Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

1 minute ago, TheWatShot said:

I thought there was a pretty noticeable shift after the Nebraska game. We've just had far too many games where the coaching staff doesn't and players don't seem to know what's going on most of the time. 

The most frustrating thing is, some of our problems ARE fixable, but the people getting paid millions of dollars to coach basketball can't fix them. 

Yup and yet here we are…playing the worst lineup combinations, continued long 2s, 2 fouls and your out, clogging lanes with 2 big men, flagrant fouls, Miller Kopp stand in corner role…the list goes on. All fixable but he’s unable to do so. We will be wasting some talent on this team. 

34 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Here is the only thing I know, if we part ways with Woodson, it will be a dumpster fire and getting the right coaching candidate will be almost impossible.  I can’t believe I am actually saying this, but I think the best and only course of action is to keep CMW and let him right the ship.  He needs to right the ship by somewhat cleaning house with players and assistants, keep only the players that will play hard and represent the university and start holding his players accountable.  To me, if he can right the ship, he can go out on his own terms and it will make it more attractive for the next coach.  To me, by firing him, no good candidates would want to come here and we will be going through this thing again in 3 or 4 years.  This program needs stability and CMW needs to be more flexible and change his coaching style and recruiting tactics.  His stubbornness and ego has gotten in the way of this program’s evolution 

I’d agree with this but Woody has no clue what he’s doing. He can’t get rid of his assistants bc his Rolodex only consists of nba connections. He doesn’t know how to navigate the college scene without his assistants. This staff had to be built for him. This is a complete disaster. 

Woodson cannot be the only one held responsible. If he is, we will have the same problems. 

Is the Indiana brand evergreen? No matter how long we are bad, people will still show up? If so, things will never change. If not, then how long until the fans start to genuinely lose interest? 

22 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

If he starts hitting on some recruits it might give hope to the idea of righting the ship. Really need a big time guard or 2 to commit. He has done well in the portal but by the time the portal window opens there may be too many people questioning the program to expect his portal success to continue. 

That’s my fear.  Right this ship first then take care of next year

3 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

I’d agree with this but Woody has no clue what he’s doing. He can’t get rid of his assistants bc his Rolodex only consists of nba connections. He doesn’t know how to navigate the college scene without his assistants. This staff had to be built for him. This is a complete disaster. 

Woodson cannot be the only one held responsible. If he is, we will have the same problems. 

Is the Indiana brand evergreen? No matter how long we are bad, people will still show up? If so, things will never change. If not, then how long until the fans start to genuinely lose interest? 

Never based from my own personal experience.  I’ve been watching since the early 70’s when I was about 8 years old.  I haven’t lost interest 

18 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Never based from my own personal experience.  I’ve been watching since the early 70’s when I was about 8 years old.  I haven’t lost interest 

People your age aren't the worry.  The worry is the people who are about 30 and younger.  We have been mostly mediocre to bad their entire life.  Your loyalty is based on watching 3 national championships in your formative years and then another good run in 1992.  You then saw a bit of a drop and then another good run in 2002.  All that before you hit 40 or so.  Then the wasteland after that.  People under 30 are mostly the wasteland.  They haven't had all of that history to support the loyalty.  They have only heard of what this was but to them it is ancient history.  I am 45 and I think it is People like me who are the tail end of the people who really remember what we were.  I was in 2nd grade for our last title. 

I think there are quite a few less die hard in my age group and younger and that isn't even accounting for the bandwagon people that have no attachment to the school that we aren't winning over right now.  If things are not improved soon, the people who remember the good times are going to be outnumbered by those who mostly remember bad.  When that happens this program is starting over from scratch.  We are Iowa at that point.

11 hours ago, realTomCrean said:

@rcs29 $7M base + incentives and he could double his earnings. He’s only 53 so assume he has minimum 10 years left in his tank. Don't know if many men in history could turn down $75M+ before retirement 

I believe Texas has no income tax so he gets a bigger bang for his buck there.

I have been a fan a little less time than you. I haven't lost interest but I want to. It's not fun! Perspective my daughter just got into iu basketball the year Woodson took over. She is 12 now. She said last night she wished we were purdue fans because we just lose all the time! I told her all we can do is keep hoping it gets better and being a fan isn't about winning. No youth without a strong influence from a parent is going to be a fan of this crap when they grow up imo

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

I have been a fan a little less time than you. I haven't lost interest but I want to. It's not fun! Perspective my daughter just got into iu basketball the year Woodson took over. She is 12 now. She said last night she wished we were purdue fans because we just lose all the time! I told her all we can do is keep hoping it gets better and being a fan isn't about winning. No youth without a strong influence from a parent is going to be a fan of this crap when they grow up imo

I have seen 3 national championships in my life. I was younger of course but canyon imagine what it would be like being a young person in the last 20 plus years and being an IU fan. Hard to fathom how many fans we have lost in that time to other programs or just not watching at all. None of my sons follow IU basketball or any other sports. I watch every game and read almost every comment on this board myself because I remember the great times from the past. All the younger generations that are fans and rooting for IU to succeed are truly amazing to me how you haven't wavered. Hopefully they will get back to the top in my lifetime and then you will see what you have truly been missing because it was so special. 

