Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

1 minute ago, iubhounds2 said:

Can you even imagine Mike Woodson doing a Channel 4 tv show with Chuck Marlow every week? For the younger crowd I understand you think I am speaking a foreign language ... but check out YouTube then and see some classic shows between RMK and my old neighbor Chuck Marlow.

I always felt so sorry for poor Chuck. That guy took a beating. 

2 minutes ago, iubhounds2 said:

Can you even imagine Mike Woodson doing a Channel 4 tv show with Chuck Marlow every week? For the younger crowd I understand you think I am speaking a foreign language ... but check out YouTube then and see some classic shows between RMK and my old neighbor Chuck Marlow.

Was absolutely an entertaining treat. I mean, not for Chuck. But for the fans, it was high entertainment. LOL

I think the term Pre-toxic is a better description of Indiana fans. We have not had a legitimate coaching search to  hire a proven coach since RMK was fired.  The attempt at Stevens was great but with no alternatives after him it cannot be counted as a search.  You could argue Kelvin perhaps but back then he was a terrible fit for Indiana and was forced by the president.

We are impatient because the searches have been weak and the results have also been weak. Then the next guy comes in and gets a crazy contract/buyout because he needs to fix this big problem. And the problem keeps getting worse. 

We see the problem before the admin is able to easily make a change because of the bad contracts and an administration that has been hesitant to let the basketball program become too prominent again (at least Myles Brand said this). Like an old car that overheats quickly we start to get pretoxic not only because of the current situation but because of years of poor attempts to build a great program. 

Pre-toxic can turn toxic if the coach is kept too long. We have been here often over the last few years.  Outside of a miracle haul of talented portal players who will instantly gel and excel (despite dozens of examples where this has not happened with other schools) the chance to build a top 4 BT team for next year is next to impossible.

Toxic is coming next if the admin stays with Woody. Then when we do make a change, the candidate pool is less because the program is a mess, fans became toxic and we get another mediocre coach with a terrible contract. 

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

I am not gutsy enough to say it's a fait accompli that Woody will be gone; I went with "At least as good a chance of May" as Woody.

So I'll add point #3: The most I've seen is Zach Osterman stating he has been told Woody will be back and others like Rothstein reporting on what Osterman reported. soooo.... Show me the IU press release confirming this! Until that happens there is lots of wiggle room. 

I’m with Stu here, for a few reasons.

1. the Osterman reporting is clearly solid. It’s on background, which is to say he didn’t get his source on the record with name etc. But it was confirmed by everybody else.

2. is the source Dolson or a close confidant? I would guess so. But ADs often go on the record, so it’s a deliberate choice by the source, and possibly ALSO Dolson if he’s not the source, not to comment.

3. so why make that choice? Well, the most obvious to me is plausible deniability. If Dolson’s name is with a quote, and things change — a decommitment, more losing, embarrassing comportment at pressers and in recruiting, transfers out, etc. — then he has made it harder to make a change. If it’s just sourced, it’s very easy to tell whoever asks that things changed, AND that you never said he’d be back. “We’re constantly evaluating and a change is what’s best for the program.”

4. somewhat unrelatedly, the money folks matter, but if you’re gonna be better next year with a new coach and a smaller NIL war chest, I think you do it. If the money folks pony up because they think Woody just needs more cash, and they’re not ball knowers? Then next year when you fire him, they’re gonna say “we’re out” or at least diminish giving anyway. If he couldn’t win, who can? So you call their bluff and find as much other NIL $ elsewhere as you can. The coaching salary is not a big consideration, given the $1M/year buyout option.

9 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

I've been preaching for a few years now that the IU fanbase is so rabid that we need our head coach to have fireside chats like pearl did at Texas Tech and Texas. He sits down talks to Matthew McConaughey, brings on guests and gets really detailed...

Right now we have obfuscation, fans have no idea if there's a strategy in place, and simply DON'T TRUST whats happening behind the scenes.

I think a fireside chat would be impossible for Woodson because there is no strategy... But the next coach can learn from Woody's mistakes. 

"Mike Woodson isn't going to respond to that question"

"Mike Woodson doesn't feel he needs to explain that to you"

Yeah, that'd be a disaster.

10 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Folks, I am pleased to announce that our long, national nightmare is over.

I found the setting that limits reactions to posts. It only affected "senior members" and was capped at 250 per day. This has now been set to unlimited, so you can like, laugh, thank, and be confused as much as your hearts desire.

Why is it your the only MOD around here that gets things done? THANK YOU!! This made my Friday

2 minutes ago, iubhounds2 said:

I am not sure when my BtownBanners status changed, but I see I am now a "5-Star Recruit". Combine that with my high percentage of made 3's in my driveway I am expecting a visit, or a call from Woody's ASSISTANT coach for a try out camp invite this summer ... around Woody's schedule.

For the 3rd time I am publicly announcing I will not accept any invites for my 3 point shooting services. As a "5-Star Recruit" I feel at the age of 71 I can still negotiate a better NIL deal than playing for CMW. I will be 1 of 1200 portal players but there is a place for me.

Yeah but how are your entry passes?

9 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

@Trish Do we remember or maybe we didn't know but what is the plane number of Ned Pfau plane? There used to be a way to see the plane number or who owned it. @Dave from Dayton if I remember correctly works in aviation too. 

Just practicing up on my skills. Haven't heard anything yet. 

Please Chris.  I need anything to give me hope, even if it's false hope. 

59 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I don't blame him in the least for not wanting to discuss it:

1. There are no good answers.
  2. Opening the door enables a ton of follow-up questions on the subject, which sends him back to "there are no good answers."

This has been his consistent answer throughout this season on most topics that aren’t “boy Mike Woodson sure was a great player at IU!” It shouldn’t be acceptable. He’s being paid $4 million a year to be the head coach at IU. Part of the job is speaking to the media and answering tough questions. Except he thinks that’s beneath him, just like he thinks of most of the job responsibilities are beneath him. He’s Mike Woodson dang it. Mike Woodson doesn’t need to answer questions. Mike Woodson doesn’t need to recruit. He’s Mike Woodson. 

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

This has been his consistent answer throughout this season on most topics that aren’t “boy Mike Woodson sure was a great player at IU!” It shouldn’t be acceptable. He’s being paid $4 million a year to be the head coach at IU. Part of the job is speaking to the media and answering tough questions. Except he thinks that’s beneath him, just like he thinks of most of the job responsibilities are beneath him. He’s Mike Woodson dang it. Mike Woodson doesn’t need to answer questions. Mike Woodson doesn’t need to recruit. He’s Mike Woodson. 

Bad Week to be Mike Woodson

11 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

@Trish Do we remember or maybe we didn't know but what is the plane number of Ned Pfau plane? There used to be a way to see the plane number or who owned it. @Dave from Dayton if I remember correctly works in aviation too. 

Just practicing up on my skills. Haven't heard anything yet. 

Along these lines, surely all the donors are not on board with keeping him. Are deferring to Cook/Simon or equally frustrated and at risk  in pulling $

1 minute ago, 8bucks said:

Along these lines, surely all the donors are not on board with keeping him. Are deferring to Cook/Simon or equally frustrated and at risk  in pulling $

I don't think the Cook family cares anymore one way or another. They like Mike but just want to be left out of everything. Can't say the same for the Simons.