Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUFootballEndlessMisery

They Fired Walt Bell

Kind of curious phrasing. Not sure it’s actually indicative of anything because that should be an HC conversation. But it always felt to me like Bell wanted Sorsby and CTA made the call for Jackson. And I’m probably in the minority here, but every time I watch those guys, my strictly fan-level eval is that Sorsby’s just flat better. Better feet. Quicker release. More accurate in short areas. More decisive. 

17 minutes ago, Demo said:

Kind of curious phrasing. Not sure it’s actually indicative of anything because that should be an HC conversation. But it always felt to me like Bell wanted Sorsby and CTA made the call for Jackson. And I’m probably in the minority here, but every time I watch those guys, my strictly fan-level eval is that Sorsby’s just flat better. Better feet. Quicker release. More accurate in short areas. More decisive. 

I don’t think those two saw eye to eye at any point about anything since he was hired. They contradicted each other in press conferences all the time and it got really bad this year. 

Rooted for him and hoped for the best as I always do, but it was just a weird hire. 

4 hours ago, Hovadipo said:

I don’t think those two saw eye to eye at any point about anything since he was hired. They contradicted each other in press conferences all the time and it got really bad this year. 

Rooted for him and hoped for the best as I always do, but it was just a weird hire. 

When I hire a former head supervisor for a subordinate role, I’m always extremely cautious.

It takes a certain personality to have been the #1 boss and revert to being a total team player when you don’t always agree with the boss’s decisions.

It helps when the boss gets and gives complete input and discusses the ‘why’ behind the decisions, but even with that some subordinates/former bosses can’t accept the new role.

59 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

When I hire a former head supervisor for a subordinate role, I’m always extremely cautious.

It takes a certain personality to have been the #1 boss and revert to being a total team player when you don’t always agree with the boss’s decisions.

It helps when the boss gets complete input and discusses the ‘why’ behind the decisions, but even with that some subordinates/former bosses can’t accept the new role.

This. So much.   a peer was hired a few years ago who had been in an elevated role at a previous company. Guy is still with us but he’s condescending and secretive.  Constantly makes mistakes and never takes accountability.  He probably was a crappy boss and his old job but who knows. He’s grade A terrible at my job. If he ever gets promoted i will be looking elsewhere 

36 minutes ago, DireBump said:

Talked to a player on the team last year and he said Tuttle out performed Bazelak in preseason and had the support of the team; however, Bazelak was promised the starting job as a way to get him to transfer to IU. Tuttle found out and went off on the coaches, which is why he put his name in the transfer portal so early in the year. Even with his name in the portal he stayed around the team and even played because he cared a lot for the team, but his relationship with the coaches after the whole situation was unrepairable. 

I spoke to this player again after week 1 this year and he said Sorsby is better than Jackson (outperformed him in practice), but Jackson will probably be the starter because he was a highly rated recruit and is from Indiana. Said Sorsby has more connection with the players and is more involved with the team as a leader.

Sad to see the same situation playing out two years in a row. 

Appreciate your post and welcome to btb.  

50 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

So Allen has now fired two OC's that he hired, plus an offensive line coach, any others I'm forgetting? If a coach has to fire this many assistants he hired, then the assistants aren't the problem. 

He “retired” Debord. 

2 hours ago, DireBump said:

Talked to a player on the team last year and he said Tuttle out performed Bazelak in preseason and had the support of the team; however, Bazelak was promised the starting job as a way to get him to transfer to IU. Tuttle found out and went off on the coaches, which is why he put his name in the transfer portal so early in the year. Even with his name in the portal he stayed around the team and even played because he cared a lot for the team, but his relationship with the coaches after the whole situation was unrepairable. 

I spoke to this player again after week 1 this year and he said Sorsby is better than Jackson (outperformed him in practice), but Jackson will probably be the starter because he was a highly rated recruit and is from Indiana. Said Sorsby has more connection with the players and is more involved with the team as a leader.

Sad to see the same situation playing out two years in a row. 

Not surprised at all if true. My personal opinion is Sorsby is better but the job was promised to Jackson.

4 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

This. So much.   a peer was hired a few years ago who had been in an elevated role at a previous company. Guy is still with us but he’s condescending and secretive.  Constantly makes mistakes and never takes accountability.  He probably was a crappy boss and his old job but who knows. He’s grade A terrible at my job. If he ever gets promoted i will be looking elsewhere 

Oddly enough, and depending where you work, some people get promoted because they suck at their jobs and they don't want that person doing that job. Why not fire that person? Couldn't tell ya.

2 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Oddly enough, and depending where you work, some people get promoted because they suck at their jobs and they don't want that person doing that job. Why not fire that person? Couldn't tell ya.

Its the peter principle and IU is running the football program on corporate semantics instead of results over woke. It's normal for a liberal arts institution, without a single, "WIN!" leader. CTA and the admin that the LEO stuff totally in a guaranteed equality emotional stance, instead of requiring success driven true equality.   

2 hours ago, Joe_hoopsier said:

Its the peter principle and IU is running the football program on corporate semantics instead of results over woke. It's normal for a liberal arts institution, without a single, "WIN!" leader. CTA and the admin that the LEO stuff totally in a guaranteed equality emotional stance, instead of requiring success driven true equality.   

It's financially infeasible to fire Allen right now because his agent took Dolson behind the woodshed and now we're stuck with a huge buyout.  Sure though, just throw out culture war buzzwords.

8 hours ago, Joe_hoopsier said:

Dude, I'm "woke" AF, and I was one of the first dudes who grabbed a torch and pitchfork at the hiring of Tom Allen back at the beginning.  When you never had success, I'd rather have an ******* who delivers results than a nice guy shouting buzzwords (especially one who, based on what I've seen in conjecture, probably isn't as nice as he seems) because Bill Lynch drove me to the brink of insanity.