Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson + Assessment of Former Posters

Appreciate the intent, but that name getting out would lose me my sources pretty quickly. 

Hey Jerry, thanks so much for taking the time and for the detail. Are you personally a fan of Dolson and have trust that he will get this next hire right? Your update gives me some hope that he knows what he’s doing, but is perhaps handcuffed by admin/donors. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

If there were three candidates and pearl goes to ff and wants to stay, they don’t think May is good enough and the third said no,  wouldn’t that leave us with nobody?

6 minutes ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

Appreciate the intent, but that name getting out would lose me my sources pretty quickly. 

It’s hard to accept that we are now at least two years away from an important selection Sunday now.  Only at IU can we hire a chain smoking, wine chugging head coach who can’t be “retired due to health issues”

7 minutes ago, TadQueasy said:

What is it about Otzelberger that gets him in this discussion?  I know he has Iowa State at a good spot this year, but wasn't he pretty mediocre at UNLV.  What am I missing?

Same with Shrewsbury. He’s 50-51 and 24-36 in conference play in three seasons as a P5 head coach…

30 minutes ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

First thing's first, congrats to the IU women on the 4-seed and hosting opportunity. Tough draw, but they call it madness for a reason. Secondly, love you guys and this community, but goodness you're not shy about using the private message feature. Sorry for ghosting many of you but easier to just post publicly.

And, now that I've effectively buried the lead, Woodson is back next year with a couple caveats and interesting details:

- Meeting Tuesday happened as scheduled and talk was future of the basketball program and specifically how Woody fits in that plan

- Though Dolson and BoT disagree about it happening now, consensus was that this isn't the bridge hire they'd hoped for and this is his last year barring some miracle B1G championship or FF run next year that would make for bad optics.

- Woodson was given the opportunity to retire and go out amicably but said no and that he thinks he can use the portal to put us in a better position to transition to another coach after next year.

- Dolson laid out expectations for portal results and win/loss results next season that would result in letting Woody go; just my opinion but it sounds like Buckner, boosters, etc. got him the 4th year but Scotty Dolson has his finger on the eject button and Woodson knows it. Fully expect him to announce a "planned retirement" next year so he can go out on his "own terms"

- For what it's worth, Dolson did put out feelers and got positive feedback on interest from 2 of his top 3 potential replacement candidates; think we can get May with a text message, Pearl has serious interest but wouldn't make a move if his team makes a FF run or wins a natty. 

- I think we as a fanbase/board are higher on Dusty than the administration/BoT; sounds like they're only interested in a homerun hire, win now guy if they do move and risking a third straight miss isn't something they're willing to do and just because he has IU ties and made a good tourney run, feeling is May isn't a guarantee at this level.

That's what I've got that I'm able to share comfortably right now. Not what myself or anybody on this board probably wants to hear. Moral is one more year is 95% likely (everyone root for UCONN in the S16, and a miracle!) It's kind of messy internally and they're trying to move on to get IU back to a top tier program while letting Woodson ride into the sunset having left the program in a good place and "stepping aside" for the good of the program. ??

Thanks for the tidbits Jerry! From my eyes, it seems like Dolson is waiting for any reason to eject Woodson. Say Auburn loses before the S16, how do those chances look. As that pinged my eyes a little bit.

Just now, JerryYeagley23 said:

MR, MM, KW moving on/entering the portal moves the needle probably. Combined with an early exit by Auburn it gets more interesting.  

But probably won’t t happen due to booster funding for woody correct?

6 minutes ago, tyappleg said:

Just braindead.  If the only thing saving him is a B10 title or a FF next year; just cut him loose now.  Barring a miracle, next year is just a lost year at this point and another year of apathy and the IU program sinking deeper into the depths of mediocrity.  Go get the guy you want now and get started on the rebuild.  Thanks for the update. 

I agree, odds are it being a lost year. Depending on a portal roster overhaul definitely isn’t a recipe for success. I have to think if there is a homerun candidate seriously interested, then you have to pursue that, regardless of hurt feelings. Not everyone gets to ride off into the sunset. 

