Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2018) SG Romeo Langford - INDIANA HOOSIERS

Agreed. I don’t feel any interview he has given much if any indication where he stands. He always gives the same standard Pro’s for each school. If I were on the outside looking in and I didn’t care about IU I would laugh if he went to Kansas because he speaks the least about them, because he is asked the least about them. Honestly I have followed recruiting for close to 20 years. This is the most normal recruitment you will find. He knows he could play at Reincarnate Word and make the NBA. He is looking for one year he would be the most comfortable. Taking his time according to his plan. He has been consistent and available. I honestly don’t get it.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

"This is the most normal recruitment you will find". Do you honestly believe that? The highest rated Indiana player since Eric Gordon and Vanderbilt, yes Vanderbilt, is the perceived leader (by most recruiting gurus). Idk man.

9 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Archie will figure things out, with the guys he can get, eventually. We are seeing some signs of that now. Question remains will IU win some gray recruiting battles along the way? Until we do, our recruiting will look similar to the way it did with Crean but with our 4 stars coming from Indiana instead of the DMV.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Langford is a talented player and it would be great to see him come to Indiana but I believe you are absolutely correct. With or without Romeo, Archie is going to put together a successful team and program because he knows what he's doing. Talented players like Romeo will accelerate the process, but there are many talented players other than Romeo and Miller will get there in time. 

Archie isn't guessing, praying, and hoping. He's got a good long- term plan. 

Today is the BIG all or nothing for Vandy.  If he goes there today, and still makes one more trip to Indiana after.......i think we r sitting good in that scenario.

It appears that he would like to play with DG, which is understandable, but I hope he knows that Phinisee is a very good point guard also.

People see what they want to see. If I was someone that saw recruiting as dirty and everyone of the top kids get paid I would look at the finalist and say if a top 5 kid picks Vandy he must be getting paid. There are people that see IU and Vandy in his final 3 and will not accept the fact that this should even be a question that the best player from the state should automatically go to IU. Others like to see Romeo as a non Alpha personality and will follow an Alpha to where ever they will go to college. I choose to see a normal recruitment that has been a pleasure to follow. They have done everything they said they were going to do. Not just this year but they have followed the plan for the whole recruitment even when duke, Kentucky and Louisville were involved. Media and fans have made their own narrative of what is going on (media said a while ago that Duke was the clear front runner at the time and would be hard for any team to make up ground.......years later they don’t even make his first cut). I choose to see a situation where once Louisville took themselves out of the picture this recruitment became wide open and a chance for IU to sneak in contention since before IU wasn’t even mentioned as a team that was trying the hardest to recruit him at the time (old staff). When I see Vandy in his top 3 I choose to see one of the first teams that offered him a scholarship (before he played in Europe with Darius) and him continuing mentioned them as a school he would like to visit after his sophomore year. I choose to see Kansas as a threat in any recruitment at anytime (cheating or not you cannot count them out). I choose to see the longer this goes the better for IU it is because it gives Romeo a longer time to get to know the staff and kee building the relationship that has definitely been the shortest of any coach in this recruitment. However you see this recruitment going one thing is for sure there has been up and downs, entrainment, and some trying to keep it on topic with information. No matter where he goes I will choose to follow him and watch every game he plays next year although that’s no saying much because if I didn’t know who he was or follow his recruitment I would be watching them anyway. I’ve watched everyone of Vandy’s 16 losses so far this year. Buckle up we are coming to the home stretch of this recruitment

So you don't see recruiting as dirty? Listen to coaches that don't cheat, when the FBI probe started. Listen to these reports that say pretty much every high major program that wins is a suspect. Listen to warnings of Hall of Fame coaches being involved. Look at what Louisville, Miami, Arizona just got caught doing. And yet, we are to think think that a high number of kids are going to pass up these giveaways (that they feel they deserve) to go to a school offering just a free education.

It completely defies logic.

I can speak for myself, but when he picks Vandy I will handle it perfectly fine. College basketball recruiting is a dirty as it gets and desperate schools do what they need to get players they want. I won't blame Romeo, I'll blame the system as I have for all the other 5 stars we have missed on.

The common thread on Indiana 5 stars? Zeller, Ferrell, Blackmon? They come from independently wealthy families.

For me it's not the interview that has me commenting,

It's the general tone of the whole recruitment and the tea leaves that are being dropped along the way.

Archie will figure things out, with the guys he can get, eventually. We are seeing some signs of that now. Question remains will IU win some gray recruiting battles along the way? Until we do, our recruiting will look similar to the way it did with Crean but with our 4 stars coming from Indiana instead of the DMV.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

But what did he say during that interview to elicit a reaction? I don’t get the tea leaves good or bad but you all reacted to that interview. Which was about as Switzerland as there can be. As for the last paragraph I don’t really know what to say. It really has nothing to do with the interview that brought the reaction. It was a biased reaction that had really no basis in reality. It’s fine if everyone feels that way, but do we have to go to extremes every time an article comes out based on our personal bias that have nothing to do with recruit? This is getting excessively crazy. IMO

So you don't see recruiting as dirty? Listen to coaches that don't cheat, when the FBI probe started. Listen to these reports that say pretty much every high major program that wins is a suspect. Listen to warnings of Hall of Fame coaches being involved. Look at what Louisville, Miami, Arizona just got caught doing. And yet, we are to think think that a high number of kids are going to pass up these giveaways (that they feel they deserve) to go to a school offering just a free education.

Sure Its probably dirty as hell. I can only speak for myself I just don’t get bent out of shape over it or lose any sleep over it. Whatever happens happens. If the fbi investigation comes and goes and nothing is done then I will continue to watch and love college basketball like I have always done, if the fbi investigation come and goes and it findings rock the college basketball world I will continue to watch and love college basketball and root for Indiana St as a 3 seed in the NCAA tournament

I personally don’t see it as that. No. I look at this as they got a hometown kid who is out recruiting hard. Just because we don’t agree on that doesn’t mean we can’t discuss it. But what did the article have in it to bring this up? Was Romeo asked about being paid? Was he asked if Drew was dirty? No. He gave standard answers to standard questions and it turns into 5 or so people saying “we lost him. I knew we would.” That is crazy man. Every article. Every tweet it turns into that. It’s insane. Even if Romeo did accept cash to play at Vandy, does every tweet or article mean we should regurgitate the same things over again? That isn’t as much at you because you don’t do that. More general speaking. Goes for both sides.

But what did he say during that interview to elicit a reaction? I don’t get the tea leaves good or bad but you all reacted to that interview. Which was about as Switzerland as there can be. As for the last paragraph I don’t really know what to say. It really has nothing to do with the interview that brought the reaction. It was a biased reaction that had really basis in reality. It’s fine if everyone feels that way, but do we have to go to extremes every time an article comes out based on our personal bias that have nothing to do with recruit? This is getting excessively crazy. IMO

My post was not in response to the interview. I didn't even listen to it at first. My posts since Garland picked Vandy have been consistent and not really reactionary. I liked him coming to the NW game. That was a perk but it also fits my theory.

I'm just kind of fed up with recruiting in general and how crooked it is. I have been long before this FBI thing as you all know. The Romeo recruitment to me is just another recruitment in the saga of high profile kids and what comes from it.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app