Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUFootballEndlessMisery

They Fired Walt Bell

If we are going to have a thread for Tom Allen that is going to be undermined by his contract buyout, at least let's discuss the other elephant in the room, the offensive/quarterback coordinator Walt Bell (my phone keeps telling me to type Walt Disney, so I'll just call him Bell from here on out). 

Bell's tenure at Power 5 programs never yielded offenses in the top 50%, and in a few cases, the bottom 20% per season.  He likely was always stuck with ho-hum talent but a good coach is able to make lemonade out of lemons, and I assume the stats alone aren't telling the true story.  He had a habit of failing upwards for a period, ultimately becoming a head coach, even if it was with the worst program in FBS, UMass.  There, he went 2-23 before being fired mid-season in 2021.

And now he's our problem. 

I see this as similar to Darren Hiller, where it will only take drastic measures for Tom Allen to get rid of the guy, as he gets extremely sentimental to all his coaches and that firing people is definitely not LEO.  So we're likely stuck with the meathead. 

EDIT:  WELL... 

Edited by IUFootballEndlessMisery
I mean, they finally fired his @$$

8 minutes ago, Demo said:

Translation: Our best position group might be our receivers, but I’m afraid of my quarterback. 

A team with a run first identity that cant punch it in from the redzone, and gets stuffed on 4th and goal, over and over and over and over......

25 minutes ago, Demo said:

Translation: Our best position group might be our receivers, but I’m afraid of my quarterback. 

What makes this comment even more concerning. If that really is the identity he wants our offense to have, he needs to have his eyes checked. Not sure what he is seeing in practice or on the field, but the advanced stats say we are anything other than a run first team. 

Per Schumann's article, our rushing offense ranks 114 our of 130...109 yards per game. Offensive line ranks 121 for pass blocking grades and 104 for run blocking. Can't be a run team if your line is getting abused every Saturday. 

Open up the playbook, make changes to the line to get Jackson a little breathing room, toss the ball down the field and deal with the turnovers here and there as he grows. Allen and Bell are paid nearly $6million total a year to figure this out..

On the bright side...we have a good punter haha.

21 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Tom Allen really saw this and thought that’s my guy…

IMG_6397.thumb.png.c42e696b9447a2078d651ee35a559e8b.png

To be fair my guess is that Allen must have thought that a high number is good.
Ie he thought that Bell’s UMASS offense being 124/130 meant that 124 coaches had a worse offense than Bell. As dumb as that is it’s better than thinking he hired a guy that was 94/130, 113/130 (at FSU !) and 124/130.