Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

2 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I rarely get annoyed with posters, but man, make your point and move on. My IQ is about average for an old guy and even I got it the first time.

I'm going to lament on Chris Beard until the AD either does the right thing and hires Chris Beard or actually gives the job to somebody else. This thread is about general coaching candidates for a job that isn't even open. Feel free to ignore me. You can always listen to fairy tale fish stories about Brad Stevens in the meantime if you'd like. 

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Are there any coaches at Beard’s level that IU could get? Because I do think that’s the caliber of coach it’ll take to succeed at IU. 

Drew and maybe Pearl, but that's about it. But they've established programs at their current gig and would likely play Dolson like a fiddle for a pay raise. 

Schertz record as a college basketball coach: 390-105 (.788)

Dude has won almost 400 games and he's only 48y old. lol.

I'll take a chance with that guy over anyone who has had middling success at a P5 school.  

22 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

If we keep feeding the animals they will never leave but sometimes I just can't help it. My personal opinion is mods should start banning people every time his name is mentioned. 

I have put him on ignore in this board and HSN. The only problem is you can still see his post When someone replies to him.  If everyone would put him on ignore and not reply to his post ye would just be talking to himself

Just now, Scotty R said:

I have put him on ignore in this board and HSN. The only problem is you can still see his pistvwhsn someone replies to him.  If everyone would put him on ignore and not reply to his post ye would just be talking to himself

Yeah, I was trying to avoid that but I might have to do it also. Thank you for letting me know. I didn't know it was an option. I knew you could do it on Peegs but not here. 

9 minutes ago, Adillac said:

Schertz record as a college basketball coach: 390-105 (.788)

Dude has won almost 400 games and he's only 48y old. lol.

I'll take a chance with that guy over anyone who has had middling success at a P5 school.  

Schertz might be the only "we're not actually serious about winning" candidates I could talk myself into. I respect the way he's worked his up from the D2 level. 

11 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

But can I still say Brad Stevens?

image.jpeg.48285f1395add0110f68a39004007d33.jpeg

If I'm Dolson I wouldn't even make the call this time.  He can pound sand.  I would kick the tires on Donovan once more.  After that it's a coin flip between Schertz and May unless the administration is willing to hire Pearl or Drew.  I'm guessing no on that.

1 minute ago, Kentuckysucks said:

If I'm Dolson I wouldn't even make the call this time.  He can pound sand.  I would kick the tires on Donovan once more.  After that it's a coin flip between Schertz and May unless the administration is willing to hire Pearl or Drew.  I'm guessing no on that.

I think you make a phone call. It doesn't hurt my feelings, especially if we could actually see good complete basketball for once. 

8 minutes ago, Kentuckysucks said:

I think I'd take Schertz over May but not overly excited about either one. I'd probably call TJ Otzelberger before them, winning 68% of his games at Iowa State.

Another name to add to the "up and comer" list is Paris Lamont.  Lamont Paris named South Carolina men’s basketball coach | WBTW.  Made some noise with Chattanooga and now has South Carolina ranked #15 with recent wins of UK and at Tennessee.  Midwest fella (OH), former assistant at Wisconsin.  If you are watching games this spring he might be one to keep an eye out for as another wildcard.

2 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Another name to add to the "up and comer" list is Paris Lamont.  Lamont Paris named South Carolina men’s basketball coach | WBTW.  Made some noise with Chattanooga and now has South Carolina ranked #15 with recent wins of UK and at Tennessee.  Midwest fella (OH), former assistant at Wisconsin.  If you are watching games this spring he might be one to keep an eye out for as another wildcard.

Which makes another point: May is natural because he's been to a Final Four and has strong IU ties. But there are many, many very successful coaches that fans in Indiana might not be as familiar with because they aren't featured in local media. 

I'd be curious who @Uspshoosier thinks are the super-hot coaching prospects from out of IU's immediate region.

BTW, these are the ages of some of the names being bandied about ... 

Dusty May -- 47

T.J. Otzelberger -- 46

Josh Schertz -- 48 

Micah Shrewsberry -- 47 

Didn't list Pearl and Beard because let's face it -- they aren't realistic options.

I only list these because I keep reading about these "young coaches." These guys aren't exactly young. Of course, they are to me. LOL. And compared with Woody, they are. When I think of a "young" coach, I think of someone in his mid- to upper-30s -- or of course, younger. That said, there's absolutely nothing wrong with hiring a guy in his upper 40s. Or even in his 50s. Or 60s. As long as he wins. 

Just for reference, here are the ages of coaches when we hired them: Davis (40 -- when he got the "permanent" gig) Sampson (50), Crean (42), Miller (38), Woody (63). 

(BTW, Detroit Mercy is 0-24 this season under Davis. Ouch!)

14 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

They were 11-21 last season. He did some serious portaling in the offseason. I think three starters are transfers.