Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

2 hours ago, Kentuckysucks said:

Then she needs to go immediately.  Dolson should hold a press conference and tell the entire state how and why he is being handicapped.

That's the ticket... nothing says "fire me" like calling a presser to show up your bosses.

10 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

That's the ticket... nothing says "fire me" like calling a presser to show up your bosses.

IU would just replace him with someone that has absolutely no AD experience.

11 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Then just let her overrule you and give you the blame when it hits the fan.  That’s what happened with Sampson.  I would never allow my boss to do that in a million years. 

3 hours ago, Unexpectedflash said:

Beards a great coach. I doubt we even call him. I’d offer a boatload of money to Drew and Lloyd and hope one says yes. With our luck they both probs say no. I actually do really like scherz and have found myself watching all of their games since ours are so painful. I like may also but I’ve seen their team come out flat a lot this year. Musselman I think would be good here but he’s had a very bad year this year so idk.

Why would either one of them leave their current job. Drew won a championship at Baylor already and has no pressure at all. Lloyd is a West coast guy and Arizona is a better job.

2 hours ago, Kentuckysucks said:

Then she needs to go immediately.  Dolson should hold a press conference and tell the entire state how and why he is being handicapped.

I still can't believe any IU fan would want Beard as your coach. I want to win but not that bad to have a scumbag like that coaching here

1 hour ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

Alford is CAM 2.0

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

He’s a little better than CAM and Woodson but I am not saying I want him as our next coach

21 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

Why would either one of them leave their current job. Drew won a championship at Baylor already and has no pressure at all. Lloyd is a West coast guy and Arizona is a better job.

I mean I said I don't think we get them but money. Arizona is broke right now. They just lost their football coach since they wouldn't pay him. The only way you get one of these coaches from another power school is making them a top 3 coach in the country. Thats how georgetown got Ed cooley from Providence just this past offseason. I have zero faith in us to do that and I assume Dusty ends up our coach but it's what I would try and do. 

42 minutes ago, Unexpectedflash said:

I mean I said I don't think we get them but money. Arizona is broke right now. They just lost their football coach since they wouldn't pay him. The only way you get one of these coaches from another power school is making them a top 3 coach in the country. Thats how georgetown got Ed cooley from Providence just this past offseason. I have zero faith in us to do that and I assume Dusty ends up our coach but it's what I would try and do. 

The Woodson hire was all we needed to see to understand whether this administration…..

1. Is serious about winning

2. Is even capable of identifying & attracting an elite coach

We don’t need another hiring cycle to figure out what the likely scenario is. 

There’s going to be noise of some big name that will get all of our hopes up (not saying those reports of engagement are false bc I believe the rumors surrounding Stevens) then once the hire is announced it’s going to be Dusty May. We all know it. Everyone else in the college basketball world knows it too. Worst kept secret. He’s going to win the press conference and convince all of us that he’s the savior, bc we are all desperately waiting for one, and he’s at best a 50/50 burger. I’ve tried so hard to on board with May. I’ve heard all of the arguments for why he can win here and when I watch his team, nothing convinces me that he can come here and win in the B1G. This postseason will do a lot for me personally. If he makes another deep run or makes the 2nd weekend, then I’m in. 

I often think of hypotheticals, like, “what would Kansas do right now?” Or “what would Kentucky do if they were in these same exact shoes?” Would they hire Dusty May? I don’t think so. I think they would go and pluck a guy like Dan Hurley, Scott Drew, or Tommy Lloyd. They aren’t taking a chance on a guy that’s a maybe at best. ESPECIALLY after they’ve been starving for a winning coach for over 20 years. 

The argument has been beaten to death but IU doesn’t behave like a blue blood in any way shape or fashion. We are aren’t a top 3 program in our own conference anymore. If the Indiana, Purdue, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Michigan job all open at the same time, I do not believe that Indiana would be considered by the top candidate. They would have 20 years ago, but that ship has sailed. I know this will get under a few people’s skin but prove me wrong. I’m open to being convinced that I’m wrong. 

The Woodson hire was all we needed to see to understand whether this administration…..

