Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson + Assessment of Former Posters

13 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

What Purdue or anyone else is doing does not even factor into my wanting Woodson gone. I want IU to be consistently be a top 25 team that makes the tournament (NCAA, not the B1G) pretty much every year with a decent seed, with occasional great teams that have a legitimate  chance at a NC.

Woodson is definitely not the coach who can do that.

I understand that it may not be why many/most want to move on from Woody; I wish we’d gone after Dusty May while we could have.

I do think it’s why so many are so frantically frustrated and pissed off this particular year.

20 hours ago, Bankshot said:

So, since the coach that should have been fired has not been, we're now focusing on drinking?  I can understand it.

I mostly go for mocktails.  Not because of moral reasons but because alcohol reminds me of cough syrup.  I was a very sick child growing up. 

39 minutes ago, Hoosier DaDa said:

My displeasure has nothing to do with Purdue. I’m pissed because IU is staying the course with Woody. 

Exactly.

Yet another March has gone by where IU has been a complete nonfactor.

Our answer to that has been to stay the course with a guy who should never have been hired in the first place.

1 hour ago, go iu bb said:

What Purdue or anyone else is doing does not even factor into my wanting Woodson gone. I want IU to be consistently be a top 25 team that makes the tournament (NCAA, not the B1G) pretty much every year with a decent seed, with occasional great teams that have a legitimate  chance at a NC.

Woodson is definitely not the coach who can do that.

I hope this isn't just a "coping mechanism", but I want IU basketball to be fun to watch again.  A good, high activity system for offense and defense is what I want - no more of this crap where our "shooters" run down to their designated spots and wait before moving (if they do at all).  No more slow help letting opponents go on runs from behind the arc - I see little effective difference between Archie/Woody in this regard.

1 hour ago, Dave from Dayton said:

"No one was anywhere near this upset until...this year"  Yeah?  NO!!

Realizing that the above referenced post is talking about mainly this year as opposed to recent years...

Yes to almost all of these.  I would add how dejected I was when the news came out that Alan Henderson had injured his knee. Despite 2002, that was our last powerhouse team (IMO)

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

I understand that it may not be why many/most want to move on from Woody; I wish we’d gone after Dusty May while we could have.

I do think it’s why so many are so frantically frustrated and pissed off this particular year.

I will go ahead and admit Purdue basically owning the B1G certainly makes it feel more urgent to me to right this ship with the coach of the future, but I have been pretty critical of him for a while, it just didn't reach fileable for me until recruiting fell off and I watched us get mollywhopped by Auburn in person. The cracks were pretty visible last year despite the high points. 

That said, I think you can certainly draw a comparison to Purdue losing to FDU last year. That absolutely took the sting off wasting TJD and getting nuked by Miami, at least for me. In a normal vacuum say PU loses in SS or EE or makes a FF and we get smoked in the second round? The heat would have been much more turned up in last offseason, IMHO. 

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

For me it wasn’t/isn’t about Purdue either. It’s about this year clearly demonstrating that Woodson isn’t the answer.

His first two seasons I didn’t love what I was seeing all the time, but still, it was at least what appeared to be a mild upgrade from Archie. This season made me realize that here we are yet AGAIN, and that we just can’t seem to get the correct hire…AGAIN. Then the fact that administration doubled down just made/makes it that much worse.

3 hours ago, bigrod said:

At a certain point, for me as a long-time fan, you have to start asking yourself about the definition of insanity and why you want to continue insanely rooting for the team where the people in charge are fat, dumb, and happy enough to continue with the current mediocrity, as long as people are filling Assembly Hall.

If you are part of the "team" in charge of this s**tshow, in my opinion, it is a total dereliction of duty to roll with a coach who obviously has no plan at all. Think about it, the vast majority of his recruiting success has been 11th hour recruits that have more or less fallen in his lap. Now he plans to fill half the roster with portal players who are looking for a payday.

Listen to successful college coaches talk about how to build a program: Recruit good players who are going to stick around for a while, develop and coach them up so that other talented players want to come to your program, and then use the portal to fill in specific needs. Does that sound at all familiar if you're an IU fan? No, not at all.

For me, the more I see how successful programs are run, the less I want to put any resources into witnessing what my once beloved program has turned into. Unfortunately, I don't see the powers that be doing anything until the apathy translates into lack of attendance/$$.

