Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

Just now, OKHOOSIER said:

Archie was almost universally (IU media and nationally) considered a slam dunk hire, he could have gone to a major P5 before the year we hired him. It’s too bad it didn’t work out, but that was not some off the wall swing in the dark. His record at Dayton was elite. 

Well see.. I completely disagree. We should have figured out, why he didn't work out... in our hiring process. That is how good organizations are run. 

2 minutes ago, KathywithaC said:

Woody, with support from a large number of basketball alums,  wanted the job when we hired Miller. Glass blew him off, which angered those guys, including QB. That was a big error, even if he wasn’t the right guy. Some things linger for years.

hmmmm.....

There have been some watershed events in the last 25 or so years, and one of them was the firing of Tom Crean and the way in which that occurred. The impact of that is still being felt.
So I'll ask the obvious question. What is your personal opinion of what should happen. Should Woodson be retained or should IU make a coaching change?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, KathywithaC said:

Woody, with support from a large number of basketball alums,  wanted the job when we hired Miller. Glass blew him off, which angered those guys, including QB. That was a big error, even if he wasn’t the right guy. Some things linger for years.

So Glass should've hired a guy that wasn't remotely qualified, that no IU fan or alum wanted, and that no other college basketball program in the country would've even looked at?  Wow.  

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

what exact words? Right he used "was"... he can't say "is my dream job"

I made this edit to my post just before you replied, see my post. 

Thought you were arguing he had never made a comment that IU would be a dream job for him, see you are making the point that he has not been quoted saying IU "IS my dream job".

But one could argue, if it was his dream job then, it likely is still his dream job now. BP loves him some Indiana. 

Just now, btownqb said:

Well see.. I completely disagree. We should have figured out, why he didn't work out... in our hiring process. That is how good organizations are run. 

I don’t disagree, but at the time, I don’t think Archie’s personality was considered a downside. I remember it being “this guy is all basketball and doesn’t suffer the media”. If anything it was painted as a positive trait. Also, and don’t forget, at the time Bennet had UVA absolutely dominating the ACC running pack line defense. It was en vogue. But I agree with you overall. 

28 minutes ago, Ghost of Rick Majerus said:

Bottom line.....

If a change is not made, the brass in charge are not serious about IU basketball ever becoming an relevant player in the landscape of college basketball for the foreseeable future.  

That's really all that needs to be said. 

Sincerely, 

TheGhostofRickMajerus(withaT)

I cant like or agree with this enough

13 minutes ago, KathywithaC said:

There have been some watershed events in the last 25 or so years, and one of them was the firing of Tom Crean and the way in which that occurred. The impact of that is still being felt.

What do you mean the way they fired Tom Crean? Tom Crean well overstayed his welcome in my opinion. 

5 minutes ago, iubhounds2 said:

No need to answer since you are busy today. Reading this, in my understanding, "the way in which that occurred" confirms Glass and Buckner didn't agree? Buckner's power outweighed the AD's in this case? With my dad being a high school coach for 27 years I understand what goes on in the background, just not at the level of P5 schools.

Buckner needs to stay in his lane.  

That’s 100% Cathy Langham and seeing her do so much hand-waving about behind the scenes politics and people’s personal feelings is really disheartening.

out of touch. Not a serious program. 
Bring on year 4…bring on going 12-19 with a decimated roster. 

2 minutes ago, monskisprodigy said:

I made this edit to my post just before you replied, see my post. 

Thought you were arguing he had never made a comment that IU would be a dream job for him, see you arguing that he has not been quoted saying "IS my dream job"...

But one could argue, if it was his dream job then, it likely is still his dream job now. 

I'm confident it's STILL his dream job. 

But the post I was referring to was using the "was", as in past tense, saying it isn't currently. I was just mentioning no way Bruce Pearl can say verbatim "Indiana IS my dream job".. I just don't find that as a reality. 

42 minutes ago, KathywithaC said:

I agree that it was wrong for Glass to not give Woody proper respect. But what made the basketball alums think Woody was qualified? The same questions we had this time would've existed then -- just four years earlier ... 

He never had coached in college. 
He was 50 games under .500 in the NBA. 
Were he not an IU grad, no college would've had interest in his services. 
I could go on, but (thankfully for all) won't ... 

Now, I'm starting to wonder: If Woody wanted the job so bad when Archie were hired -- and many basketball alums were enamored of him -- was Glass pushed to fire Crean by QB et al for that reason: to try to bring Woody aboard? 

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I'm confident it's STILL his dream job. 

But the post I was referring to was using the "was", as in past tense, saying it isn't currently. I was just mentioning no way Bruce Pearl can say verbatim "Indiana IS my dream job".. I just don't find that as a reality. 

Agreed...he cannot come out and say that, at least not publicly. 

I think the line he walked in all of the pre-game media was as close as you can get.

3 minutes ago, DoctorP said:

That’s 100% Cathy Langham and seeing her do so much hand-waving about behind the scenes politics and people’s personal feelings is really disheartening.

out of touch.
Bring on year 4…bring on going 12-19 with a decimated roster. 

These are some of the dumbest people in the history of the world.  Absolutely unbelievable how anyone that clueless could ever get into a position of power.  They really don't understand what they are doing.  Completely clueless and out of touch.

1 minute ago, monskisprodigy said:

Agreed...he cannot come out and say that, at least not publicly. 

I think the line he walked in all of the pre-game media was as close as you can get.

Couldn't agree more. And really .... he did NOT have to bring any of that up, at all. 

I've come to the conclusion that Dolson just needs to pull the trigger and let the chips fall where they may.  He doesn't need BOT approval.  It's clear he doesn't believe Woody is the guy and would've never hired him had Buckner not forced it.  And Buckner is an absolute moron and one of the worst coaches in NBA history.  Believe he was fired in year 1 of a 5 year contract.  A pretty impressive feat actually.
Just do it Scott.  The fans and alums have your back.  It's not worth it to have a job where a completely clueless BOT tries to handicap you all the way.
It's stunning a guy with sn 13-69 nba record is calling the shots. Where can I get a gig like quinn has.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk