Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

2 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Maybe Buckner will name himself head coach. 

After all, he led the Mavs to a 13-69 mark 30 years ago. 

No way... if he was coaching, then he'd have to watch every game... no way he could stomach this crap.

Just now, Kentuckysucks said:

I just pray that whenever we hire the next coach we simply go out and get the best coach we can get and do not let any external factors influence the hiring decision.  Don't hold your breath.

Sorry but Buckner will be making our next hire as well 

1 hour ago, LamarCheeks said:

Maybe Buckner will name himself head coach. 

After all, he led the Mavs to a 13-69 mark 30 years ago. 

That’s enough to get the job according to Scott Dolson. Have some experience and an Indiana alum is all it takes. 

Take a look, ISU vs Drake ESPN 2 6:00pm

Really Good article:  The Athletic on Josh Schertz 

Josh Schertz (didn’t even play high school ball, GED, Tennis Star, son of a rich dad who found himself not living at home…his dad was high pressure fanatic towards tennis, became a college basketball 5’6” point guard, started pursuing coaching (The Athletic has an interesting article on Schertz).on what is becoming a humanistic success story.  Schertz does have a masters degree now.

2 minutes ago, TTT said:

Take a look, ISU vs Drake ESPN 2 6:00pm

Really Good article:  The Athletic on Josh Schertz 

Josh Schertz (didn’t even play high school ball, GED, Tennis Star, son of a rich dad who found himself not living at home…his dad was high pressure fanatic towards tennis, became a college basketball 5’6” point guard, started pursuing coaching (The Athletic has an interesting article on Schertz).on what is becoming a humanistic success story.  Schertz does have a masters degree now.

He's definitely intriguing but we can't take that risk right now.

Just now, Kentuckysucks said:

He's definitely intriguing but we can't take that risk right now.

I do not want any famous already done this big time coach so they can do whatever.  I am not sure if Josh Schertz is any more of a risk than many others including those IU has already experienced.  The article is worth reading.  He seems to have a very high IQ in what he is doing.  (Indiana State when he took over was at the bottom of the Mo Valley)

Just now, TTT said:

I do not want any famous already done this big time coach so they can do whatever.  I am not sure if Josh Schertz is any more of a risk than many others including those IU has already experienced.  The article is worth reading.  He seems to have a very high IQ in what he is doing.  (Indiana State when he took over was at the bottom of the Mo Valley)

So was FAU.  They'll hire Dusty.

Brad Stevens

Chris Beard

Scott Drew

Tommy Lloyd 

Bruce Pearl (still concerned about age and others)

Dusty May (concerned about stage and scope)

Don’t want a rebuild type guy and want someone respected. Purdue is light years ahead of us and have a young coach.  

Get someone who thinks they are better than Painter. 

Edited by WayneFleekHoosier

2 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Brad Stevens

Chris Beard

Scott Drew

Bruce Pearl (still concerned about age and others)

Dusty May (concerned about stage and scope)

Don’t want a rebuild type guy and want someone respected. Purdue is light years ahead of us and have a young coach.  

Get someone who thinks they are better than Painter. 

Better yet take Painter from Purdue.  Some PU fans wanted him gone last year.  Seriously though I’d love to get someone like Pearl or Drew.  We would need a big hire to show that we are serious (if we even are anymore).  Hiring a mid major coach even if successful at their current school is something any other power 5 school can do.

1 minute ago, hoopsta007 said:

Better yet take Painter from Purdue.  Some PU fans wanted him gone last year.  Seriously though I’d love to get someone like Pearl or Drew.  We would need a big hire to show that we are serious (if we even are anymore).  Hiring a mid major coach even if successful at their current school is something any other power 5 school can do.

Most power 5 coaches don't leave to take another power 5 jobs. It is either mid major coaches or like Duke and UNC did and hire one of their assistants 

6 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

Most power 5 coaches don't leave to take another power 5 jobs. It is either mid major coaches or like Duke and UNC did and hire one of their assistants 

I bet IU could convince Alford to come here, he will our be better than Woodson and has coached at a Power 5 school.  Not saying I want him but if you are going after a mid-major coach, Alford is that guy, anyone else is unproven and we end up with another Archie Miller issue 

5 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

I think some could be persuaded if the money is there.  While not as common it isn’t unheard of for high major coaches to make a move

10 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

I bet IU could convince Alford to come here, he will our be better than Woodson and has coached at a Power 5 school.  Not saying I want him but if you are going after a mid-major coach, Alford is that guy, anyone else is unproven and we end up with another Archie Miller issue 

Gross