We have a coach who has a style that is so unappealing, we have to try to (over)pay portal players for one or two years. For some reason, no good players want to play in a style where the coach doesn't think his job is to get them shots. Wild!

If anyone thinks Woodson has any desire to change, you are obviously not paying attention. I would have much more ability to stomach his mediocrity if he had any kind of awareness at all. After spending last summer talking about how he wanted to win now and hang another banner, he had what anyone listening would assume to be a disappointing season, by his own standards. But instead of coming out and saying the season didn't go as planned and he had to be better, he chose to double down and let everyone know that he is doing a great job and there is nothing wrong with what he is doing. He did after all, supposedly develop one player.

Since no change has been made, one would assume he has the full support of the athletic department and administration. Or, our administration is compromised, broken, incompetent, inadequate, or possibly a combination of all of these. Either way, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Well, I think I'm done expecting different results from this once proud program. As long as the status quo is the status quo, I don't think I'll be a part of the next 1000 pages of this thread.

L-O-L

23 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

It’s a dead period right now. He’s also at a national coaching convention held during every F4 along with over 1,000 other college basketball coaches who are also probably golfing.

Grow up. This is a nothing burger.

He sucks 

55 minutes ago, kottke said:

For me it wasn’t/isn’t about Purdue either. It’s about this year clearly demonstrating that Woodson isn’t the answer.

His first two seasons I didn’t love what I was seeing all the time, but still, it was at least what appeared to be a mild upgrade from Archie. This season made me realize that here we are yet AGAIN, and that we just can’t seem to get the correct hire…AGAIN. Then the fact that administration doubled down just made/makes it that much worse.

It is a little about Turdue and the fact that they have a program the is sustainable and they build with players who want to go there and stay and then they use the portal the right way by getting one or two players to fill a gap/need.  We haven’t had that in over 20 years and that’s because the administration won’t allow it.  As long as we keep going to games. And filling the seats, they will stay status quo

3 hours ago, Dave from Dayton said:

"No one was anywhere near this upset until...this year"  Yeah?  NO!!

Realizing that the above referenced post is talking about mainly this year as opposed to recent years...

I was upset when Scott May was injured and...

I was upset way back when Cleveland State upset IU in the NCAAT and they were posited as cheaters.

I was upset when TV Teddy...

I was upset when RMK lost more than normal way back in the '90's.

I was upset when Landon Turner got seriously injured.

I was upset when RMK held out his starters because they weren't trying and then I realized that he was right.

I was upset when I could not get Channel 4 up in Wisconsin and later when living in Dayton with a family I could not watch IU's team, especially with Calbert Cheaney lighting it up.

I was upset when RMK took Connie Chung's bait and got trashed in the media for saying: "Just lay back and enjoy it."  

I was upset when RMK could not control himself and fell on his own sword and the IU administration put him on double-not-secret probation.   IU men's basketball got thrown under the bus by all concerned.

I was upset when the players picked Mike Davis as HC.  Nice guy.  Not qualified.

I was upset when Oden and Conley went to OSU.

I was upset when 'He Who Should Not Be Named' came on board.  Because he was on probation.  And to top it off, IU did not monitor his phone calls and compliance early and often.  The IU went and threw themselves under the bus again.

I was not upset by Dan D. (And everyone knows that he triggers us intentionally just to get clicks.) I was upset that the administration let those players get out of control.  IU really went under the bus...

By this time, IU was punked with respect to getting good, experienced, winning head coaches.  IU never would cough up enough and plan and execute the plan to have a winning program at IU.  And I was upset.

I researched Tom Crean at Marquette and was upset when IU offered him.  He could sell a car when none was needed.  And he was probably on his way out at Marquette because of hype and flakiness with a couple of recruits.

I was upset when Tc was on the outs with Indiana HS coaches and offered anyone who was in the top 400*s.

I was upset when both my brothers went to Purdue.  My father was a registered professional engineer...from Pitt.

I visited Purdue and stayed overnight in Cary Quad...it felt like a week.  Barf and gag...very upsetting place.

