Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

1 minute ago, JSHoosier said:

Especially with no foundation and 0 commitments.

Woodson just wasn't serious last year. NGW told us that he's changed and is taking it seriously now. We'll for sure have by far the best transfer class, it'll be so good that it likely fill the B1G 1st team selection next year. Since Woodson is a great coach and with the extra NIL money, how can that not be the case?

8 minutes ago, hper50 said:

Good points made. I assume Bjork & O$U will make Dusty untouchable (especially by us) if they're going to bring him in. Given they should have some good options

Honestly he should take the OSU job if offered.  Who would want to coach under this moronic administration?

7 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Ok, that's one. Utah State is apparently another.   Still have a few to get to "lots."   

One thing to note with the Carolina success: much like recruiting one and done five star freshmen, Carolina had some building blocks already in place with Armando Bacot, and RJ Davis - much like Kentucky had with Darius Miller when they win in 2012, or Duke with Quin Cook when they won in 2015.

Whether you’re planning on building your roster with one and done’s or through the portal, you need established players already in place to make either process work to develop a championship level team. 

5 minutes ago, SamIam said:

Given the senior day speeches, I don't know if it is a given that Trey Leal MM and MR would be back if they fired Woody. 

I think the more interesting question is how well does Dusty do next year? If he takes the OSU job and we do end up firing Woodson, he probably has to turn OSU around in 1 year to be considered by admin.  Will his buyout one year into his tenure be prohibitively large? It will be interesting to see this all play out, but imagine a future where we fire Woody next year and again pass on Dusty because he didn't compete year one year in the P5. 

If we let OSU hire Dusty and he immediately wins, that train will have left the station unless Dusty REALLY REALLY wants to coach IU. We are at watershed moment in some ways, and we should have a pretty good idea what next year looks like when the portal closes. The needs are obvious and clear, we either somehow meet them and hope for average to above average results, or we don’t and next year could really set us back. My canary in a coal mine is center. If we land a starter level center, then there is no way we modernize. It will be more of the same. If we land a rim protector for the bench, maybe we try to change. While MR has developed, he can’t be trusted at the 5, he will foul out every other game. Our roster is a catch-22 right now. 

Ok, so let's cut to the chase here...

Is there anything going on in the background (the right kinds of conversations about moving on from Woodson, Dolson working some magic, end of season assessment, etc.), or is the decision for Woodson to stay actually real and final?

Anyone?

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

I have my own wife calling me a fair-weather fan also. She thinks he's an awful coach but wants him to get a 4th year since he's a nice old man. I've pulled all of my hair out already.  Go Hoosiers

Wives - can’t live with em, can’t live without em.

Just now, Bankshot said:

Is there anything going on in the background (the right kinds of conversations about moving on from Woodson, Dolson working some magic, end of season assessment, etc.), or is the decision for Woodson to stay actually real and final?

Anyone?

I admire your resilience and revolutionary spirit. 

Alas, it seems Quinn and co. have won the battle and the war this time around... 

"Maybe next year" - an all too familiar refrain for IU fans...

1 minute ago, Bankshot said:

Anyone?

I have not heard one single thing from anyone I know from the department side, the staff side, the booster side, or the former players side since the source came out that he was getting another year. 

Maybe they have found out that I can't be trusted but it has been eerily quiet on my end. 

15 minutes ago, SamIam said:

Given the senior day speeches, I don't know if it is a given that Trey Leal MM and MR would be back if they fired Woody. 

I think the more interesting question is how well does Dusty do next year? If he takes the OSU job and we do end up firing Woodson, he probably has to turn OSU around in 1 year to be considered by admin.  Will his buyout one year into his tenure be prohibitively large? It will be interesting to see this all play out, but imagine a future where we fire Woody next year and again pass on Dusty because he didn't compete year one year in the P5. 

I wouldn't be shocked if OSU put a clause in his contract that if he left for Indiana, the buyout would be extremely  large. I think I read that Teri Moren has something like that in her contract to keep her from going to Purdue.

2 minutes ago, Bankshot said:

Anyone?

Unless there's an official announcement that he's fired or retiring, you're probably best off assuming he'll be back. Less disappointment that way when he is back.

1 minute ago, Home Jersey said:

I admire your resilience and revolutionary spirit. 

Alas, it seems Quinn and co. have won the battle and the war this time around... 

"Maybe next year" - an all too familiar refrain for IU fans...

We're turning into the Chicago Cubs of my childhood. I've been a Cub fan all of my life and that was always the motto until 2016 (thank you baby Jesus).

11 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Ok, that's one. Utah State is apparently another.   Still have a few to get to "lots."   

The other is Kansas. I tried showing him actual facts and he just ignored every post. Even examples like Utah State are disingenuous to what he was arguing and cherry picked to fit a narrative. Yes, they took in 6 transfers. But that wasn’t because it is their technique, they lost 8 to the portal. It wasn’t a choice it was a necessity due to having a new coach. The other examples are the same (KSU, TT). Really TT is the only example that fits the argument as they hit it hard again post-beard and have been marginally successful.

Just now, kottke said:

We're turning into the Chicago Cubs of my childhood. I've been a Cub fan all of my life and that was always the motto until 2016 (thank you baby Jesus).

Not this time. This year it's, "Maybe the year after next."

9 minutes ago, maharkn said:

How long until they announce Kenny Payne is joining this loser staff

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Chief of Staff - Kenny Payne. 

So Woodson will have his best friends next to him. Payne and Hill. Seriously though, Payne will likely head back to the Knicks. Hopefully he can convince Woodson that college basketball is terrible and he should join him in going back to NY. 

1 minute ago, kottke said:

Don’t insult us IU fans!  Never compare us to Cub fans, maybe Reds fans but never Cub fans, lmao!

1 minute ago, Chris007 said:

I have not heard one single thing from anyone I know from the department side, the staff side, the booster side, or the former players side since the source came out that he was getting another year. 

Maybe they have found out that I can't be trusted but it has been eerily quiet on my end. 

Thanks. Keep us posted I guess.

I'm assuming he's back but also am thinking (unless I missed something) that nothing "official" has been said still by the AD or department yet. And there were previous rumblings of meetings or end of year discussions/evaluations.