10 minutes ago, tyappleg said:

Just braindead.  If the only thing saving him is a B10 title or a FF next year; just cut him loose now.  Barring a miracle, next year is just a lost year at this point and another year of apathy and the IU program sinking deeper into the depths of mediocrity.  Go get the guy you want now and get started on the rebuild.  Thanks for the update. 

I couldn’t agree more. The decision makers are literally willing to tank the next season.
Maybe Woody has somehow convinced them that we will get the number one pick by finishing last.

3 minutes ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

MR, MM, KW moving on/entering the portal moves the needle probably. Combined with an early exit by Auburn it gets more interesting.  

Thanks for all the info! Any thoughts you can share on the unusual announcement Woodson was returning last week shortly before tipoff, especially if there's still a slight chance he isnt?

18 minutes ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

Scott is definitely fighting the good fight, but the headwinds have been substantial. I think he will get this right in the long run personally. He knows what needs to happen. 

Having this plan/vision in place is the administration now good with simply portal recruiting?  We can’t possibly get any 25’ HS kids with this vision and there is no incentive for Woodson and coaches to recruit now (not that they were anyways)?

19 minutes ago, tyappleg said:

We are not a serious program.

I'm grateful for Jerry's update, but it upset me more than I thought it would.

Our leadership is a joke.

29 minutes ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

First thing's first, congrats to the IU women on the 4-seed and hosting opportunity. Tough draw, but they call it madness for a reason. Secondly, love you guys and this community, but goodness you're not shy about using the private message feature. Sorry for ghosting many of you but easier to just post publicly.

And, now that I've effectively buried the lead, Woodson is back next year with a couple caveats and interesting details:

- Meeting Tuesday happened as scheduled and talk was future of the basketball program and specifically how Woody fits in that plan

- Though Dolson and BoT disagree about it happening now, consensus was that this isn't the bridge hire they'd hoped for and this is his last year barring some miracle B1G championship or FF run next year that would make for bad optics.

- Woodson was given the opportunity to retire and go out amicably but said no and that he thinks he can use the portal to put us in a better position to transition to another coach after next year.

- Dolson laid out expectations for portal results and win/loss results next season that would result in letting Woody go; just my opinion but it sounds like Buckner, boosters, etc. got him the 4th year but Scotty Dolson has his finger on the eject button and Woodson knows it. Fully expect him to announce a "planned retirement" next year so he can go out on his "own terms"

- For what it's worth, Dolson did put out feelers and got positive feedback on interest from 2 of his top 3 potential replacement candidates; think we can get May with a text message, Pearl has serious interest but wouldn't make a move if his team makes a FF run or wins a natty. 

- I think we as a fanbase/board are higher on Dusty than the administration/BoT; sounds like they're only interested in a homerun hire, win now guy if they do move and risking a third straight miss isn't something they're willing to do and just because he has IU ties and made a good tourney run, feeling is May isn't a guarantee at this level.

That's what I've got that I'm able to share comfortably right now. Not what myself or anybody on this board probably wants to hear. Moral is one more year is 95% likely (everyone root for UCONN in the S16, and a miracle!) It's kind of messy internally and they're trying to move on to get IU back to a top tier program while letting Woodson ride into the sunset having left the program in a good place and "stepping aside" for the good of the program. ??

Thanks for the information and the update… Much appreciated.

I do have to say, though that I don’t understand this logic.

If there’s a consensus that this hire has not achieved what it was meant to, and isn’t going in the right direction, and there’s real doubt and risk about not obtaining the right kind of talent in the portal, then I don’t understand the decision to continue it for another year.

I think I understand the part where they think there may be a chance to make next year better than this year, but what about the chance of not doing well enough in the portal, and next year being even worse?

It may have already been asked, but is there a chance that the eject button might be pushed if portaling goes too poorly, or is it year four no matter what?

I think a lot of folks have a very serious concern that if recruiting/portaling doesn’t go well, this could get very bad very very quickly.

Thanks again for the information and any other light you can shed.