Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

firecoachwoodsonthread

50 minutes ago, JF87 said:

The first of many Too Soon to Move On From Woodson articles.  

Indiana’s Cruel Optimism - The Crimson Quarry

I would actually tend to agree with the writer except for 1 thing, and it gets a paragraph in his article: After 3 years I can’t identify Mike Woodson basketball culture. I don’t know watching his teams what he values. I know what he says he values, but it’s not discernible in their play. And I like to think I sort of know what I’m watching.  If the writer’s suggesting that it’s not reasonable to be able discern a coach’s vision and direction after 3 years, no. 

4 minutes ago, Demo said:

I would actually tend to agree with the writer except for 1 thing, and it gets a paragraph in his article: After 3 years I can’t identify Mike Woodson basketball culture. I don’t know watching his teams what he values. I know what he says he values, but it’s not discernible in their play. And I like to think I sort of know what I’m watching.  If the writer’s suggesting that it’s not reasonable to be able discern a coach’s vision and direction after 3 years, no. 

You don’t because it’s all individual play on offense and no hustle on D.  We still suck at D with a shot blocker hanging in the lane all three years.  I am sitting here watching South Carolina and they don’t have the talent we do but they run an offense with a lot of action and ball movement.  Players are moving all around the court.  They have an identity and we still don’t after three years.  

2 hours ago, AZ Hoosier said:

That probably would have solved our problem of having to fire him...

It probably would have redirected that extension $$$ Scotty readily signed him up for at the end of last year’s mid performance as well!

3 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I wasn't actually asking. Dude was as respectful as humanly possible. Comes with thr territory so Woody better get a thick skin amd start doing his job .

Woodson coached for the NY Knicks in the sports hotbed that is NYC.  Im sure he doesn’t care what a couple fans think or say at an Indiana high school game.

I will say this….., being a HS teacher, kids are very aware of, “teachers who are cool, and out going,….as well as older, boring and waiting to retire teachers”. Every school has them. If im a recruit and I see and older coach and his wife, I’m definitely not getting the same feeling as just the coach sitting there by himself or with his assistants.

3 hours ago, TadQueasy said:

Personally  I think too much is being made of his wife coming along with him.  That matters not to me.  What matters to me is the way it all appears to be going through the motions.  He seems as if he is only doing this stuff because he was told to and he gives the feeling of being lazy and entitled.  Which are two things that really surprise me considering he played for Coach Knight and was so close to him.  

I have coached at the high school level for several years and it is pretty easy to spot the coaches going through the motions.  It happens a lot at the high school level.  It should never happen at the college level.  And it pisses me off.  And while I do not condone what the man said to him in person, I completely understand it.  

Our basketball program deserves someone giving it their all, and if you are not willing to do that then go find another job.  Hell he could find a lot of places where he could teach the game of basketball and survive being lazy and go through the motions.  But it should not be at IU.  

….exactly what I have been saying. There is nothing wrong with her going with him, at all, but when it’s alway Coach and his wife, to me me…, it comes across as light duty, not so important and “I guess I better get out there, honey you want to go with me? We’ll hit Cracker Barrel on the way home, feel.” JMO

27 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Woodson coached for the NY Knicks in the sports hotbed that is NYC.  Im sure he doesn’t care what a couple fans think or say at an Indiana high school game.

No... But I guarantee he cares what his bosses say. You think it was his idea to be at the game last night?

3 hours ago, mamasa said:

Thank you! I hate seeing “he gets paid xxx so we can act like he’s not a human” posts. Do people really think Woody didn’t want to win? Doesn’t matter how much you get paid, failure hurts 

He wants to win.  He doesn’t want to prepare to win.  That’s the difference.  And being a Knight disciple he should know that.  

3 hours ago, Coach Robby said:

I want to identify as retired lol

I remember years ago sitting at the bar complaining about pain after flag football game and was told most people my age were retired from football 

52 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

No... But I guarantee he cares what his bosses say. You think it was his idea to be at the game last night?

Have no idea. All I’m saying is that Woodson could probably care less about what a couple of kids say from an Indiana high school gym. He coached in NY. There’s been far more worse things said and written about him than a couple of doofuses telling him to retire. I’m not directing anything towards you, just think nobody should care what a couple immature kids from Indiana said to Woodson. Woodson isn’t giving it a thought. He’s Mike Woodson, after all! 