There’s going to be noise of some big name that will get all of our hopes up (not saying those reports of engagement are false bc I believe the rumors surrounding Stevens) then once the hire is announced it’s going to be Dusty May. We all know it. Everyone else in the college basketball world knows it too. Worst kept secret. He’s going to win the press conference and convince all of us that he’s the savior, bc we are all desperately waiting for one, and he’s at best a 50/50 burger. I’ve tried so hard to on board with May. I’ve heard all of the arguments for why he can win here and when I watch his team, nothing convinces me that he can come here and win in the B1G. This postseason will do a lot for me personally. If he makes another deep run or makes the 2nd weekend, then I’m in. 

I often think of hypotheticals, like, “what would Kansas do right now?” Or “what would Kentucky do if they were in these same exact shoes?” Would they hire Dusty May? I don’t think so. I think they would go and pluck a guy like Dan Hurley, Scott Drew, or Tommy Lloyd. They aren’t taking a chance on a guy that’s a maybe at best. ESPECIALLY after they’ve been starving for a winning coach for over 20 years. 
The argument has been beaten to death but IU doesn’t behave like a blue blood in any way shape or fashion. We are aren’t a top 3 program in our own conference anymore. If the Indiana, Purdue, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Michigan job all open at the same time, I do not believe that Indiana would be considered by the top candidate. They would have 20 years ago, but that ship has sailed. I know this will get under a few people’s skin but prove me wrong. I’m open to being convinced that I’m wrong. 

I think with the 7 million per rumors we offered Steven's we could have gotten a bigger name coach. They just would not have been holier than though so iu likely never even reached out

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

I’ve watched a decent amount of FAU. I worry they have johnell Davis who is just flat out way better than anyone on the court and has won them games this year. I honestly don’t really care about postseason success. Single elimination tourneys can be flukey and if dusty lost that one point game to Memphis in the second round last year are we even having this convo. Danny Hurley never even made it past the round of 32 before he got to uconn. But like the last 3 hires I’ll be optimistic and hope it works out but I don’t think dusty is the slam dunk we need him to be. 

4 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Get Beard and keep McNeely hopefully

Or get Drew and get Edgecombe.

Lol. We need a different talent evaluator. A different system. A different everything.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Gut feeling says by start of next season we have none of the names you listed. 

17 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

I think with the 7 million per rumors we offered Steven's we could have gotten a bigger name coach. They just would not have been holier than though so iu likely never even reached out

If that was the case, Woodson’s never gets hired after Stevens negotiations fall apart. 

Hire a fing proven winner for christ sakes! We have tried the flash in the pan. We tries the cool assistant everyone liked. We tried the iu guy who never had success in nba and never coached a second of college basketball. Can't believe that didn't work! Just hire a fing coach. The last proven winner was indeed winning here. Pay up and try that. It's ridiculous imo. Woodson no more qualified then some random fan

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Interesting hearing his philosophy on how many guys he likes to play and why. Will be music to many people’s ears in here. 

the entire interview is great but his comments about his rotations starts around the 5:05 mark. 

This is a Chris Beard level guy without the baggage. Personality seems big enough to be able to win at IU. He checks every single box for me personally. 

24 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

Interesting hearing his philosophy on how many guys he likes to play and why. Will be music to many people’s ears in here. 

the entire interview is great but his comments about his rotations starts around the 5:05 mark. 

This is a Chris Beard level guy without the baggage. Personality seems big enough to be able to win at IU. He checks every single box for me personally. 

He coaches the whole game , seldom sits . Works the refs like a terrier on a rat. Somebody is going to get a good one . 

If that was the case, Woodson’s never gets hired after Stevens negotiations fall apart. 

Well a poster on here said we offered him 7 million I remember it and made it sound like a done deal. He had me sold one reason the Woodson hire was such a buzzkill.

Speaking of Indiana State:  a Josh Schertz coached team is a 3 point green light team who if it’s a miss the heck with it and creates alot of offense in drives and passing from it which leads to other ways to score and then there is going to be a dogfight on defense and rebounding.  I think big time college level players would gravitate towards that (like Duke and coach K at one time)…maybe not the one and done or even the the two and done but who needs them anyway.  You don’t need to be one or two years step type program to NBA and IU basketball should not be that.

You can see Indiana State players implement the coaching game plan on the floor.  All business and having fun doing it with discipline.  Indiana State does take care of the ball well.  The Athletic as excellent article….How Josh Schertz rose from anonymity to coaching star.