Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

I noticed someone asked Osterman to put out a puff piece saying he expects Woodson to be back. That dude has never been able to read a room. Rabby on the other hand printed a piece yesterday that laid out a bunch of facts that stated how bad it is right now. 

27 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Your commitment to going down with the ship is commendable captain.  I will remember your bravery (obstinance?) from the rescue ship.  And if that rescue boat proves to be rickety, well, I guess we deal with that as it comes.  What I do know is that you are on the Titanic playing the violin.

Haha, I thought the same thing. No one is ever going to question his loyalty. 

1 hour ago, JSHoosier said:

Running for president of the Coach Woodson Fan Club. Not many people left at this point.

By not having an experienced, smart, capable Big Ten level point guard on the team, to me, seems the single biggest impediment to IU competing a lot better.  To compete at the highest levels, there are other things.  We all know what they are.  (Shooters, playmakers, discipline, improvement, yada yada...)

By Coach Woodson's and his recruiting staff's wiffing on getting a really decent PG (and shooters & etc.), this season is punked.  

And the pitchforks and torches are out because the staff didn't bring home that bacon.  So let's all throw them under the bus.  Right?

So those that think that Dolson can wave the magic wand and pull in a great head coach candidate that will pull multiple rabbits out of the hat for IU...  I say, yeah right.  

How many years have IU's ADs tried?  Hmmm....since about 2000.   So, g'bye Woody and staff.  Hello coach turnover conveyor belt.  Turn the page.  New chapter in IU tosses old coach and gets a new one.

Meet the new boss.  Same as the old boss.  Ware leaves.  Reneau leaves.  Mgbako leaves.  IU doesn't have a good PG for 2 seasons.  MAC castoffs come to IU and pretend to be B1G contenders.   Can't recruit.  Down the tubes in '24, '25.. '26.

Toss coach under the buss.  Meet the new boss.  Samo...

Sure, Woody is struggling.  The starting five is flawed.  The bench is flawed.  Without shooters and playmakers, what the heck did people think was going to happen this season?  Is this all on Woody.  Oh, yes.  But is it?

Is it because his recruiting philosophy was wrong?  Or is it because he is an inept college coach and can't develop or put them in positions to take advantage of their skills?  Or both?  Or maybe there's something more wrong at IU.

I wish I knew.  Definitely the recruiting failed.  I don't think many coaches could do much more with this team.  Others disagree.  So should Woody get another year? Is that the right question? 

If I were Dolson or Woody at the beginning of this season...we would be working on the recruiting angle.  Getting a recruiting plan in place with the right staff to ensure a better product on the court. If Dolson didn't ensure that.  Then the Trustees should know that by now.  Churning coaches is not the solution.  Having a plan and implementing it properly is the job of the Trustees, the AD, the Coach and staff, and the Administration at the top.  

To me...that is the failure right now.  But go ahead and throw Woody under the bus.  It looks like he is the most...ah...expendable? And someone has to go.  Not the AD.  Not the Trustees.  Heaven knows who the heck is really responsible.   

Really?  Again?  Let's hire the flavor of the month.  Dusty May or Anthony Grant or some older, established and certified winner...  The new Sampson or Archie or Crean?

Keep churning. Keep your expectations really high.  Drama Queens.

Help is on the way.

Great.

Fine.

Ugh.

8 hours ago, Ngw7183 said:

I will also add one more post on the May debate.

When/if any change happens (even next year), the only way it is May is they couldn’t get another big gun and then somehow convince the people who matter this is the best they can get. No matter how you slice it, this is going to be an expensive  and ugly divorce. That means big donors footing the bill.  This time more than ever, there will be a huge set of restrictions and expectations on that money. 

You can believe in May as much as you want. Plenty of the concerns have been debated. Other P5 programs that might or might not be interested, are not IU and don’t have the history of 4 fired coaches, fan expectations, 9th place avg finish in big ten for 10 years, etc. The only way you avoid another year 3/4 fan meltdown, if it doesn’t go well,  is to have a coach that has proven over and over again he knows how to win. Then fans can’t lose it, pick apart everything etc and would have to allow for it to grow. 

I cannot see any booster being okay with anything but a sure thing and proven winner. Don’t kid yourself, this is where the Pearl “info” is coming from. Trilly even stated that but was blown over. That is the type of guy that is going to need to be locked up before they would move and pay it. 

That list is short and only a select few would have the resume AND be willing to take it. Believe it or not, the confidence/arrogance of all coaches does not trump their valid concerns with this program. Why leave a good thing for a mess with crazy expectations. Just win you say?  Plenty of other schools give you 95% to 100% of what IU does without all the extra drama. 

Pearl would probably do it because it was his dream, he probably would love to be THE guy who finally got it done and if it fails, well, he doesn’t have to worry about his next career stop because he is retired then. 

Cronin - next best or the best choice. Proven winner but the pearl clutching over yelling at players, making “excuses” etc would have to stop. That guy is a maniac. He would win. He would take it to get back to Midwest and have NIL as he is done at UCLA because of NiL. His number 1 issue with his current job. 