The one name for coach that I haven’t seen mentioned is Chris Collins.  He seems to have done a pretty good job at a high academic school with higher entrance scores,(I think),His kids play hard and he seems to have an eye for talent. I don’t think you would see the issues we are witnessing right now in Bloomington. 

3 minutes ago, tkbbn said:

I have seen 3 national championships in my life. I was younger of course but canyon imagine what it would be like being a young person in the last 20 plus years and being an IU fan. Hard to fathom how many fans we have lost in that time to other programs or just not watching at all. None of my sons follow IU basketball or any other sports. I watch every game and read almost every comment on this board myself because I remember the great times from the past. All the younger generations that are fans and rooting for IU to succeed are truly amazing to me how you haven't wavered. Hopefully they will get back to the top in my lifetime and then you will see what you have truly been missing because it was so special. 

We’re the same generation of IU guys. Saw the 76 as a kid, the 81 in HS and 87 at IU.

But I have a slightly different take on the last 20 years. Those B1G championships and SW16 runs under Crean were flat out fun, Yogi, Cody, Vic, Hulls, Wat, and then OG, Bryant, heck Troy running baseline for the monster dunk. 
So the U moved on bc Crean couldn’t build consistently, lost the HS coaches for recruiting, brought in guys who never should’ve been anywhere near an IU uni on talent, and was a goofball on the sidelines with questionable coaching acumen— but we won conf championships and scored like crazy with multiple players who most of us see as some of the better players to play for us and who we continue to love as IU guys in the pros.

Biggest mistake the U ever made, worse than rolling the dice on Sampson and then self reporting— hiring CAM

I agree with this and thoroughly enjoyed some of Creans teams of course. He was quirky for sure but they did play an exciting brand of basketball. 
Crean rebuilt the program and had us rolling. Was fun basketball alot of times but he wasn't good enough. We unquestionably have taken a major step back though from crean. It has been a complete and utter disaster!

People your age aren't the worry.  The worry is the people who are about 30 and younger.  We have been mostly mediocre to bad their entire life.  Your loyalty is based on watching 3 national championships in your formative years and then another good run in 1992.  You then saw a bit of a drop and then another good run in 2002.  All that before you hit 40 or so.  Then the wasteland after that.  People under 30 are mostly the wasteland.  They haven't had all of that history to support the loyalty.  They have only heard of what this was but to them it is ancient history.  I am 45 and I think it is People like me who are the tail end of the people who really remember what we were.  I was in 2nd grade for our last title. 
I think there are quite a few less die hard in my age group and younger and that isn't even accounting for the bandwagon people that have no attachment to the school that we aren't winning over right now.  If things are not improved soon, the people who remember the good times are going to be outnumbered by those who mostly remember bad.  When that happens this program is starting over from scratch.  We are Iowa at that point.

Exactly. As us older guys with the memories of living through “the glory days” start dying off, all that’s left is a bunch of kids who have no reference point for what IU basketball used to be.

57 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Crean couldn’t build consistently, lost the HS coaches for recruiting, brought in guys who never should’ve been anywhere near an IU uni on talent, and was a goofball on the sidelines with questionable coaching acumen— but we won conf championships and scored like crazy

That’s what younger fans remember as the high water mark of IU basketball.  

It’s quite a step down from the 60-ish years that preceded it. But it will become the standard eventually. 

8 minutes ago, str8baller said:

That’s what younger fans remember as the high water mark of IU basketball.  

It’s quite a step down from the 60-ish years that preceded it. But it will become the standard eventually. 

So you’re a glass half full guy?

2 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I see your point.  I’m a Reds fan too but most people who are in their 30’s like the Braves, Cubs and Cards because the Reds haven’t done anything since 1990

1 hour ago, coonhounds said:

My nephew, niece and some friends are all Purdue fans and it burns me up when they said, you need to route for Purdue because we win.  I had a co-worker who was an IU fan, smiles at me every time they get beat and came in my office last week before the Purdue game and said I wouldn’t mind seeing them win it all, at least they win consistently.  I said he*l no.  

11 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

I see your point.  I’m a Reds fan too but most people who are in their 30’s like the Braves, Cubs and Cards because the Reds haven’t done anything since 1990

I’m a Reds and IU fan born in ‘94. Not ideal!

12 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

My nephew, niece and some friends are all Purdue fans and it burns me up when they said, you need to route for Purdue because we win.  I had a co-worker who was an IU fan, smiles at me every time they get beat and came in my office last week before the Purdue game and said I wouldn’t mind seeing them win it all, at least they win consistently.  I said he*l no.  

Except in the dance... losing to a 13, 14, 15 and 16 seeds recently... so there's that...