Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

10 hours ago, Hornsby said:

I think with the 7 million per rumors we offered Steven's we could have gotten a bigger name coach. They just would not have been holier than though so iu likely never even reached out

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

The problem with that, as I understand it, is a large chunk of Steven’s potential salary was going to come from a very wealthy donor.  Perhaps that donor wasn’t willing to donate for any other coach.

I feel like both sides got their wish last search.

We got Woody to please the “we need an IU guy” portion of the fanbase and former players. He stinks. 

We made Brad Stevens say no to appease the other half clamoring for that to happen. Which we all knew he would, and it ultimately led us to woody…yeesh. 

Now that both of those are out of the way let’s get the best coach we can, preferably a coach other schools want to hire ( prob too much to ask for though I know)

2 hours ago, IUc2016 said:

I feel like both sides got their wish last search.

We got Woody to please the “we need an IU guy” portion of the fanbase and former players. He stinks. 

We made Brad Stevens say no to appease the other half clamoring for that to happen. Which we all knew he would, and it ultimately led us to woody…yeesh. 

Now that both of those are out of the way let’s get the best coach we can, preferably a coach other schools want to hire ( prob too much to ask for though I know)

That's the one silver lining of the Woodson hire. Now that the "it's gotta be an IU guy" crowd are seeing in real time what a mistake that is, they'll never say it again.

2 minutes ago, GoIU8 said:

That's the one silver lining of the Woodson hire. Now that the "it's gotta be an IU guy" crowd are seeing in real time what a mistake that is, they'll never say it again.

From your lips to Buckner/Whitten/Dolson's ears.

14 hours ago, Hornsby said:

I think with the 7 million per rumors we offered Steven's we could have gotten a bigger name coach. They just would not have been holier than though so iu likely never even reached out

There was never a $7mil/yr offer to Stevens that was legitimately on the table. IU PR puff piece.

You don’t go from offering the largest contract in the history of the sport to hiring Mike Woodson as a fall back. Unfortunately a lot of people fell for it.

There was never a $7mil/yr offer to Stevens that was legitimately on the table. IU PR puff piece.
You don’t go from offering the largest contract in the history of the sport to hiring Mike Woodson as a fall back. Unfortunately a lot of people fell for it.
A poster on here claims it was

Yep they finally got what they wanted. They screamed about it for 20 years.

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I will say whoever hires Beard next, I won’t be surprised that we will be having the current “what if Sampson” conversations about whoever is winning with Beard.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

What’s the what-if scenario with Sampson? He was given a multi-year show cause and banished to the NBA.  There was no way to keep him, even if someone had been foolish enough to want to do so.  

The only what-if is if we had hired Beilien instead. 

6 hours ago, GoIU8 said:

Nah.

They'll likely continue to spout that, but just say it shoulda been Alford. 

1 minute ago, LamarCheeks said:

Nah.

They'll likely continue to spout that, but just say it shoulda been Alford. 

Alford is about the only IU guy that was qualified for this job, not that I wanted him.

The way this program has been run, they'll say it needs to be a Knight and hire Pat.

What’s the what-if scenario with Sampson? He was given a multi-year show cause and banished to the NBA.  There was no way to keep him, even if someone had been foolish enough to want to do so.  

The only what-if is if we had hired Beilien instead. 

We didn’t self-sabotage.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

41 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Alford is about the only IU guy that was qualified for this job, not that I wanted him.

The way this program has been run, they'll say it needs to be a Knight and hire Pat.

No. Just no to all of the above.

58 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

We didn’t self-sabotage.

We self-sabatoged the day he was hired. He is who he is. He came on probation and effectively that meant IU was on probation.  

Within 2 years he was caught blatantly and flagrantly doing what he was caught doing at Oklahoma. If the rumors are true an intern discovered it. It would’ve all come crashing down anyways. Maybe we could’ve covered it up for a year before some disgruntled recruit, AAU coach, employee, or ex  coach ratted us out to the NCAA. Two assistants were already thrown under the bus before the ax fell on Sampson himself. 

If the rumors were true about that team and things like the Zeller recruitment he would’ve alienated his home recruiting ground soon enough. You think you can bring kids like the Gordons, Zellers, Blackmons, etc.. on campus and the whole state won’t find out what a bunch of dips***s you’re keeping on the team? You think Yogi Farrel’s family is sending him down to that clown show?  

It was a dumb hire to start with doomed to fail from the beginning. 

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

We didn’t self-sabotage.

Yup. There would be no five year show clause if we didn’t tell on ourselves and did what 99.9% (us being the .01) of other programs did…go on their merry way and keep winning. Of course many of those programs were doing far worse…like paying players, fake classes, hiring prostitutes, etc. regarding personnel, those could’ve easily been fixed…but hey, at least we didn’t have an arrest. 

7 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Calipari at 8.5.

Izzo and Self at 6

Pearl, Barnes, Sampson at 5 and up.

Bennett at 4.8

Lloyd makes 4, Drew makes 3.7. Painter makes 3.6. Offer these guys 5-6 million and start there.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

With the new TV deal IU can afford to make Drew or anyone the highest paid coach in college basketball. Or at least double Drew’s salary to $7.5 a year. The man won a national title at Baylor…..Baylor. Let that sink in. He is also still only 53. Plenty of time left in his career. 

9 minutes ago, Feathery said:

With the new TV deal IU can afford to make Drew or anyone the highest paid coach in college basketball. Or at least double Drew’s salary to $7.5 a year. The man won a national title at Baylor…..Baylor. Let that sink in. He is also still only 53. Plenty of time left in his career. 

He's high on my wish list. Offer lots of money and play to his ego that he can turn IU around.