Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

20 hours ago, SamIam said:

Alright I have some thoughts after reading this thread. Feel free to respond.

First, Woodson isn't going anywhere. I do think things will be a little better next year. The shooting problem is so obvious that he will be forced to go out and find someone. Unfortunately the biggest problem is the system. I still haven't seen anything to suggest that he will go away from playing 2 bigs, and until that happens we aren't going to be good. Defense getting worse every year is very worrying. Luckily any coach could come in and keep all our recruiting progress just by retaining Walsh. 

The good news is we have 3 good candidates: Shertz, Shrews, and May. 

Anyone who says Pearl or Beard is not serious. Pearl is a known scumbag. Its not just cheating the NCAA - which apparently this board no longer cares about - Chuck Person caught a federal charge. I get the people who want Beard. His brand of basketball is modern Bob Knight, and he's one of the best coaches in the game. But there are things bigger than basketball and I don't want my alma mater hiring him. Go read the police report. There were bite marks. 

Shertz is great. I love his ISU teams, but I worry that his teams sometimes drop games when they cannot hit their 3's. That being said his offense is a layup line, and an absolute treat to watch, and he is one of the best talent evaluators in the game right now. He's lost damn near every recruiting battle he's had in the last 3 years and he still got Avila and Conwell because no one else was looking. Imagine him with a real recruiting apparatus. If you think he is the guy, you prob need to go get him now, no connections to Indiana so he will be hard to lure away from any other good job.

Shrews is a bit of the same, but more proven. He's my top choice atm. He should not be judged by this year at ND, he would lock down the state, and we would be fun. He has some of the best relationships in the state and especially at La Lu. Mullins, Sisley would commit immediately and Haralson wouldn't be far behind. Also important to note that Shrews' rosters at PSU played small because those were the only guys he could get (and he still won). When he was OC at Purdue they were able to play through Trevion Williams so he can play that way as well.  If you give him our budget I have no doubt we would be a monster.  Protege of Stevens and Painter, Indiana native. Young guy. Family man. Loves this state more than anyone. Knows the portal, knows recruiting. Plays a good brand and is by all accounts an incredible man. 

May is an IU guy, he's young, he plays a modern brand like the other two but one thing I love about his teams is that he can win in every way. Not hitting threes? They will drive on you. They can beat you through the post. Last year they proved they could lock you down. It's never one guy with him, he develops everyone to defend, shoot, and drive so they are crazy versatile. That is what wins in the tourney, you have to be able to win in different ways. He is NOT CAM. FAU was nothing before him and they have successfully jumped to the American with a starting lineup with the following heights: 6-0. 6-1, 6-2, 6-4, 7-0. Dayton succeeded before Archie and after him. The people shitting on him don't know him. FAU's gym holds less than a third as much as ISU's. The fact that they went to a F4 is a freaking miracle and we may just need a miracle worker. 

I think any one of these guys would be a success. The good news is I am 99% sure Shrews and May would leave almost any job for the IU opening. May will likely take L'Ville, OSU, or UM next year but I don't think he would have a problem leaving any of those to take IU. Shrews will 1000% leave ND for us. Next year the picture will begin to take shape, May will get a shot at the Power 5 level and we will see if he is up to it. Shrews will have all his young guys for another year. 

This season sucks but we have honestly good options for the post-Woodson world. I get we have been hurt in the past but there is so much opportunity to get this next hire right. 

Great post, thank you.

I'm surpised by this analysis. 

Shrews is by far the least proven of the 3 that were mentioned: a losing record in 3 years at IU Southbend, barely above .500 in 2 years at PSU and currently has a 7-15 record at ND. That's a poor resume. 

May has a better resume.

Schertz has an amazing resume.

27 minutes ago, Adillac said:

Shrews is by far the least proven of the 3 that were mentioned: a losing record in 3 years at IU Southbend, barely above .500 in 2 years at PSU and currently has a 7-15 record at ND. That's a poor resume. 

May has a better resume.

Shrews was the top assistant to Brad Stevens and Matt Painter, was an NBA assistant, and took a perennial bottom feeder B1G team to 23 wins and the NCAA tournament in his second year as their head coach. 

Feel better about his resume now? He'd be the closest thing to a young, sure thing we could hope for.

No coach that is brought in is going to be a sure thing.   That’s excluding the Hall of  Famers that are coaching in today’s game.  Not one will be a guaranteed success no matter how much people think they would be.  Having said that honestly where the program has been it wouldn’t take much for any of them to find success early.    Someone is going to walk into a situation where the program has only made the tourney twice in 8 years or so and has only 1 winning conference record in those same years.  2 blowout losses early in the tourneys they did make. Whoever is hired has a chance to turn around a program that has had less then ideal results.    Heck Woody could do something they no IU coach has ever done still this year and then what do you do.    If IU got hot for 4 days and won the B1G tourney for the first time in school history that would be interesting.   If you tell me no chance that happens probably not but there was no chance Ewing and a terrible  Georgetown team  was going to win a stacked Big East tourney until they did.   He was still a terrible coach and got fired the next year but stranger things have happened before 

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Feel better about his resume now? He'd be the closest thing to a young, sure thing we could hope for.

He's 2 years younger than Chris Beard where there'd be no hope and pray as he's already the real deal.....just sayin'.

5 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

He's 2 years younger than Chris Beard where there'd be no hope and pray as he's already the real deal.....just sayin'.

