Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson + Assessment of Former Posters

I’d be shocked if Malik left now. Two weeks ago? Sure. Not now. Not with the money they are using. 
Probably be better off paying more for a transfer. Malik would be a gamble that he can stay on the floor!

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

26 minutes ago, Feathery said:

While I think a change needs to be made, I agree with the BoT in that IU needs an established coach for immediate turn around over a mid major coach. Give me Pearl over May.

Listened to a Michigan podcast (MGoPodcast) on my way to work this morning. They had May behind coaches from Colorado St and Drake. They seemed skeptical that it took him until year 4 to break out. His year 3 was a drop like Woodsons this year. So they liked him but he was in the tier below their top gettable coaches. 

It was interesting to listen to them cover the issues with Michigan basketball under Howard and how he won with Beilein’s players. Then when it was his players he couldn’t construct a roster. They thought it was bc in the NBA there is a GM for roster construction and that they recruited players the NBA already identified as prospects. Those players jump early, and they skipped over the players that made them successful, ones who needed to develop and show the NBA they could play at that level. Which is what Beilein recruited. 

Anyway a lot of similarities between Howard/Michigan and Woodson/IU. 

Year three was a COVID year with less games played.  His winning percentage was higher in year 3 than year one or two.   

5 minutes ago, MrBBall said:

I’d be shocked if Malik left now. Two weeks ago? Sure. Not now. Not with the money they are using. 

I don't know NIL details, but I'd have to think U of Florida could easily match anything IU is putting on the table if he decided to be closer to home.

3 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Exactly!  Dusty May might end up being a good coach, but if he turns out to be another Archie Miller, this program won’t recover for another 10-15 years.  We have to hit a home run with our next hire and it needs to be an established P5 coach

I don't necessarily disagree with the risk, but what is the alternative? If we don't move on for another year, that is going to most likely mean two years of no HS recruits. Dusty would at least refill the roster immediately as best he could. The thought that we might not be seriously pursuing or in the running for recruits until the 2026 class is unconscionable to me. The only way I would not want Dusty this season is if Pearly was a real possibility. The consequences of bottoming out next season are dire IMO for the next guy.

Hopefully this turns out to be a matter of we’re keeping word out with plans of Woodson being here next year just for optics and getting started on the portal if he is indeed going to be here, and then if Pearl exits tournament somewhat early and is available to pounce on, we make the move. Have to say that Woodson is the coach for now unless the other two candidates fall in your lap and can get their building process started. If it doesn’t work out that we get Pearl or May by a certain time, then you still have Woodson doing his portal stuff to continue on with his last season and we go from there. 

8 hours ago, IU - Kaulie said:

Thank you so much for sharing what you can without burning your sources.

Not at all surprised Dolson is ready to move on and that the money and power is holding this up.  Sounds like the money and power is more concerned about Mike Woodson than Indiana University.  It’s ridiculous we are just throwing a year away for nothing.  I wish this could get out to all the fan base and see how much dollars IU could lose next year if fans stopped supporting the program for a year. The only thing we are doing is buying players to come right now.  High school recruiting is dead for this current year and next.

I am surprised that they are not as high on Dusty May as we are.  I also wonder who the 3rd person was.  Also surprised you guys are using the private message tool ha lol.  I might have to look into that lol.  Hopefully Dolson lets his finger slip and hits the eject button.  This is nuts lol.

The third person has said no a couple of times already. 

It makes you wonder when we only reached out to three people how serious we were. We need to have a full-fledged search.

Woodson needs to announce his retirement, so we can openly start talking to other coaches to gauge the real interest. 

Dusty is putting his staff together for Louisville so he will be out for next season. 

59 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

I will say one thing that would concern me if true is if Pearl is saying that Auburn were to make it to the final four this year he would retire.  If he is already looking toward an end game of retiring, might not be the guy we need.

I think he meant to retire at Auburn as his last job, not retire immediately 

4 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

The third person has said no a couple of times already. 

It makes you wonder when we only reached out to three people how serious we were. We need to have a full-fledged search.

Woodson needs to announce his retirement, so we can openly start talking to other coaches to gauge the real interest. 

Dusty is putting his staff together for Louisville so he will be out for next season. 

Any idea who the third person is? I agree that only identifying or targeting 3 candidates seems like we are not casting a wide enough net. This seems to be a recurring issue IU has when targeting new head coaches. 

2 minutes ago, KYHoosier said:

Any idea who the third person is? I agree that only identifying or targeting 3 candidates seems like we are not casting a wide enough net. This seems to be a recurring issue IU has when targeting new head coaches. 

Yeah, he was celebrating St. Patricks Day yesterday

5 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Is it a lack of seriousness or incompetence? I’m guessing both. And I’m not trolling here. There is clear evidence that IU has no ability to run a good football or basketball program. With the Cig hire, there is some hope on that front. Of course, given that IU football is a doormat program. Coaching hires are limited, so I’m looking forward to Cig

But we have an average to poor basketball program. And have for over a decade now. I’m not saying we can snap our fingers and get any coach.  But are choices shouldn’t lead to what we have seen. Until IU decides that it is serious about basketball success AND has the ability to do something about it, we will continue to be an also-ran basketball program.

And I’m not saying the powers that be aren’t well meaning. I’m saying they are failing at running a high level Basketball program. 

Just now, Kentuckysucks said:

Sounds like a bunch of bs.

Seems like if you are only targeting 3 coaches and 1 of them has said no multiple times that leaves you with 2 options (Pearl and May). Not moving on from Woodson this year will prevent you from getting May, if he is your guy. Not moving on from Woodson, is one less year that you could have Pearl. Next year will be a wasted year.

26 minutes ago, theriverpilot said:

I don't know NIL details, but I'd have to think U of Florida could easily match anything IU is putting on the table if he decided to be closer to home.

Idk about that. IU is supposedly overpaying but he may decide he wants to play for a winner and get paid decent money. I don't expect it but it's possible. 

1 minute ago, Papacap said:

Is it a lack of seriousness or incompetence? I’m guessing both. And I’m not trolling here. There is clear evidence that IU has no ability to run a good football or basketball program. With the Cig hire, there is some hope on that front. Of course, given that IU football is a doormat program. Coaching hires are limited, so I’m looking forward to Cig

But we have an average to poor basketball program. And have for over a decade now. I’m not saying we can snap our fingers and get any coach.  But are choices shouldn’t lead to what we have seen. Until IU decides that it is serious about basketball success AND has the ability to do something about it, we will continue to be an also-ran basketball program.

And I’m not saying the powers that be aren’t well meaning. I’m saying they are failing at running a high level Basketball program. 

I think it was Dolson saying I don't think I can convince everyone to make a change so I'm not going to push real hard. Especially knowing that Dusty wasn't going to move the needle. 

5 minutes ago, KYHoosier said:

Seems like if you are only targeting 3 coaches and 1 of them has said no multiple times that leaves you with 2 options (Pearl and May). Not moving on from Woodson this year will prevent you from getting May, if he is your guy. Not moving on from Woodson, is one less year that you could have Pearl. Next year will be a wasted year.

If May is the guy and we don’t move this year, there will be another May next year. I also expect Shrews to have a much improved year at ND next year. So he could be available next year. 

Shaka Smart has excelled at basketball schools and I think could be an option. I know he is from Wisconsin but not Milwaukee and IU has the funds that Marquette can’t match. I’d have him on a list of coaches to call and gauge interest.  

edit: I’ll also add another year is probably too late for Pearl too. He isn’t getting younger.