Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

8 minutes ago, OKHOOSIER said:

If you are close enough to the situation to know the interpersonal relationship between Buckner and Dolson (and I will take you at your word despite this being anonymous internet land), what is your general opinion or knowledge on the narrative that Buckner is protecting Woody, his friend, from getting fired regardless of how bleak next season looks? This has always been a hard one for me being that seemingly Buckner cares/should care about the program first and his friend second. Does he really believe Woody can and should get to rebuild the roster through the portal in year 4? Thanks and welcome!

Note: a roster that needs rebuilt because of how badly Woodson has handled it.

7 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

Sounds like there's some real smoke on McNeeley now.

Had some info shared with me from a Kansas fan whose kid is at KU, and what he's heard:

- If Woodson leaves, or there's a mass exodus of players, he'll definitely ask out of his LOI.

Can't say I'm surprised, but wanted to share in case anyone else has been hearing similar info.

That seems pretty obvious and common. I don't see why a Kansas fan or student would really be plugged in to the thinking of McNeeley. I'm not doubting what they're saying is true, because I believe that as well, just that this is anything more than them stating their beliefs without any more info than what we have. 

Just now, KathywithaC said:

There have been some watershed events in the last 25 or so years, and one of them was the firing of Tom Crean and the way in which that occurred. The impact of that is still being felt.

How did that occur that’s still being felt? It was clearly time to move on from him. What’s being felt is hiring the wrong coach to replace him. College basketball is all about having an elite coach. It’s different than the NBA where it’s about elite players. 

3 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

And that is OK if we are wrong on Pearl. But you have to make a change. There isn't one person I have seen on here wanting him back other than our friend NWG or whatever his name was.

Not many on other sites either. 

I live in Georgia and there are quite a few IU fans where I live. Most don’t pay attention to IU fan sites or forums. When I mentioned that chatter is Woodson may be gone, most were surprised. But not one said, why would they do that? I don’t know anyone who would be upset he was fired. There are some who wouldn’t be as pissed as others if he returned. But those are also fans who have come to the conclusion that IU isn’t serious about basketball so are apathetic at this point.

He's coming back...
Here we go again. 
I think we only have 2 scholarship guys return next year if that is the case. Sparks (used his one time free transfer), Newton (no high major is going to take a risk with his injury history).
X, Leal, Walker, Ware all will be gone for sure.
Galloway, Reneau, and Mgbako will see the writing on the wall and transfer (or go pro Mack) to winning cultures/programs, with lots of suitors.
Cupps will be going back to Ohio (Cincy, Xavier, or Dayton).
Banks and Gunn will transfer dur to lack of PT (whether justified or not).
Liam will ask out of his LOI.
We will be left with a roster of Newton, Sparks, and 5 walk-ons. But sure, the outlook for next year and beyond looks fantastic with Woody at the helm. 

The thing is Newton may not even play. So one guy. Quinn says coach stays

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

As far as Liam goes I don’t worry about committed recruits as much in the NIL era. Kansas I am sure could make a good offer but this late in the cycle my guess is it wouldn’t be in the ballpark of what the LONE IU recruit is getting. I am sure he would wait to see how the hire went before making a decision. A recruit of his ilk will still have his choice of programs even late. Just my opinion. 

How did that occur that’s still being felt? It was clearly time to move on from him. What’s being felt is hiring the wrong coach to replace him. College basketball is all about having an elite coach. It’s different than the NBA where it’s about elite players. 
It was if you had a real hire lined up but the last two hires are far worse than crean. Don't fire somebody unless you got a legit hire lined up. Archie was bad and Woodson is ever worse.

2 minutes ago, KathywithaC said:

There have been some watershed events in the last 25 or so years, and one of them was the firing of Tom Crean and the way in which that occurred. The impact of that is still being felt.

Please explain how the firing of Tom Crean was a watershed event?

Was it because certain individuals were involved that forced the athletic department to take action? Was it because maybe some of those same individuals were involved in the hiring process of the next coach(Miller)?

please help us understand what you’re saying better.

25 minutes ago, btownqb said:

You can't possibly think, while being paid by Auburn as their head basketball coach, he could say "IU is my dream job"... absolutely no f'ing way he can use that verbage. No shot 

No dog in this fight, but in this article he's quoted saying those exact words, kind of...says "was" vs. "is" - 

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/basketball/my-two-cents-for-auburn-coach-bruce-pearl-indiana-was-my-dream-job

"Indiana was my dream job, it really was,'' Pearl told me. "I love everything about Indiana basketball, really loved and admired Coach Knight as a young coach myself, and it's one of the great programs in America. 

"The timing was never right, I suppose. I guess, what, I was at Tennessee and really enjoying that and I love Auburn now. So nothing ever really aligned, but it would have been a dream come true to coach Indiana. That's how much I love and respect that program.''

2 minutes ago, Tasmanian Devil said:

Please explain how the firing of Tom Crean was a watershed event?

Was it because certain individuals were involved that forced the athletic department to take action? Was it because maybe some of those same individuals were involved in the hiring process of the next coach(Miller)?

please help us understand what you’re saying better.

I'd love to know more on this as well.  I don't think Crean's firing was unjustified whatsoever but maybe the "way" it was done was poor.  Intriguing!

I've come to the conclusion that Dolson just needs to pull the trigger and let the chips fall where they may.  He doesn't need BOT approval.  It's clear he doesn't believe Woody is the guy and would've never hired him had Buckner not forced it.  And Buckner is an absolute moron and one of the worst coaches in NBA history.  Believe he was fired in year 1 of a 5 year contract.  A pretty impressive feat actually.

Just do it Scott.  The fans and alums have your back.  It's not worth it to have a job where a completely clueless BOT tries to handicap you all the way.

2 minutes ago, monskisprodigy said:

No dog in this fight, but in this article he's quotes saying those exact words - 

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/basketball/my-two-cents-for-auburn-coach-bruce-pearl-indiana-was-my-dream-job

"Indiana was my dream job, it really was,'' Pearl told me. "I love everything about Indiana basketball, really loved and admired Coach Knight as a young coach myself, and it's one of the great programs in America. 

"The timing was never right, I suppose. I guess, what, I was at Tennessee and really enjoying that and I love Auburn now. So nothing ever really aligned, but it would have been a dream come true to coach Indiana. That's how much I love and respect that program.''

what exact words? Right he used "was"... he can't say "is my dream job"

3 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

It was if you had a real hire lined up but the last two hires are far worse than crean. Don't fire somebody unless you got a legit hire lined up. Archie was bad and Woodson is ever worse.

Archie was almost universally (IU media and nationally) considered a slam dunk hire, he could have gone to a major P5 before the year we hired him. It’s too bad it didn’t work out, but that was not some off the wall swing in the dark. His record at Dayton was elite.