Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I think your just too early with your dig.  I believe his visit starts tonight.

Not a dig.  Just trying to make it happen.  Last time it was a few hours after I posted.   :)

1 hour ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Apparently just starters from our previous championship teams.  Guy like Ricky Calloway.....before Knight drove him out.

Yeah, I’m guessing I won’t get an answer, since there isn’t one. I’m as down on Woodson as most could reasonably be, and I’m plenty skeptical of how these new player will work out. But the level some will go to downplay everything is just mind numbing. But, I guess there is no downside. They either get to say they were right or forget about it and enjoy better than expected results. 

34 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

What’s the reality we all need to know? I’m sure everyone would love to know this exact reality now, here in April. 

The reality is what ever is done the next few weeks with the roster still needs to equate to wins come November-March.  It’s only one leg of a three legged stool. 

2 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

The reality is what ever is done the next few weeks with the roster still needs to equate to wins come November-March.  It’s only one leg of a three legged stool. 

Correct. Doubt you’ll get any argument there. Just confirming that no dose of reality has been thrown on this thread of folks discussing new portal additions here in April. Thank you. 

1 hour ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Apparently just starters from our previous championship teams.  Guy like Ricky Calloway.....before Knight drove him out.

I sat next to Ricky Calloway's dad when IU played their annual game in Indy in December. I didn't say a word but only listened. I knew then, no matter what was going to happen the rest of the year that Ricky Calloway was gone after the season. His dad wanted him to be the #1 option on offense and that wasn't happening at IU.

2 hours ago, iu eyedoc said:

Not to be a downer, but these players while they would be nice additions, they are not program changers. None will have the impact of Ware and they are still being coached by the same group that added 2 5 star players last off season and way under produced and are, in there own words, more inside out then...well...everybody.

In all honesty, this unbridled excitement is over first or second off the bench guys at the program IU once was and strive to be.

Another way to look at it is they don’t have to be program changers by themselves. MM was a more confident player at the end of the year and MR improved a ton from his freshman year.  If both make another step forward they are more likely to be the program changers. The guys visiting this weekend improve us from X, Cupps and an out of position Gallo. 

5 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

It's not that I don't hope they get good players, it's just that I realize it's like giving Kobe beef and truffles to a line cook at Sonic that doesn't particularly like doing his job. Being realistic isn't an "MO."

Everybody assumes they are realistic.  It's kind of meaningless to say that.  Posting about who IU gets in the portal and saying they would be on the bench 'back in the day' is 100% MO because it literally has nothing to do with the current team and current college game.

42 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

I think that is obvious to 95% if not more. However frustrating many of us were we were also expecting all the core players to leave and the staff to recruit a bunch of 1 year mercenaries.  Now we see that the core came back and a lot of our targets are multi year players.  Does this translate into a top 10 team, probably not but it is also not the dumpster fire that seemed to be coming based on Rabbys state of the program tweets. 

1 minute ago, 8bucks said:

I think that is obvious to 95% if not more. However frustrating many of us were we were also expecting all the core players to leave and the staff to recruit a bunch of 1 year mercenaries.  Now we see that the core came back and a lot of our targets are multi year players.  Does this translate into a top 10 team, probably not but it is also not the dumpster fire that seemed to be coming based on Rabbys state of the program tweets. 

Yeah, I don't get it.  People didn't want IU to build with one year players through the portal but we so far they've signed Tucker and Rice and seem to have Carlyle well in hand.  Some wanted players from Indiana, we've reached out to several players and have visits from or are trying to get visits from those players.  Seems like it always goes back to 'they have to show they can win during the sesaon'.  Well, regardless of why they get that's true.  But it's sure a lot easier to do that by getting talent in.  

1 hour ago, 8bucks said:

How do you know they are multi year players.  One hopeful is on his third team.  And things are fluid.  It could very well have been a dumpster fire.  My only point is it does have to play out. We have a long long way to go. 

12 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

How do you know they are multi year players.  One hopeful is on his third team.  And things are fluid.  It could very well have been a dumpster fire.  My only point is it does have to play out. We have a long long way to go. 

Bc IU NIL is large enough that if one is a contributor they will stay instead of transferring out. 

how do you know they are not?