Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

fIre CoAch woodsoN ThREAD

1 hour ago, Tasmanian Devil said:

Knecht had "no intentions of visiting"? Or @Chris007 knows what he's talking about?

And don't take my word for it - let's hear it straight from the kid himself, shall we?

From the article:

"North Carolina and Kansas were in contact but playing it more deliberately, Knecht says. He took an official visit to Oregon and one to Tennessee, with a third trip to Indiana postponed by coach Mike Woodson because he had a scheduled knee surgery, according to Knecht.

The Tennessee visit was arranged quickly. Clark believed that if he got Knecht on campus and met the rest of the team, he would commit . . . Shortly after the visit, Knecht shut down his recruitment and became a Vol."

So, let's recap:

• Knecht had several schools contact him via phone calls and Zoom meetings.
  • He made a trip to Oregon, but didn't commit.
  • Mike Woodson had knee surgery April 11, 2023
  • Knecht made his trip the following weekend to Tennessee, heard their sales pitch, and shut down his recruitment.

Now, care to tell us again how @Chris007 had it all wrong? 

That dude that went after @Chris007 is a complete clown

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I'm going to push back against the "Oh no; Kenny Payne!" take:

The role matters. Kenny Payne has been an unmitigated disaster as a head coach. But when he was an assistant coach at UK, their hyper-critical fan base and their recruits thought he was flat-out awesome. 

I have no idea whether he will join Woody, but just because Payne wasn't good at one job doesn't mean he won't be excellent at a completely different job.

This right here is a perfect example of deductive reasoning. Same as Tom Allen wasn’t good as a Head Coach but has demonstrated his ability as a defensive coordinator, Payne might do well in a “GM” role for IU.

FTR: I’m not a fan of using the portal as a primary source for roster construction. IF we do go that route, you need a competent guy in the “manager” role. Based on his past success at UK, it’s not out of the question Payne  could be that guy.

15 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

The role matters. Kenny Payne has been an unmitigated disaster as a head coach. But when he was an assistant coach at UK, their hyper-critical fan base and their recruits thought he was flat-out awesome. 

I have no idea whether he will join Woody, but just because Payne wasn't good at one job doesn't mean he won't be excellent at a completely different job.

Yes let’s hope he jumps on board our titanic. 

1 minute ago, Tasmanian Devil said:

Media stories?

Pat Forde - a much heralded, respected sports journalist - quoted the kid directly. So is Forde making the story up? Is the kid lying?

i’m not “picking and choosing what to say”, I’m just showing what has actually been said by those involved.

He can't be reasoned with. You're waisting your time 

6 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

Sure - so we are going with media stories now 

Chris knows. Woody’s surgery had nothing to do with it. But here we are. Picking and choosing what to cay.  

Oh stop yourself.  

4 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

Sure - so we are going with media stories now 

Chris knows. Woody’s surgery had nothing to do with it. But here we are. Picking and choosing what to cay.  

I have no dog in this fight, but seriously..."forget what the reporter who talked to the kid and reported what the kid told him, listen to me."

Woodson's surgery had everything to do with us not getting the visit.  You can argue it didn't have anything to do with us landing Knecht because Tennessee just blew him away on the visit, but you are really operating in a murky area if that is your argument.  I am not buying the starter thing with Knecht, that is something you sus out through an agent before you commit to a visit.

9 minutes ago, Tasmanian Devil said:

Media stories?

Pat Forde - a much heralded, respected sports journalist - quoted the kid directly. So is Forde making the story up? Is the kid lying?

I’m not “picking and choosing what to say”, I’m just showing what has actually been said by those involved.

Sure- We are going with what the actual person was quoted as actually saying now?

What if doesn't fit my narrative?

Next thing you are going to tell me is "scientist" say the earth is round.

19 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I like this thought process. 

6 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I have no dog in this fight, but seriously..."forget what the reporter who talked to the kid and reported what the kid told him, listen to me."

Woodson's surgery had everything to do with us not getting the visit.  You can argue it didn't have anything to do with us landing Knecht because Tennessee just blew him away on the visit, but you are really operating in a murky area if that is your argument.  I am not buying the starter thing with Knecht, that is something you sus out through an agent before you commit to a visit.

Regarding the starter argument: read in the article where Knecht himself said he just wanted to compete for a starting spot. So isn’t it fair to assume that if he was willing to compete at Tennessee - where there was more of a log jam at his position - he would have been just as willing to compete at Indiana? Only makes sense to me.

2 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

Defend harder man. Chris himself didn’t even say that prior and now that is the reason. It wasn’t. But believe what you want.

I have said my peace in this thread. Why do I have an issue with Chris? He changed what info he shares and where he is getting it from to match his feelings. He wants it burned down. Told the players all to leave. Implied Trey and Leal took bribes to change their feelings on Woody. 

You don’t want Woody. That is fine. There is no need to try and make him fail because you believe you know what is best for the program.

No one is trying to make him fail. He’s doing it on his own. 

1 minute ago, Ngw7183 said:

Defend harder man. Chris himself didn’t even say that prior and now that is the reason. It wasn’t. But believe what you want.

Deflect all you want.

The KID HIMSELF said the visit was postponed because of Woodson’s surgery. You say “it wasn’t” - but provide nothing of context to support that statement.

Hmmm . . . believe you, or believe a direct quote from the kid? Pretty easy choice.

Just a reminder fellas, we are still waiting for:
a) the list of “lots” of programs that have been successful after 5+ transfers in a year
b) the source for Galloway is good with coming off the bench.  

1) there isn’t a list from what I’ve seen with good teams. All the lists I’ve seen have been underperforming teams that rely on the portal.

2) Eric from Peegs (yes that guy) stated before the season and even just a few days ago, that Trey just wants IU to win. If that means a lesser role or bench role, he’s okay with that.

Not defending anyone here, just saying what I’ve seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

48 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I get it. Maybe he could fit, and it would pay off.

I would be a terrible leader for my team at work, but I'm damn good in my role now. Sometimes people aren't cut out for certain positions. And there's nothing wrong with that.  

However, Bob Knight used to say "Don't let mediocrity infiltrate your program."

Kenny Payne would be mediocrity infiltrating our program. Adding him to a staff that already includes Woodson and Armond Hill means it's digging in and setting up a permanent home.