Not a ton more options that are real. Probably 1 or 2 that could be.  If it is a May, TJ, Shrews, etc. those are not sure things and something that can be achieved cheaper and later. IU won’t pay this without donors. They should but won’t. They won’t even pay for proper facilities without support even with the gravy factory form TV revenue. 

No, I do think he will be fired nor should he be for many reasons but this post is already a novel. If they can lock up a sure thing, that would be my number 1 concern with making this change now. Can’t, I see major issues with it.

It seems some only read your last paragraph and have missed several good points.  We are looking for some big $s to come in and pay a large buyout and those same people should be asking what are we going to do differently this time to ensure we get it right.  Perhaps, if the wheels fall off completely the rest of the year they might feel a change is necessary regardless but if I were being asked once again to put up big money for a buyout I would want more certainty that we get it right.  For Dusty to fall into this tier he would have to have an incredible run in the NCAAT which is an almost unfair expectation but is probably necessary for him to pass up some older, more established coaches who have proven over time they can build a top 20 team year after year.

16 hours ago, Hoosier2014 said:

Maybe the selection committee can do us a solid and put Auburn and FAU as a round of 32 matchup. Winner gets the IU job and sweet 16 appearance.

This sounds so familiar... when Dayton and Wichita State played in the round of 32. I remember thinking "man, these teams play such great ball, I'd be happy to have either of these 2 coaches. 

But yes, I'd still take May or Pearl in a heartbeat. 

4 minutes ago, ISP said:

This sounds so familiar... when Dayton and Wichita State played in the round of 32. I remember thinking "man, these teams play such great ball, I'd be happy to have either of these 2 coaches. 

But yes, I'd still take May or Pearl in a heartbeat. 

I remember that also. It was Gregg Marshall vs Archie...winner get's the IU job lol. I think that might have also been the game where Marshall's wife was a weeeeeee bit intoxicated and making an a** of herself.

Just now, Chris007 said:

For me, this is about the future. As many have said we're about to start a total rebuild. Woodson hasn't ever done that. After seeing how he has handled the roster the first three years do we trust him with rebuilding the roster? He has lost the majority of the fans (hence the booing) to have confidence in him getting the job done at his age. We're going to lose players to the portal, with no confidence in him bringing in players, the 25 class is crucial but who wants to come play for a lame duck coach? NIL money will drop from fans. If he is brought back the first loss next season the boos will be back. This stat stood out to me. The last 10 losses have been by double digits. We're not even playing games close right now. I feel like it is do or die for the program. 

I think word has gotten out this wasn't Scott's first choice as coach, so he will be able to correct this mistake now. Woody had the right people backing him, but he made too many mistakes. 

I know this is an impossible ask, based on the vibes around where are you and those people you have connections to, what are the hypothetical odds a move is made after the season?

8 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

For me, this is about the future. As many have said we're about to start a total rebuild. Woodson hasn't ever done that. After seeing how he has handled the roster the first three years do we trust him with rebuilding the roster? He has lost the majority of the fans (hence the booing) to have confidence in him getting the job done at his age. We're going to lose players to the portal, with no confidence in him bringing in players, the 25 class is crucial but who wants to come play for a lame duck coach? NIL money will drop from fans. If he is brought back the first loss next season the boos will be back. This stat stood out to me. The last 10 losses have been by double digits. We're not even playing games close right now. I feel like it is do or die for the program. 

I think word has gotten out this wasn't Scott's first choice as coach, so he will be able to correct this mistake now. Woody had the right people backing him, but he made too many mistakes. 

..... I can't imagine that the "bus has not already been started"....

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Everything people are saying out loud is he will be back. I will say it has gone from he will get his 4th year, to he will get his 4th year if things don't go off the rails, to everything will be discussed after the season.

But there are whispers that everyone knows this isn't heading in the right direction. That a change needs made but you have to make the right next hire. I think Scott has a list. Can you get all the money lined up, can you make the fiances work? But I think you will lose money in the long run by keeping him. JMO

It seems like the likelihood of replacement increases by about +5% with each loss, +5% with each double digit loss, and 3% with each horrid post game presser. 

With that said, if you are Dolson - I don't see how you don't make the move knowing that Pearl is backdoor lobbying for the job. You have to set the "feelings" aside with Woody being an IU saint and make the move because it's a clear path to improving the program. 

12 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

Always luck involved  teams advancing in the tourney.  Always.   Butler doesn’t make a Final 4 if Pitt doesn’t get called for a foul off a missed FT 94 ft away that gave Butler FTs to win it.  Still one of the craziest endings ever.   Like you said I’d definitely happens more then people realize 

Yes, which is why if you are looking at up and comers you should probably look at the regular season and not the tournament.  Going to need luck to advance far with a team that is less talented than P5 teams.  In those terms, May has succeeded so far.  No guarantees but he does check that box.