I was upset when the NCAA did not control cheating.  Then I realized that the NCAA is run by the universities that cheat. And then I looked around in the big world and said...time to stop being upset by what I cannot control.  My focus changed.  And it has nothing to do with mediocracy. It has everything to do with ultimate power corrupts ultimately.   It is the difference in philosophies between Nietzsche and Sartre.

While I am very interested IU men's basketball team and program...I am more focused on what I can do to affect my perspective or attitude on things. 

I guess that I am not upset by Purdue's current success.  If they win the National Championship, I will not be upset.  They will...ahem...choke...deserve it. Doesn't mean that I am cheering for them.  In fact, I just want an interesting game.  I want to see good defense in the middle against Purdue's Lurch and against the shooters.  Regardless...POTFB.

I am through being upset by IU botching, punking, and ruining the men's basketball program.  It is someone else's turn to be upset by all of this.  

I still support Coach Woodson as long as he is coach.  (Even though I doubt seriously that he will get in place a program and team that will compete favorably with the best.  And I believe that he may have been the wrong thing at IU for HC.)  Furthermore, there are apparently better coaches available so why not jump?  I just do not see him leaving within a year.  And that in itself is very controversial.  (As an aside, there isn't a single coach or any administration that, from my place in the 40th row or the couch, has done everything perfectly.)

Tilting against windmills is a fool's quest.

If one gets upset by actions of another, then one is letting that other person into control.  

That sounds a lot like my Dale Carnegie training 

4 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Interesting that no one was anywhere near this upset until Purdue started kicking the whole nation @$$ this year.

Is it Indiana’s meh season, or is it Zach Edey, the two-time national player of the year causing our rival to catch lightning in a bottle?

For me, its the culmination of all of it, and the fact that the people in charge choose to sit on their hands and close their eyes and act like everything is going to plan. There is no plan, that's probably the most disappointing part. 

4 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

For me it was that we had the chance (or I think we had the chance) to get Bruce Pearl.  He would have made an exciting program fast because kids like him.  But no, we’re still stuck with sleepy woody with that stupid expression on his face, mouth hanging open when things are going down the $hitter!  Just another hire with little thought.  What kind of BS was that “we are going to do a national search” for our new coach.  Low and behold it’s Woody!  Just bull$hit!

1 hour ago, AH1971 said:

It’s a dead period right now. He’s also at a national coaching convention held during every F4 along with over 1,000 other college basketball coaches who are also probably golfing.

Grow up. This is a nothing burger.

I laughed.  Mike Woodson doing Mike Woodson things.  I hope he truly enjoys the trappings of the program while he runs it into the ground.  And maybe someone should get ahold of his stupid @$$ and let him know ow what the optics of this look like with the **** he has rolled out there and our rival in the championship game.  But nah, enjoy that victory cigar for a job well done Mike.

11 minutes ago, Napleshoosier said:

For me it was that we had the chance (or I think we had the chance) to get Bruce Pearl.  He would have made an exciting program fast because kids like him.  But no, we’re still stuck with sleepy woody with that stupid expression on his face, mouth hanging open when things are going down the $hitter!  Just another hire with little thought.  What kind of BS was that “we are going to do a national search” for our new coach.  Low and behold it’s Woody!  Just bull$hit!

Well Dolson did have to go all the way to NY to tell Woodson he was being handed a job he was unqualified for because he played here over 40 years ago.

I been away for a couple days.  I would prefer to not go back and read a ton of pages.  Can someone give me the condensed version of why there is the added line of "assessment of former posters"?  And maybe what page number this took place on?

9 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I laughed.  Mike Woodson doing Mike Woodson things.  I hope he truly enjoys the trappings of the program while he runs it into the ground.  And maybe someone should get ahold of his stupid @$$ and let him know ow what the optics of this look like with the **** he has rolled out there and our rival in the championship game.  But nah, enjoy that victory cigar for a job well done Mike.

Laughed at what? Playing golf on a Sunday morning at the F4 during a recruiting dead period at a national coaching convention that he was possibly contractually obligated to attend?

If that’s humor, I suggest you get out more and live a little.

17 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Laughed at what? Playing golf on a Sunday morning at the F4 during a recruiting dead period at a national coaching convention that he was probably contractually obligated to attend?

If that’s humor, I suggest you get out more and live a little.

He is a joke, so I laughed.