t want to get in trouble with [mention=4011]Class of '66 Old Fart[/mention] for being off topic so I won’t post anymore about it here after this.  Anyone (well especially [mention=4011]Class of '66 Old Fart[/mention]) can PM me.  When he played over 20 minutes we didn’t lose.  Game winning buckets.  Game winning plays.  Some people know how to play and are winners.  Some are not.

Agree, but we need that basketball IQ coupled with the other athleticism/skills if we really want to take that jump. But yeah, he should have got all of Gunns minutes Last year and many of Cupps too.

Next year, I hope we have more options.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Leal played 18 minutes against Purdue. We lost by 20. I don’t think 2 more minutes would have made the difference. 3 players scored 58 of our 65 points against MSU. Leal scored 0 of the 65 and you want to attribute the win to Leal. 

Leal was a backup on a mediocre IU team that missed the tournament last season. If we want to be better than that next season we’ll need better guards. Like we had during the best season of Woodson’s tenure when Leal played 24 minutes all season. Playing Leal more isn’t the answer. He's there for locker room chemistry, leadership, and continuity. 

He's for winning.

image.gif.64a514ef5ccd3cde5a3ab2fe6511e891.gif

7 hours ago, IU - Kaulie said:

On a championship caliber roster Anthony Leal is not in the rotation. He got minutes this year because of a complete lack of guard depth. Gunn was a negative, Leal being the less bad option doesn't mean he was a good option.

There are end of the bench players on rosters all across the country that won in high school.