Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

Just now, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Darren Wolfson -

Former #Gophers big Pharrel Payne portal update: Told he’ll visit the Indiana Hoosiers late this week.  (Dead period ends Thursday)

Indiana, Louisville, Miss St., Nebraska Oregon, Texas, and Texas A&M all still in play.

Perfect backup to MR at the 5.

Trevor Andershock reports we've reached out to 6'10" Elijah Malone of Grace College (1 yr. left).  Averaged 17.3p;  8.3r; 1.9a; 2.5b and was named NAIA Player of the Year after being an NAIA 2nd team All-American the previous year.

https://gclancers.com/news/2024/4/1/mens-basketball-moore-malone-earn-naia-national-coach-player-of-the-year.aspx

9 minutes ago, IndyHoops said:

Would be interesting to see what he is looking for. I am guessing he left Minnesota because Dawson Garcia chose to stick around another year. That was going to cut into his playing time.

Not sure he would come here, further away from home, to be the back up. Just my opinion though

2 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Trevor Andershock reports we've reached out to 6'10" Elijah Malone of Grace College (1 yr. left).  Averaged 17.3p;  8.3r; 1.9a; 2.5b and was named NAIA Player of the Year after being an NAIA 2nd team All-American the previous year.

https://gclancers.com/news/2024/4/1/mens-basketball-moore-malone-earn-naia-national-coach-player-of-the-year.aspx

Not sure if this has been previously reported or not - but I am told he is scheduled to visit Notre Dame on 4/14 and IU on 4/18. Interesting to me that his visit is after Pharrel Payne's (maybe order of priority?) . I personally would prefer Malone as he seems like the more skilled basketball player - but unclear how his game would translate in the big ten.

3 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

Would be interesting to see what he is looking for. I am guessing he left Minnesota because Dawson Garcia chose to stick around another year. That was going to cut into his playing time.

Not sure he would come here, further away from home, to be the back up. Just my opinion though

Absolutely true.  However, the real time impact of the development of our big men over the last couple years is definitely getting us into parties pretty regularly.   

2 minutes ago, FW Hoosier said:

Absolutely true.  However, the real time impact of the development of our big men over the last couple years is definitely getting us into parties pretty regularly.   

Yeah I am not saying we won't get him. I just don't think we could get him if our pitch is to come here and back up Malik.

So IU has reached out to the following big guys, that we know of: Ben Humrichous (Evansville), Amari Williams (Drexel), Bradshaw (UK), Ballo (Arizona), Payne (Minnesota), Elijah Malone (Grace College)

Of that group, Ballo is a true center that is a total negative in terms of floor spacing. He definitely has his benefits but he's a dreadful foul shooter and would, in my opinion, be a terrible partner for Malik Reneau. Unless you had three elite three-point shooters surrounding Malik and Ballo, that would be a very clogged lane. Williams would not be great for floor spacing but he's a good passer, very good rebounder and rim-runner. Is he the perfect partner for Malik? No. But I think if he played 20-25 minutes per game, he would be a good addition that positively impacted winning. Pharrel Payne is a tough player, good defender, solid rebounder but again, no real floor spacing with Payne. Aaron Bradshaw is the high-ceiling wild card. He is skilled, athletic, lengthy BUT production was not really there in high school consistently and it has yet to be there at the collegiate level. There are legitimate reasons why that has been the case for him and IU/Woodson has a history now of getting the best out of a similar high-ceiling big man (Ware) but still, it's a concern that he didn't really put it together for Kentucky and they sure could have used him on defense. Humrichous is the best offensive option of the group but his process will take a while to play out as he is determined to work out for NBA teams. He's not a plus rebounder and he would not be a rim protector...at all. Elijah Malone is a complete unknown to me. The little bit of highlights I have seen would suggest he could be productive on offense, struggle on defense. That's such a massive jump up in competition level.

My simpleton brain would rank these as follows:

Center: Amari Williams, Bradshaw, Payne, Ballo

Forward: Humrichous, Malone

7 minutes ago, HoosierHuddle said:

So IU has reached out to the following big guys, that we know of: Ben Humrichous (Evansville), Amari Williams (Drexel), Bradshaw (UK), Ballo (Arizona), Payne (Minnesota), Elijah Malone (Grace College)

Of that group, Ballo is a true center that is a total negative in terms of floor spacing. He definitely has his benefits but he's a dreadful foul shooter and would, in my opinion, be a terrible partner for Malik Reneau. Unless you had three elite three-point shooters surrounding Malik and Ballo, that would be a very clogged lane. Williams would not be great for floor spacing but he's a good passer, very good rebounder and rim-runner. Is he the perfect partner for Malik? No. But I think if he played 20-25 minutes per game, he would be a good addition that positively impacted winning. Pharrel Payne is a tough player, good defender, solid rebounder but again, no real floor spacing with Payne. Aaron Bradshaw is the high-ceiling wild card. He is skilled, athletic, lengthy BUT production was not really there in high school consistently and it has yet to be there at the collegiate level. There are legitimate reasons why that has been the case for him and IU/Woodson has a history now of getting the best out of a similar high-ceiling big man (Ware) but still, it's a concern that he didn't really put it together for Kentucky and they sure could have used him on defense. Humrichous is the best offensive option of the group but his process will take a while to play out as he is determined to work out for NBA teams. He's not a plus rebounder and he would not be a rim protector...at all. Elijah Malone is a complete unknown to me. The little bit of highlights I have seen would suggest he could be productive on offense, struggle on defense. That's such a massive jump up in competition level.

We are definitely intending to add a big man that commands starter level minutes.

I agree Williams is probably my #1, but I still foresee the same problems as last year. And I don't think any of them will match Ware's production. 

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Darren Wolfson -

Former #Gophers big Pharrel Payne portal update: Told he’ll visit the Indiana Hoosiers late this week.  (Dead period ends Thursday)

Indiana, Louisville, Miss St., Nebraska Oregon, Texas, and Texas A&M all still in play.

YESYESYESYESYES!!!!

Kid plays like his hair is on fire, and he has shown the ability to greatly improve. (Terrible free throw shooter btw)

1000% great get. Better than Bradshaw—Payne is a freaking warrior and a great teammate. Minny fans were truly dejected that he went to the portal. And Payne is a two year get.

And this should go without saying; Payne is immeasurably more likely to positively impact the team than Malone. Coming from NAIA Malone is a backup and nothing more. Payne is absolutely starting 5 quality.

Payne + Humrichous as a stretch 4/5 + Malone as a deep backup would be an A+ job of filling the big openings.

1 hour ago, IndyHoops said:

Honestly I think MR is better suited for the 4 and we get an athletic big who can shoot at the 5.  Will take the pressure off MR of having to guard the opposing 7 footers.........

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Guessing bench/role player........

54 minutes ago, HoosierHuddle said:

Go hard after Amari Williams or Bradshaw for the 5 spot.  Humrichous for the 3 interchangeable with Mgbako

3 minutes ago, Hoosierfanyuh said:

Eric just dropped a Conwell hint for this week

TO me he needs added somewhere to the top of our list.  Has he officially hit the portal yet with Schertz heading off to St. Louis?  I am assuming he follows, but we need to really reach out.