Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB at Xavier - Friday, 11/18/22 @ 6:00 on FS1

Xavier (3-0) has beaten Morgan State (96-73), Montana (86-64) and Fairfield (78-65).  They played Fairfield without Colby Jones, an All Big East Pre-Season First Team selection, who was out with a sprained ankle and his status for our game is unknown.  Jones had 15p; 6r; 9a vs. Morgan State and 12p; 2r; 5a vs. Montana.  

Live Stats

Early thoughts, I think this is going to be a close fight in the first half, and that our second unit is going to come in and open things up. Still thinking about the final score (for the prediction thread), and I can see Xavier winning the game at home, but I think our guys are now pretty well gelled and finally have discovered the arc and a significantly improved offense. I think we'll pull it out in the 2nd half.

This game reminds me of the NC STATE game from the WATSHOT year.  Tough to win on the road against a solid team.  NC STATE had CJ Leslie and he was legit!  That game made me a believer.  I'm already a believer of this year's team but it's a similar situation.  Also we hosted an incredible Kentucky team at home obviously and this year we get UNC who isn't as good but also similar.  But then we have to deal with Kansas and Arizona too.

Therefore, we need to win this one!

5 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

This game reminds me of the NC STATE game from the WATSHOT year.  Tough to win on the road against a solid team.  NC STATE had CJ Leslie and he was legit!  That game made me a believer.  I'm already a believer of this year's team but it's a similar situation.  Also we hosted an incredible Kentucky team at home obviously and this year we get UNC who isn't as good but also similar.  But then we have to deal with Kansas and Arizona too.

I wish someone had that full game recorded somewhere. Was such an awesome game. They had Leslie but also Lorenzo Brown, Richard Howell and Scott Wood(from Marian)... That NC State team wasnt great, but went to the Sweet 16 that year like we did. Rabbit hole a little, they were supposed to take off the year after, sort of like us and Louisville did but didn't quite happen. They had Leslie, Wood, Brown and Howell back along with freshmen Rodney Pervis and TJ Warren... We actually would have played them had they beaten Temple. 

6 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I'm curious how long it will take for the "Sean's brother used to coach at IU" conversation to start, and how many veiled shots will be fired at our fanbase for being too tough on him. 

Sean might be having a harder time with it than Archie -- at least on the surface. Archie was complimentary of Woody and IU in a podcast last year -- I think it was the first time he had publicly spoken since the firing. While Sean picked us to lose to Wyoming. 

Then again, if memory serves -- during his Rhode Island presser, Archie spoke glowingly of Dayton, but wouldn't mention us by name. I think when he referred to us he said, "at my last stop ..." 

38 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

It strikes me as kind of similar too except here we're coming in ranked 12/13 and Xavier is not ranked (receiving votes in both polls though). I don't really remember what the national consideration was for that IU team at the time we played NC State. I'd rather not be the favored, ranked team coming into this first road test but I do think our guys are 'ready.' The last game was against a bad team, but man we played well and a complete game on both ends, and we seem to now have good on court leadership, with a really good second unit. Let's see them step up!

3 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Idc how we win.  Lol. A win is a win, grab em when ya can.   Especially on the road.  

clearly the B1G isn’t as down as projected this year.  Our schedule is tough.  Got stack W’s. 

And in great Big Ten fashion, schedules are as unbalanced as absolutely possible. 

I will be going to the game (daughter is a Xavier grad; they’re my 2nd favorite team). I expect us to win, but I hope this group takes X seriously - they can be tough inside Cintas. We need to impose our will early.
If these guys haven't learned by now that going on the road is extremely tough no matter who the opponent I give up. We have enough veteran players Hopefully conveying that to the young kids. Also first real test if they take that lightly then we really are doomed lol. We may lose but hopefully we're 100 percent ready and prepared

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Seems to be a lot of apprehension based on a rightful lackluster recent past history. I'm back in the expect to win mode of the glory years. My reason is the experience that our leaders have and the bravado that our young guys have. We haven't had a team like this one in a long time. I expect a "refuse to lose" mentality from this team. I "expect" to see that on Friday night.

12 hours ago, J34 said:

We took our first two opponents seriously, not sure why wouldn't take a good team, on the road seriously.

In aggregate, I think that’s right. But it was really the 2nd unit who came in and opened things up with intensity, especially the last game. 

I’m nitpicking a bit here, but I thought X’s focus, especially in the first game, and Race’s effort have been a little lacking.   They’re older and it can be a little tough to get up for buy-games.  

I think they’ll be ready, but it’ll be interesting to see how this group responds to a real opponent on the road. It’ll be a step up for the frosh and we’ll see if the 2nd unit can keep up their scoring when they can’t overwhelm the other team athletically. Our second unit was dreadful on offense last year. 

36 minutes ago, str8baller said:

In aggregate, I think that’s right. But it was really the 2nd unit who came in and opened things up with intensity, especially the last game. 

I’m nitpicking a bit here, but I thought X’s focus, especially in the first game, and Race’s effort have been a little lacking.   They’re older and it can be a little tough to get up for buy-games.  

I think they’ll be ready, but it’ll be interesting to see how this group responds to a real opponent on the road. It’ll be a step up for the frosh and we’ll see if the 2nd unit can keep up their scoring when they can’t overwhelm the other team athletically. Our second unit was dreadful on offense last year. 

There's a distinct difference in struggling and taking someone seriously. Agree that X and Race have not looked great, but that's the luxury of having 8-9 other guys, who can pick up the slack. With the parity in CBB, I'm sure CMW won't let us go into any game, not taking our opponent seriously.