2 hours ago, JF87 said:

The first of many Too Soon to Move On From Woodson articles.  

Indiana’s Cruel Optimism - The Crimson Quarry

So some of the people making these arguments don't know what they are talking about.  Case in point:

Kravitz's initial argument is that Woodson should stay.  He then spends the rest of his time providing arguments and agreeing to arguments of why he should go.  Additionally, when Coyle talks about the "great 2025 Indiana recruiting class" and Kravitz gets confused and thinks that Indiana University already has a great 2025 recruiting class lined up and has to be corrected...well, a bunch of these blowhard know less about what is going on than us morons, so their opinions are worthless to me.

ETA:  The whole building a culture argument in the article also neglects the fact that our 66 year old coach wasn't going to be here long to begin with. He was brought in to build a bridge and a culture.  He has done neither.  He is on the verge of having to bring in 50%+ of next year's team from the portal.  Convincing high school kids that he is going to be around for 4 years to build that culture is going to become increasingly harder.  This was a stupid gamble to begin with and we are in the middle of crapping out.  

4 hours ago, steubenhoosier said:

Inn… nope. It comes with a society who now believes it’s acceptable, actually encouraged to make comments on social media and forums like these without fear of repercussions. This thread is a prime example of how things just snowball and embolden people to believe it is their right to be as disrespectful as they want. Makes them say or do things they never would if they knew they could be held accountable. 

As far as questioning someone’s work ethic… I just have to laugh. This thread is now nearly 400 pages, with many comments made during working hours. I wonder how many on here who are posting regularly and/or following the conversation closely have actually “showed up to do their job.?”

This is so stupid. There are a lot of people who work at very good jobs and still read and comment here. You do know that when you become an executive, you don't have to enter your hours into a timeclock or anything. Do you know that? It's all about the bottom line and bringing value to your company. That's how you're judged at work.  

And your obsessive defense of a coach doing a horrible job is just getting embarrassing at this point...

12 minutes ago, Silat Player said:

This is so stupid. There are a lot of people who work at very good jobs and still read and comment here. You do know that when you become an executive, you don't have to enter your hours into a timeclock or anything. Do you know that? It's all about the bottom line and bringing value to your company. That's how you're judged at work.  

And your obsessive defense of a coach doing a horrible job is just getting embarrassing at this point...

Not defending Woodson at all if you had bothered to read my posts. Embarrassed by the incessant, unnecessary piling on.

Yes, since I work with HNW folks every day, I know exactly what it takes to be a successful executive. Pretty sure being on a basketball forum isn’t one of the traits that makes a person climb the corporate ladder.

4 hours ago, steubenhoosier said:

Inn… nope. It comes with a society who now believes it’s acceptable, actually encouraged to make comments on social media and forums like these without fear of repercussions. This thread is a prime example of how things just snowball and embolden people to believe it is their right to be as disrespectful as they want. Makes them say or do things they never would if they knew they could be held accountable. 

As far as questioning someone’s work ethic… I just have to laugh. This thread is now nearly 400 pages, with many comments made during working hours. I wonder how many on here who are posting regularly and/or following the conversation closely have actually “showed up to do their job.?”

Don’t be a jackass to coach and basically behave like an adult. 100% agree

Correlating work ethic to when posts are made on the internet??? You lost me there. 

2 minutes ago, HinnyHoosier said:

Looking at the situation on a basic human level (which Mike Woodson is one, mind you) you have a to be a pretty big prick to walk up to someone in public and tell them they stink at their job when he's sitting right next to his wife. Would you go up to an obese person at Olive Garden at tell them it's time to put down the fork? It doesn't matter what his job is, how he's compensated, or honestly what any one of us thinks of his job performance. You don't do that. I'm as big a fan as anyone, but let's admit it: fans as a collective are overzealous know-it-alls. The only person whose criticism officially matters is one Scott Dolson, so leave it to him.

I agree with everything, but with one caveat. I think it would be okay to let Woodson know what you think if you are in your seat at an IU game. Cheer or boo the head coach all you want.