Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Chris007

Indiana Players Now In The Portal

33 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

On the surface, sure. Seems crazy. But I laid out a scenario that would be entirely different than him simply just asking for that level of money. A scenario that wouldn’t at all be out of the realm of possibility for Bates’ situation. He’s got a lot more on his plate that a kid his age should have. 

Agree to disagree I suppose. There’s a middle ground between thinking the amount you’re making isn’t enough and asking to make as much as arguably the best player in college basketball. Especially with how he played in the second half of this season. Idk how much Trayce was making. I’d imagine it’s over $500k. You definitely don’t need that much to support a child. A report like that makes me see him as a selfish player who doesn’t care about the team at all, which is not what I want on the team. Could be off, but that’s how I see it. 

4 hours ago, coonhounds said:

Hopefully the staff was able to keep a straight face when he asked for tjd jhs type money. I would not have been able to but glad the kids clearly have courage. I know if I sucked terrible at my job it would be tough to have the courage to ask for top pay lol.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

My guess is that Bates went into the meeting not expecting them to match those demands.  If he ends up at K State or Missouri then it's probably more about wanting to be in that area of the country close to his family and the money he was asking IU for was what it would have taken for him to stay away.

17 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Agree to disagree I suppose. There’s a middle ground between thinking the amount you’re making isn’t enough and asking to make as much as arguably the best player in college basketball. Especially with how he played in the second half of this season. Idk how much Trayce was making. I’d imagine it’s over $500k. You definitely don’t need that much to support a child. A report like that makes me see him as a selfish player who doesn’t care about the team at all, which is not what I want on the team. Could be off, but that’s how I see it. 

Well, yeah, my use of the phrase “that level of money” was poor b/c it assumes he actually asked for TJD level money. I know that was suggested, but I find that very hard to believe. I can see him asking for more money than he was making, maybe a lot more, in the context I gave. And again, it’s fair for the staff to say that isn’t happening here but best of luck.

2 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

He left Kansas St to be the primary pg on a team.  After watching Nowell this year I can see why he wanted that.    

He did but he really isn't the primary point guard at Miami.  He was third on the team in assists at Miami and Wong definitely handled the ball more.  Pack is a hell of a player who might unfortunately not git the pro mold -- not what they look for size wise for a shooting guard but not really a lead point guard.  Heck of a college player, though.

29 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Bates was unplayable in games the second half of the season. I mean a pay cut may have been in order.

1 hour ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

Well, yeah, my use of the phrase “that level of money” was poor b/c it assumes he actually asked for TJD level money. I know that was suggested, but I find that very hard to believe. I can see him asking for more money than he was making, maybe a lot more, in the context I gave. And again, it’s fair for the staff to say that isn’t happening here but best of luck.

Agree skepticism is warranted. Just bc a poster says he’s demanding crazy money most definitely does not make it so, message board stuff

1 hour ago, Alford Bailey said:

Bates was unplayable in games the second half of the season. I mean a pay cut may have been in order.

And he’s the guy Woodson specifically touted, repeatedly, coming out of the summer, and he did have several very good games, and he was very much a team player, and he has a high level of talent but didn’t find consistency. Unplayable the 2d half of the season is a real overstatement. 

If he moves on it’ll be bc it’s best for him, for his family, for what he perceives is right for his basketball future, or other factors we don’t know. I just don’t see the need to bash guys that gave it their all for IU.

10 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

And he’s the guy Woodson specifically touted, repeatedly, coming out of the summer, and he did have several very good games, and he was very much a team player, and he has a high level of talent but didn’t find consistency. Unplayable the 2d half of the season is a real overstatement. 

If he moves on it’ll be bc it’s best for him, for his family, for what he perceives is right for his basketball future, or other factors we don’t know. I just don’t see the need to bash guys that gave it their all for IU.

Agree completely on bashing the players.  Most of the issue isn’t with the guys but the expectations set for them (fair or unfair).  I remember all the reports about Bates being the best guard in practice and a multi level scorer before his freshman year.  By all accounts he and JG have been good teammates and represented IU well off the court.  If they end up in the portal and don’t burn bridges on the way out I hope they both excel at their new schools.

2 hours ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Bates averaged 3 ppg over the last 12 games of the season. And you thought Geronimo was good so maybe not the best judge?

6 hours ago, Alford Bailey said:

Bates averaged 3 ppg over the last 12 games of the season. And you thought Geronimo was good so maybe not the best judge?

Over our last 16 games, he shot 6-12 and had 15 points in the BTT against PSU. In the other 15 games, he shot 10-55, which is 18.2%. Even including the PSU game, he shot 23.9% over our last 16 games. Shot 31.3% from the field in conference play and only had double figures in 3 of 20 regular season conference games. Just a very meh player. 

8 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Over our last 16 games, he shot 6-12 and had 15 points in the BTT against PSU. In the other 15 games, he shot 10-55, which is 18.2%. Even including the PSU game, he shot 23.9% over our last 16 games. Shot 31.3% from the field in conference play and only had double figures in 3 of 20 regular season conference games. Just a very meh player. 

In my opinion, it’s mainly because he had very little ability to get to the rim. Defenders were severely overplaying his jumpshot, because they knew he had little else.

Maybe he can improve on his driving skills down the road, but without them, he’s a very limited player.

10 hours ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

I think you are on the right path. IU knew they did not want him back, they were tired of dealing with his family this season, so TB decided to ask for the moon. 

8 hours ago, Alford Bailey said:

Lol now you're critiquing me? Classy move. Instead of looking at his averages, which is just plain silly, why not just acknowledge that he had several good games -- which he clearly did -- along with what I specifically said, he couldn't find consistency, which, you know, will result in low average scoring. But hey, you be the judge. And while you can't acknowledge it, I guess because you're incapable of doing so, we all saw how well JG played during the team's best run of the season, after his sit down with Woodson, while Race was out injured. He played his best starting with TJD. But yeah, he just can't play.