Program fit matters so much, and Chris Beard is so completely perfect for UL, and not a bad fit for UK IMO. He is not nearly as good a fit for IU or UM should either of those jobs open up.

And if I haven't made myself clear yet, both Shrews and May seem to me to be no-brainer very good fits for IU (though that would not be a guarantee for success). Schertz would be a real roll of the dice with upside.

15 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I have no idea who the next coach will be. I have my favorite which is May but that is just my personal choice. But I did speak to someone at the game on Saturday who said they had no idea who the next coach would be but could almost 100% guarantee it wouldn't be Chris Beard. He is not an option. 

May is probably who it will be assuming he's still available.  I kind of like the ISU coach a little better.  Mainly because he's completely turned around 2 programs vs 1.

8 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Program fit matters so much, and Chris Beard is so completely perfect for UL, and not a bad fit for UK IMO. He is not nearly as good a fit for IU or UM should either of those jobs open up.

And if I haven't made myself clear yet, both Shrews and May seem to me to be no-brainer very good fits for IU (though that would not be a guarantee for success). Schertz would be a real roll of the dice with upside.

Funny that Beard has literally been a good fit wherever he's gone. It's almost as if winners fit wherever they go. 

6 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Funny that Beard has literally been a good fit wherever he's gone. It's almost as if winners fit wherever they go. 

He’s not a good fit for the holier than thou IU administration. At least UM is elite academically so the mentality makes a little more sense. I’ll never understand it for IU. We’re an average school academically and, because of the administration, average (at best) athletically. So why the elitist, we’re better than you, attitude? Schools like UK will do whatever it takes to win. IU won’t. The results speak for themselves. 

36 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I have no idea who the next coach will be. I have my favorite which is May but that is just my personal choice. But I did speak to someone at the game on Saturday who said they had no idea who the next coach would be but could almost 100% guarantee it wouldn't be Chris Beard. He is not an option. 

With his baggage I'm not surprised Beard isn't an option. 

Granted IU set the bar so low with Woodson that hiring an active head coach would be a step up.

3 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

He’s not a good fit for the holier than thou IU administration. At least UM is elite academically so the mentality makes a little more sense. I’ll never understand it for IU. We’re an average school academically and, because of the administration, average (at best) athletically. So why the elitist, we’re better than you, attitude? Schools like UK will do whatever it takes to win. IU won’t. The results speak for themselves. 

Won't disagree with any of that, but that's purely a choice. In regards to actual fit, Chris Beard is a home run. Guys like Archie Miller and Mike Davis weren't a good fits because of their lack of personality. Chris Beard has all the traits to manage expectations here, very few do. It's why we keep hiring new coaches every 4-5 years. 

6 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

From what I understand IU is about one of at least 5 universities that have looked at Beard's file and said no thanks. UCLA already did it once before he beat up his wife, U of L is another. Someone will take a chance but we're not one of them. We might find out if UK will hire him soon. 

2 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Won't disagree with any of that, but that's purely a choice. In regards to actual fit, Chris Beard is a home run. Guys like Archie Miller and Mike Davis weren't a good fits because of their lack of personality. Chris Beard has all the traits to manage expectations here, very few do. It's why we keep hiring new coaches every 4-5 years. 

I have zero doubts that Chris Beard would excel at IU. He’s 18-4 at Ole Miss, a school with 8 tournament appearances. He's likely going to go to a top school and excel there. I’d be fine if IU hired him. He’s a great coach. Probably one of the best in college basketball. But IU won’t ever hire him. They wouldn’t hire him even before the DV allegation. So, we’ll just have to watch him succeed somewhere else. 

1 hour ago, Adillac said:

May has a better resume.

Yea, Shrews doesn’t excite me at all.

7 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

From what I understand IU is about one of at least 5 universities that have looked at Beard's file and said no thanks. UCLA already did it once before he beat up his wife, U of L is another. Someone will take a chance but we're not one of them. We might find out if UK will hire him soon. 

Since it's a message board I'm going to speculate:

1. Chris Beard's difficulties with alcohol have not been confined to solely the reported incidents; and he says he still drinks.
  2. Chris Beard's police-reported incident of potential domestic abuse, at age 40-something, is not the only time in his life he has gotten physical when drunk and angry.

Because people who make $5 million/year hires do their homework and word travels.

HELLUVA basketball coach though.

Just now, Ngw7183 said:

Going to break my rule of not replying to you. Probably bad idea.

First - are you Beard? His new girlfriend (careful if so), his agent?

I assume not, so the funny part to me is your probably have 500 posts on message boards campaigning for him when everyone with any sense of reality tells you IU WILL NOT hire him. I have also seen it that UL already dug in and will not either FYI.   That canes from a guy who knows about coaching moves. 

You then keep making claims like - he would quit tomorrow for IU. Really? How do you know? I bet there is a less than zero chance that if that guy is truly recovered from his alcoholism, that he knows there are situations you shouldn’t put yourself in. Any alcoholic knows this. So he knows a pressure cooker like IU is a terrible idea. That he has a low stress environment at Ole Miss. That any new job needs to be at a place with less BB expectations. 

all that is assuming he cares at all about his problems. If he doesn’t, then your whole, “he is healed”, is crap and he has zero self awareness or care to stay sober. 

so give it a rest. 

I care about winning. Chris Beard solves that. Nothing more, nothing less.